Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NC2 impressions.

Options
  • 09-09-2004 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Bare in mind I have only seen it as a noob. I am still waiting for them to transfer my character so I can see more.

1. Graphics. The new skins appear to only show at 1024x768x32. Tried 800x600 and it looked like normal NC1 with some areas looking nicer.

2. Crashes. I still had crashes (3). Which is more then I normally got with NC1. This alone is more likely to make me quit. Also I was getting FPS lag which was annoying.

3. Models. Cartoony. Reminded me of Oni. The problem is the rest of the world isn't in the same vein, so they player models look really out of place to the rest of the world.

They now show the weapons you have in your quickbelt on the models which is cool. The PSI animations are crap.

4. Hacknet. Probably the best edition but in the Beta a lot still isn't active. I managed to get to a high security access zone and get a list of faction special items (which you can steal if you have the blueprints). Other then that, it is nice but can be a bit dizzy after a while.

5. DOY. It's a sh!thole. Graphics wise it is ok, but the place is just a huge maze of run down places. I guess the bonus of having a really crappy apartment is that you start off with 15 cabinets.

6. Neocron. They have changed most of it. Gives a larger feeling now, but feels out of place (because I've been playing NC1 I guess).

7. Hovertaxis. Are a pile of crap. Imagine a rollarcoaster ride that only spans one zone but stops and starts every 5 feet to take off/land. It is faster to walk.

8. TechHaven. The place is now carebear land. They removed all the turrets/guards and turned the whole place into a safe zone. It looks like it is going to be carebear central, or place where someone can zone into and unwind after a hards day ganking other players.

No idea what state canyon is in.

There is still a lot I haven't gotten to see yet. I am not impressed with the crashes/lag and what I have seen so far doesn't justify the price hike and total destructions of peoples existing characters.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Play the game in DX7 mode (go to the place where you select resolution,and choose DX7 instead of DX9). THat will stop the crashes, and make the game look a lot better. There are quite a few bugs with the DX9 renderer.

Weeee, i'm addicted already. Got me a lvl 16 character. I wonder if these char's will be lost when the beta is over. I hope not! I don't want to have to do this all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Weeee, i'm addicted already. Got me a lvl 16 character. I wonder if these char's will be lost when the beta is over. I hope not! I don't want to have to do this all over again.

Yea your character will be wiped when Beta is over. People who had existing characters from NC1 can retransfer theirs though. If you want to level fast, find where OZ is and learn where the Mutant Pool and Streetwork genreps are. You can level there a lot faster then anywhere else. When you hit level 20'ish (and your setup properly) head down into the high level dungeons in OZ. They spawn launchers which you can level until around level 30'ish. After that chaos caves or if you can get a large enough group the DOY Tunnel system.

TBH the level of bugs in the Beta are unreal. There is stuff in it that makes it worse then NC1 for bugs.

- Invincible monsters
    - Stealth 3 throws you miles (literally), sometimes into the sky meaning you will have about 10 seconds or more to contemplate if it is going to hurt.
    - Graphic glitches.
    - Whole incomplete areas of the game (Eg. Hacknet / Player vendors).

It really isn't worth the extra money they are looking for. When it goes retail it will be the most expensive MMORPG out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cows With Guns

I'd like to say i told you so, but i won't..

It wouldn't the sociable thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

That is about the limiting of your commenting.

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote:
    TBH the level of bugs in the Beta are unreal. There is stuff in it that makes it worse then NC1 for bugs.
    Id have to agree with that comment. The feckin thing crashes every 30 mins it seems, and ther beta server starts borking at about 70% load, and i keep getting sync errors.

All in all, its losing its appeal. Pity it was my first ever MMORPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

HMM First impressions for open beta are bad but i would not judge the game on this. I played closed beta and it was a much more enjoyable experienc good graphics no bugs / syncs and so on things we were promised . Before openbeta they added like 20 patches in one day and thats where we get all the ****s ups we have atm . Rember it is a beta and you are there to help fix out the kinks if the job is done right it will come out a really good game in the end . ATM in beta i got my tank camped out at the Temple of ceres as i couldnt be arsed playing the open beta server as i still have alot to sort in nc 1 . As soon as WOC comes in it should be good patchs in the last few days have been very good improvement im memory loss has been really good .I agree Char skins need tweaking my guy looks like the dude from mr muscle all i need is a pair of yellow marigolds.

Hacknet is really good been able to steal technology of other factions and been able to level in it also in op war situations 1 hacker can hack an op, after he hacks layer one he can go into the hacknet of the op and hack the other 2 mean while the other 2 hacker stay outside and try hack the rest, hacking on 2 fronts and defending the op can be done in the same way your hackers can be sent into the hacknet to fight enemy hackers .

Techhaven is the new plaza and is how the new trader shops will work and tradeskilling with faction limitations effectively a trade hub im not FA so it been turned into a safezone dont concern me.

As for the canyons after been bombed to hell raptors and grims took over, you can still buy appys its a uber huntingzone and if your AB it will be a good pk zone also a place to live

If it does hit retail it will be really good although i can hear the care bears now crying over been killed in plaza 1 and 2 and in the doy sectors no more safe zones :P . At first glance it looks to be a more unfriendly game but come retail things will change due to sl and symp meaning something . The main reason i play the game atm is for the op wars and battles between the big clans in the game, this will be greatly improved come retail hacknet bomber/carriers ect :P .

Im holding out till retail anyway see what its liked but if its crap i cash in fast 8 capped chars and 8 items inlcuding alot of mc5's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

anyone played AO alien invasion yet?, just wondering because the games are similar

What exactly is an MC5? I;ve heard the term mentioned, but don't know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

MC5's are the rarest chips in the game one for each class does exactly what the marine does but a lil bit better . MC5 = zone h14 supposedly the brainwashing facility reeza uses to brain wash the citizens of neocron ect. You kill commanders here to get parts to the chip and collect 6 parts to a chip and you can build it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement