Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to paint a case?

Options
  • 09-09-2004 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Have an old case that I want to set up as a server.

Its a giant case (an old gateway maxi tower), so opportunities for first case-mod experiment are very high.

The only thing I'm not sure of is painting it? Do I need to sand it first? Will any type of paint do? Will painting the inside have any sort of possible detrimental effects for components (ie heat on paint causing blistering, flaking)?

Ideally, I'd like to get some sort of rubberised or vulcanised effect paint. Anyone have any recommendations on what paint to buy and where can I get it? And what I need to do to the case (if anything) before I paint it?

thx

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Start by deciding what exactly u want to paint n what not... If ur not going to see the inside of the case why paint it(stuff like that). When uve sorted that out. Start sanding the case down with wet n dry sand paper, say 800 then 1000 then 1200 grade. When thats done get urself a metal primer(r plastic for plastic) and give it about 5-8 coats, after the first 3 coats start giving a light sand between coats (Make sure to allow for drying times as said on can). Then depending on what paint u choose next(I can only speak for car paints) Start with 3 light coats n then start to sand between coats. 5/6 coats should be enough.... After ur last coat u can either start to add coats of lacquer(lots of coats, brings out the gloss/metallic shine n give protection) and leave it at that R u can very lightly sand with 1400+Gd Wet n Dry ur last coat of paint(removes orange peel look)and then add ur coats of lacquer, sanding in between and sanding the same on the last coat of lacquer, then applying some T-Cut n then a car wax.... This is a very rough guide as its late n im nackered.

Try this for better detail, found it on a quick google search... http://www.twistedmods.com/article.php?artid=237

Ps. The Orange peel finish is by far the easiest, i know from experience.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=169745
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=168097

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

excellent - that's exactly what I needed - will post pics once I've gotten somwehere (and am not too ashamed of the results!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

i had an old gateway G6-200 case
    stripped off the plastic bits and took them all apart.
    sprayed with them with plastic primer
    sanded down the metal cover and had that primed also
    then i had the whole lot painted metallic green
    i had it all done in a car spray shop, worked out good apart from the cd-drives which were not sprayed and so stick out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Painting drives is easy.

They come apart as easy, if not easier than the case itself.
    Only part I wouldn't paint would be the actual tray.
    The tray bezel is removable.

Advertisement