Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installed SP2 and computer won't boot

• 09-09-2004 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

It booted once to tell me about the new firewall etc, it seemed ok and it looked as though there were no major changes. Now, on boot it gets the the Black Windows xp screen(you know where they've removed Home or Professtional from) then it turns off and starts booting from the begining again. It looks to me like a windows reinstall job, but I thought someone might have come across it, thanx.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Try booting in safe mode, run "msconfig" & disable all startup items.

Thanks JoePC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I hit F8, and asked it to start in safe mode, it gets to Mup.sys then decides to restart again
    I fear it's buggerd :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Yes sounds bad, If you must do a reinstall, Boot using a bootable linux distro & back up all your important files...

Thanks JoePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Fabritzo wrote:
    I hit F8, and asked it to start in safe mode, it gets to Mup.sys then decides to restart again
    I fear it's buggerd :)

mup.sys is a bastard of a problem. Is your machine a Packard Bell?

There's two ways to fix it, one is to boot into the recovery console and disable mup/mup.sys and the other is to reformat your machine if the recovery console doesn't work. I've run into this problem several times recently on customer's machines and even after sitting down with a PB techie rep who really knew his stuff, the problem presented no easy fix.

If you are forced to reformat your machine, you'll be hit with a bunch of errors about how your HD is about to die or how the windows disc doesn't detect a HD and/or windows installation. Ignore these messages! Once you reformat your machine will be perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

I had this problem with a system.. had to format :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

I also had this problem, had to use a self burned recovery cd because every time i went into the recovery in dos the machine rebooted again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭MazdaMan

Hi,

I found this info on Mup.sys and possible resolutions, thought you might find it useful

http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/3127/3127.html

And

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1073225053

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Thanx for the help, I stuck in the windows disc again and we're back to reality.
    I had a propa sp2 disc delivered in the post today and I loaded it up on another machine, so far so good with that one. The other one has a 1year old asrock all in one mobo, it's working better than ever on the new windows install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I heard lots of people r having problems with SP2 but mines seems to be fine now and i've had no probs with it. its been installed about 2 weeks

Advertisement