Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Posting in VB3

Options
  • 09-09-2004 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering does the all-singing, all dancing, all slowing VB3 have a facility for cross posting across relevant forums?

It was mooted before I think but maybe VB2 didn't have the capability.

Would be pretty good for topics that covered to areas.

A current example would be the Israel government not allowing Palastinian Soccer players to play for their country (well not letting them leave the country to play).

Would work well for science/politics, PI/Biology, History/Politics, education/colleges.

Would basically mean more people seeing topics that they may miss by not reading the forums.

Any chance of adding this?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

the potential to spam is unreal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Not necessarily, it'd only be one thread, it'd just show up on several forums. How it gets moderated could be the snag.

Anyway, I haven't seen this option on VB3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm assuming he means symbolic links in each forum all pointing back to a common thread...

I'd have no problem with that, as long as the front page is adjusted to point to a single forum only (the originating forum?) being displayed at any time. By this I mean, taking the original example, should the original post be created in Politics, with the optional link in Sports, only the Politics version would be shown on the front page.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Just out of curiosity, would someone banned from a forum be able to "cross post" in that perticular forum?
    So would someone without access to/banned from Soccer be able to post your Israel/Palestine football example and crosspost it in soccer, or would the ban carry there too?

It wouldn't cause a huge problem if they could, just that some may use it as a way to circumvent a ban given to them.

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

johnny businessman could possibly post in a forum advertising his product / service and cross post that into loads of other forums. or am i completely missing the point here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Johnny Businessman does that anyway, it's just not as easy to clean up as one thread posted to several forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Au contraire, according to Dev, VB3 comes with mass pruning devices to eliminate such spammy crap. I'm sure a post on the mod board would allow the admins to make a judgement on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

what about moderator rights though? if something is cross posted between PI and Biology, who has the rights? Smiles, gordon beruthiel and sheron, or yourself Syke?
    or would it be all four?

I'd imagine that the rules don't differ that much among forums that there would be an issue over rights.

I'd say all FIVE unless you can see rules that differ between forums?

I figured that it would be 1 post linked in other forums, so that the actual post would only exist in the forum it was originally posted in, and so the responsibility of that mod.... or would it actually be totally seperate posts...?

flogen

• Advertisement

Ignore my lack of counting ability syke. i'm tired and i want to go to bed :p

the only problem i could see would be possible differences between mods over editing/locking certain threads and their views of what are acceptable.

Flogen what you mentioned would then mean that the mod of the forum on which its linked from would have no control over the content.

I'd say its a good idea in theory, just working out the way that'd leave all the mods happy over their level of control on whats going on the forum would be the only problem.

crash_000 wrote:
    Flogen what you mentioned would then mean that the mod of the forum on which its linked from would have no control over the content.

Well the mod of the forum it's linked from would have control over content, but I see what you're getting at... it would mean that the mod of a forum with a link in it would have no control over content.. so if a post was made in Politics, and linked to Green Issues, the Politics mods would be able to control content but the Green Issues mods wouldnt (but would still have to deal with the post in their forum).

certainly a dilemma! You could have the option for the mod of a forum to get rid of a linked post, so in the above example, if the green issues mod felt it wasnt suited, they could delete the link, but that just brings up even more problems...

hmmm.... but paper covers rock.... and scissors cuts paper... :confused:. Kif, we have a conundrum

flogen

Hehe. i think its a good idea tbh, if its workable. but how to prevent problems re: modding is what i'm wondering.

Well mods of different personalities and standards co mod many forums, I don't see how cross forum modding would differ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

flogen wrote:
    You could have the option for the mod of a forum to get rid of a linked post, so in the above example, if the green issues mod felt it wasnt suited, they could delete the link, but that just brings up even more problems...

There is also the matter, that it might be disagreed with by the mod who's forum its in. he will lock/delete and the linked people won't have a say

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is of course the "Move and leave link" option, but it works in the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

syke wrote:
    Well mods of different personalities and standards co mod many forums, I don't see how cross forum modding would differ.
    An example. A recent thread on the Landowne Rd. issue in politics got closed by Bonkey for not being a political discussion anymore. Now it still would have been relevant in Sports, Rugby, Soccer and GAA. Unless he can put a moved link on the thread in politics and it remains in all the other forums then this wouldn't work.

Advertisement