Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More Seaside & Wildlife Pics - Howth.

• 09-09-2004 1:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

Wednesday September 8th.

It really has been a beautiful week of weather here in Ireland. As often happens, we get great weather when the kids go back to school, after a very wet August. Anyway, yet again today I headed out with my camera and camcorder, this time to Howth, on the northside of Dublin. This is what I came back with:

DublinBay.jpg

Howth extends out as a thin isthmus and then widens out and forms the northside of Dublin Bay. On the other side of Howth is Howth village. Its harbour fronts onto the Irish Sea. That is where I spent my day.

Howth.jpg

Just off the coast is an island known as Ireland's Eye:

IrelandEye.jpg

Walking out along the pier, the tide was crashing in and producing some lovely splashes as it did so. That is Ireland's Eye in the 1st and 4th photos, with a part of Howth itself in the 2nd one:
    Splashes.jpg

As there was in Dun Laoghaire on Monday, there were seals swimming around the area, all within easy view. I shot some footage of them and these are a number of stills of one of them:

HowthSeal.jpg

As I headed over to the other pier, I spotted this bird sitting on a rock having a good preen. This type of bird is called (don't laugh) a Shag.

Shag1.jpg
    Shag2.jpg

Heading home the bus comes along the Dublin Bay side of Howth and looking across the bay, through the haze I could see the Dublin and Wicklow Mountains. The Great Sugarloaf(right) and Little Sugarloaf(left) can be seen as the two pointed mountains in these, particularly in the 2nd and 3rd photos:
    WickMts1.jpg
    WickMts2.jpg
    WickMts3.jpg

The weather is meant to get a bit worse over the next few days, :( so I won't be out taking video footage or photos then, so enjoy these! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭boo4842

DSCN0229.JPG

DSCN0234.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Howth is only good for alcohol tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

ah no if ur ever up in the wee hours howth is amazingly beautiful. especially from a distance; at about 5.00-5.30 low clouds kinda get stuck on howth summit and if yourquick you can cycle up and actually be on howth summit looking down at the cloud just below your feet.

also in the harbour theres this one alley [im sure u know the one, winters :)] and u follow it to a real secluded spot where u can just sit for ages uninterrupted and have ur breakfast or something, and theres planes flying over every 5 minutes.

i used to do it every morning; havent done it in weeks now..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Flukey wrote:
    Howth extends out as a thin isthmus and then widens out and forms the northside of Dublin Bay.
    Meh, the isthmus is my hometown and it has a name - Sutton. There's some nice pics but even nicer is when you walk around Howth, starting out along Sutton facing out onto Dublin bay. There's a well-trodden path there, passing an old Martello tower. Cars don't drive down there, so you'll only be encountering people and you can get gorgeous views on a nice day like today. You should have a look sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

You're all a big bunch of namby pamby gaylords looking at nature. :P I thought I was the only one. Haven't been to Howth in years, gonna head out soon check out the sunset. Love looking at the sky and clouds etc myself! Great pics, more please!

Ross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Ioxy, I think I did that walk with a few friends, from the Howth village side around to Dublin Bay. It was December 28th a number of years ago. A few friends and myself were doing it. Every time you walked around a bend thinking you'd see Dublin Bay, you were faced with another bend. It was getting dark and we thought we'd never get there, but we did! :)

Advertisement