Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software causes cd drives and other hardware to stop working

Options
  • 09-09-2004 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

After installing XP fresh, I installed the security update for ms blast and SP1 with no probs. I also went on to install some programs like, AVG anti virus, getright, photoshop, paint shop pro, clonecd & clonedvd.

Then I installed DirectX 9 with the download manager and auto installer MS provides. I also installed a program called Cheetah DVD before rebooting. After I had rebooted chkdisk ran and when I got into windows eventually I got the error like "Your system has just recovered from a serious error". Then I noticed no cd drives in my computer. Also the modem is listed in device manager and I can query it but I can't dial at all...when I try it immediately says that the modem is in use...
    In device manager there are exclaimation marks beside the following:

IDE DVD_ROM 16X
    PIONEER DVD RW DVR-106D
    SAMSUNG CD-R-RW SW-240B

Sytems Devices
    Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator

There is also exclaimation marks beside the audio device (onboard) and the tv tuner card (pci).

I've tried restoring but after it reboots it says the system could not be restored to this point.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

Advertisement