Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-Room NTL Broadband

• 09-09-2004 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting NTL broadband and was wondering if I wanted to be able to use it in two rooms what would I need to do.

I have a connection to NTL's basic cable package in one room, would I just have to pay the €50 to get a second point installed and move the cable modem between the two points when I wanted to use the internet.

Is there much to moving the cable modem around? I would imagine it's quite small. Has anybody any idea of how much a second cable model would set me back?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

How about just setting yourself up with a little wireless network and share the connection between the 2/any room. Would cost you no more that a couple of hundred euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

When i got my NTL installed, they installed a second cable point for free. Apparently it costs ~€2 a month for it (gets the cable and broadband through it) so i can swithc the modem around if i want. However the best option is probably what Adey2002 said - set up a wireless network, its dead handy to have and 'b' equipment (which is all you would need for the internet/games/streaming etc) will only cost you around €50 per computer and another €80 for an access point. You can find bargain packages also that have one or two card + and access point for reduced price. Handy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

When I was getting the free installation yer man would only install the point in the garage room(my choice) and no other room(bedroom, in case i had to move all my stuff up thiere)
    But he left lots of spare cable so I could plug the wire into the connection point and move the modem up stairs or to another room if i want,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

When i moved into my house 4 years ago, they had already the cable setup in the kitchen (dinning room), sitting room and upstairs bedroom (this wasn't done by NTL, it was done by previous owner), so when NTL came over they setup the modem in the sitting room, after that I tested and was able to work if moved the modem to the other cable points.

I end up doing a Wireless network, betwen the laptop and the PC, that cost me under 200, got the USB and PCMCIA from E-bay (about $20 each) and the Belkin router from PC world

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Wireless is the way to go - I have digiweb and a belkin router for my laptop and pda - really easy to set up. Why pay NTL extra every month (you can bet the charge won't be going down) for a one off job when you can have the flexibility of wireless (not to mention the ability to share a connection with a neighbour). It's a bit like the Eircom equipment rental/extra phone point con.

• Advertisement
Advertisement