Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Makelele to retire from the international stage?

• 09-09-2004 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Makelele ends career with Les Bleus

PARIS, Sep 9 (SW) – Chelsea midfielder Claude Makelele has informed France manager Raymond Domenech and his teammates he was putting an end to his career with Les Bleus.

The 31-year-old player, who got his first cap for France in 1995, did not take part in Les Bleus’ successful 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000 campaigns, as he only became a regular pick after the European championship.

France’s new manager Raymond Domenech having a large number of options in the midfield area, it became obvious the Chelsea ace would struggle to get first-team action, as Makelele was not picked for his national side’s friendly game against Bosnia last month and also missed last night's 0-2 win away to the Faeroe Islands.

Makelele then informed the group he would not take part in any further game of Les Bleus, as he comes the fifth France international to retire these last two months.

copyright © Florent Preynat

Anyone know much about the French players (Kaids)? Do they have a holding midfielder now? Vieira played that role but he's suspended for the Ireland match.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Interesting timing for his announcement I wonder is it a two finger salute to the manager with Viera set for a rest thanks to his red card ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

He's only "retiring" because he was dropped. He played v Israel and was supposedly cack, so was dropped last night.

Domench has asked him to play one more game, v Ireland. Hope he does, we'll retire him for good. Definitely not as good as his reputation, I've never seen him be brilliant for Chelsea. A black and blue Nicky Butt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

A black and blue Nicky Butt.
    Who himself is black and white :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

p.pete wrote:
    Who himself is black and white :D

:D;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Pedretti is the only replacement for Makelele that I can think of offhand. Different type of player but i'd rate him over Makelele (marginally) anyway. He'll certainly start against Ireland but I don't know who will partner him.

Like Ireland, France will certainly be most dangerous on the wings now. Carr and O'Shea/Finnan will have to play well. I'd like to see Kavanagh play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

He's only "retiring" because he was dropped. He played v Israel and was supposedly cack, so was dropped last night.

Domench has asked him to play one more game, v Ireland. Hope he does, we'll retire him for good. Definitely not as good as his reputation, I've never seen him be brilliant for Chelsea. A black and blue Nicky Butt.

He has been excellent on many occasions most notably the second leg against Arsenal in The Champions League, but was also poor the second half of the season.
    So far this season he has picked off where he started last season, in fact the form of Tiago and himself is one of the reasons why Parker is being kept out.

Advertisement