Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Basic and Access

Options
  • 09-09-2004 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Haven't done any VB in about 2-3 years, was just writing a small program in the last hour which has caused me quite a few problems.

I am just doing a test connection and pulling data from a database into a datagrid....

i am using the Microsoft Jet Driver to connect to the database.

Problem?

From what i can see the db connection goes ahead fine, but i can pull anything out of the database.... could someone have a quick look...

here's the code

Dim cn As New ADODB.Connection
    Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset

Private Sub cmdCloseCon_Click()

End

End Sub

Private Sub dataPull_Click()

Dim sql As String

sql = "Select * FROM user"

Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset

rs.Open sql, cn

Set dgResults.DataSource = rs

Set rs = Nothing

cn.Close

End Sub

Private Sub Command2_Click()

Dim db As Database, rs As Recordset
    Set db = DBEngine.OpenDatabase("C:\Documents and Settings\Brian\Desktop\Liams Program\db1.mdb")
    Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("user")
    Set Data1.Recordset = rs

End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
    cn.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; data source = C:\Documents and Settings\Brian\Desktop\Liams Program\db1.mdb; JET OLEDB:Database password = 1234567"
    End Sub

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Don't backslashes have to be escaped (doubled) inside a string (i.e. the Form_Load and Command2_click code doesn't specify the correct path.)

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

yup

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

As in

Private Sub Command2_Click()

Dim db As Database, rs As Recordset
    Set db = DBEngine.OpenDatabase("C:\\Documents and Settings\\Brian\Desktop\\Liams Program\\db1.mdb")
    Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("user")
    Set Data1.Recordset = rs

End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
    cn.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; data source = C:\\Documents and Settings\\Brian\\Desktop\\Liams Program\\db1.mdb; JET OLEDB:Database password = 1234567"
    End Sub

--- when i do this it claims there is a problem with the password, but this is the set password for the database....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Connection Strings are finicky little bastids, ain't they.

My top culprits for your latest problem are :

1) Connect Strings are normally case sensitive. If the listed opton is "Database Password", then "Database password" probably won't get picked up.

2) They're often space-sensitive. F'rexample...if you're expected to give "Username=fred;Password=foo", then having any spaces in there could shag you (e.g. 'Username =fred', or 'Username= fred', or "...; Password=", or anything).

Also, your queries etc. are being opened from teh Connection object which is from ADO.Net. The DBEngine code is from DAO, yes? Note that you only set the password on the Connection object, and not on the DBEngine call....so if the database is passworded, you'll run into trouble.

Unless there's some reason for not doing it, get rid of one of the data-access technologies before you go any further.

jc

Advertisement