Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You have one bulldozer.

Options
  • 09-09-2004 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭

You have one bulldozer. You ca demolish one building in UCD. Which one goes?

I'd take out Deadulus, just to get those incompetitant muppets that call themselves computer services.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Syth wrote:
    You have one bulldozer. You ca demolish one building in UCD. Which one goes?

I'd take out Deadulus, just to get those incompetitant muppets that call themselves computer services.
    Heh. You'll be bulldozing the wrong building. You want the little prefab beside Computer Science......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Admitedly i'm not in UCD but i'm not a fan of the library.....just seemed claustraphobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

All the buildings in UCD are ugly - except for the new ones, which are a little bit better then ugly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭thebigmc

is the architecture building an old one that looks like a hospital? or is it a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

seamus wrote:
    Heh. You'll be bulldozing the wrong building. You want the little prefab beside Computer Science......

Thanks for the info. You've don't happen to have the architectureal plans and structural weakpoints of said prefab? :)
    All the buildings in UCD are ugly
    That's because a lot of them are prefabs. AFAIK the science and arts blocks were meant to be 5 year temparary structures. 40 years on, they're still here. Look at the Ag block. It got an award from the Irish Concrete Association. There's a plaque at the entrance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd take out Admin. Along with all its staff. Cos they're all morons. Daedalus runs a close second. Ask Syth about their CD burning facilities!

I'd take out Admin. Along with all its staff. Cos they're all morons. Daedalus runs a close second. Ask Syth about their CD burning facilities!
    Heh, what did they tell you? I used to be really good and trot out the burner for those who'd ask....

That there's one burner for the entire campus...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Please tell me you are extracting the urine?!??!

Sounds reasonable enough to me. Staff have burners, so do some others. Except that they did once have zip drives everywhere, which was what you could do if you needed to get largeish files out. But now most machines don't have them either. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

I think its funny that talking about the crap architectural beauty of UCD yeilds google ads such as:

"Immediate Factory Pricing" - Durable Quality Steel Buildings call xxxx
    "Prefab Steel Building" - Heavy, COmmercial, steel buildings distribution worldwide xxxx

But in all honesty if it was cleaver it woul dhave put up ads for Planet of the Apes 2 by now and Logans Run as I get a really 'Bad set' 70s Sci-Fi movie from the place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

the science block must go.i bet that mingin hospital smell would still remain tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭DrColossus

ya get used to it after a while, and youll wonder how you ever got along without it

pekelly wrote:
    Please tell me you are extracting the urine?!??!
    I have a USB CD burner. Really handy for (ab)using the fast download speed. However since the widespread switch over to Win 2k (grr.) I was having trouble installing Nero to burn things. No Nero = no burning. I emailed computer services. They basically said there is CD burning facilities in daedulus, use them. Turns out there's only one burner. So if we were to try to live by Computer Services rules there is only one burner for about 20,000 students. Idiots.

Syth wrote:
    I have a USB CD burner. Really handy for (ab)using the fast download speed. ..............
    there is only one burner for about 20,000 students. Idiots.
    Those two lines are linked. There aren't widespread CD burning facilities because of the abuse that would take place. Strictly speaking, UCD machines are for academic work, and it would be difficult to justify the expense of 1,500 CD burners, since student already have network storage space, and barring architecture and Comp Sci, most departments have no need for bulk data storage.

What they have is wholly inadequate though. A lab full of machines with burners would be sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

besty wrote:
    the science block must go.i bet that mingin hospital smell would still remain tho

walk in through the chemistry entrance i presume.

i reckon the library building could be the way forward

Wasn't the science block built in the late 1960s to last 5 years?

seamus wrote:
    Those two lines are linked. There aren't widespread CD burning facilities because of the abuse that would take place.
    True, though it's hard to get any peer to peer network running. If that was so, then the network would die.

However, what I'd really like is some way of using my CD Burner. It would be impractical, kinda pointless and expensive to buy several thousand cd burners, but they should at least let the people who have burners use them. If they provided burning software on NAL, or all all the PCs, then I'd be a happy hacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

I've heard that story about the temporary nature of the Science block. Look at the size of it though. Would you build a multi-storey building for 5 years use? I'd have stacked a load of portacabins together, oh wait that's what the Pharmacology dept. was.

Anyway, the science blocks would need to go, either that or give them some serious internal surgery. I have to say I like the different smells and architectural styles of the different blocks, they become quite familiar. Brings back fond memories.

I don't get why people are bitching about the science block. I think it's way nicer inside than say the arts block. It looks brighter. Plus having a shop real close is handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The Student Centre. Would anyone actually miss it?

Bateman wrote:
    The Student Centre. Would anyone actually miss it?
    I'd miss the grind. They do good sandwitches. Mmmmm....

That is true. But then where would the couch people sit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

god bless those leather sofas!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'd bulldoze Deadalus - no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

I say we destroy the new Health Sciences building while its still a weak fledgeling on its mother's breast. Then the Bulldozer might have enough kerosene/diesel/petrol left to get rid of that annoying little porta-kabin at the main gates

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

What building are ye in at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I dunno-that little room the library cop guys sits in-just to make him cry or something-if that cant be counted as a building then the creepily nice and pleasant quinn building where one can always enjoy casual slanderous remarks from girls with a years supply of fake tan on their faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Nah, not the daedalus - I'd make it the Student Centre. I wouldn't miss it. Would YOU?

• Advertisement
Advertisement