Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Earliest Memories of Childhood

• 09-09-2004 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭

What are you're earlist childhood memories, funny, sad, embaressing, priceless, share them all here! I'd love to hear them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My earliest memory is scrambling around the church at my sister's christening with two of my cousin's egging me on whilst their mother tried to catch me. I was just under 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This should be in All Things Retro methinks....my earlieest memory at 3 years
    is walking down the garden with my dad on grey day copying him as he whistled.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Earliest memory is of getting lots of attention from women dressed in white. I was in hospital for a few days having a second operation on a cleft pallet from birth. I think I was about 2 and got spoiled by all the nurses :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i was on a little royal mail van that i had when i was about 3-4 and i remember banging it into an ajar door to open it so i could drive through. my mam said dont do it again. thats all i remember of it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

sci0x wrote:
    What are you're earlist childhood memories, funny, sad, embaressing, priceless, share them all here! I'd love to hear them.

why do I get the feeling this is a project for school or something like that? ;)

why not share one of your memories ehh?

The earliest memory...let me get back to you on that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭blobert

I can't remember anything before the age of 3 or 4 and even that is all quite hazy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

Yeah i cant actually remember anything from my childhood.... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I have vague memories of my mam being pregnant with my younger sister, and I remember walking around with a football up my jumper pretending to be her.

A more vivid memory involves being set upon by a trio of marauding sheep on my way home from school when I was four. They chased us, knocked me and my brother to the ground and proceeded to bounce up and down on our ribcages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

BEAT wrote:
    why do I get the feeling this is a project for school or something like that? ;)

why not share one of your memories ehh?

The earliest memory...let me get back to you on that ;)
    Well actually, its a topic at school that gave me the idea for this thread. Just thought it would be interesting - and I can see from the replies that I was right.

My earliest memory is living in Killarney town, we were renting a house, and me and all the kids from the surrounding area were outside my house. They were a pack of messers and we were all on top of my dad's van. He came out roaring his head off and I ran with the others and hid with my neighbour, who was my best friend at the time. Her name was Sally. We left Killarney when i was 5 and i havn't had any contact with them sense :(.

So Beat, are you ready to share yours now!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

embee wrote:
    A more vivid memory involves being set upon by a trio of marauding sheep on my way home from school when I was four. They chased us, knocked me and my brother to the ground and proceeded to bounce up and down on our ribcages.

ROFLMAO
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

The earliest thing I can remember is waking up in my cot, I cried and my mum :D came in.

I don't know is it because this happened so many times that it's stuck there, or is it just one vivid memory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

earliest memory was being in my nannys house and wreckin her head.. she was minding me and seemed very old.. i must have been 3 cos she died when i was gone just gone 4..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

fragile wrote:
    ROFLMAO
    :D
    ever heard of karmaaaaa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I remember clicking on a thread called Earliest Memories of Childhood. Don't remember why though.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

This is very similar to one of essay titles on this year's LC english paper.....

Earliest thing I remember vividly is being the turkey in school christmas play.....how could i forget? I wanted to be an angel :( Or at least the christmas pudding!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

my lovely mother....left me on the beach when i was about 18 mths old.
    I still remember it, apparantly i was as happy as larry, I remember a red spade and white bucket with motifs on it.

(it was an acident ..there were 6 of us and no one did a head count when they got into the car, they were about 7 miles from beach before they realised i was missing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

3 years old in temple st hospital, preparing to have life saving surgery... i was playing with a model ambulance heh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Like embee, I remember my mam being pregnant with my sister. I was 2, she went to the doctor for a check up and took me with her. The part I remember is when we were there, they were checking the baby's heartrate, and I said "Horsies!" because it sounded like galloping :) much laughter ensued.

I remember her being born aswell because it was a home birth and I wasn't allowed upstairs for some reason, heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I can never remember anything from before I was around four.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

Going to a dance with my father and coming home with my mother

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I remember the day my brother was born, I was 1 week shy of 3 at the time. I remember it because we got a new car that day, an orange Hillman Hunter. Still remember the reg no too, KZR695. Funny what you remember. I also have vague memories of seeing my new brother through the hospital window, I think we were all in the car looking up. The next thing I remember after that is waking up this morning, cider is bad :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

mike65 wrote:
    This should be in All Things Retro methinks....my earlieest memory at 3 years
    is walking down the garden with my dad on grey day copying him as he whistled.

Mike.

That's a good auld first memory to have.

My gran bathing me in the kitchen sink. I had to point out all my cuts and bruises and there weren't many places without them that she could wash!
    I was probably about 3 I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

cujimmy wrote:
    Wow you remember being a sperm ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I was actually thinking about this last week.

I think i've always been a bit of a little bollox, despite the fact that I'm now quite tall for a little bollox. I must have been about two years old at the time because i was still wearing nappies and had only been walking for a few weeks. I was looking up at my mam and my sister trying to change my nappy and I was having a great laugh.

I suddenly felt the need to pee and thought that it would be really funny if I aimed it at them. True, it was a bit mean but I was only a baby so I didn't really have a conscience. I started peeing straight up in the air and just missed their faces. They were cursing and I was laughing my little ass off. They were shouting at me to go to the bathroom and I scurried across the room to the en-suite peeing all the way. When I got their my mam lifted me up over the toilet but I was already finished.

My mam god love her had three kids under five to look after at the time and was none too amused at the time biut she laugs at the whole incident now. Her and my sister still remember it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

My earliest memory is when i was just one 1yrs and got my photo taken professionally. My Mother still don't think I can really remember being that young and think I only remember it because of the photo which is still in a big frame in my Grandad's parlour (yes we still call it the parlour!). I remember looking down on the red and white dress I was wearing but the most vivid memory is when my Nanny spat on her hand and was flattening down my hair as I had this big curl at the front! I have a great memory and can remember a lot of stuff from my childhood. My daughter is the same and can remember things from when she was a toddler that its amazing - we moved when she was just gone 2yrs to our own apartment and she remembers that day and how excited she was and watching Barney that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I remember tumbling down the stairs backwards and laughing when I reached the bottom. I also remember trying to "clean" my brothers gold fish bowl by chopping up the fish in the kitchen sink, and I remember pulling a skid on my little blue tractor. All when I was around 2. Good stuff.

sci0x wrote:
    So Beat, are you ready to share yours now!?

I knew it had to do with school because I had the same assignment when I was in highschool and I remember what I wrote still because of the response it got. My teacher found it so funny that he decided to read it to the whole class. It went something like this:

My Earliest memory:

It was dark and I was warm, I had a bit of spicy food and didnt like it much so I rolled around and then began to fall. It took awhile because I had a backpack on that kept getting tangled up...I began to feel contricted so I stretched and the next thing i knew there were bright lights, light that I had never seen before and it shocked me so that I began to scream bloody murder. Then I was cold and realised I was naked, so I cried some more.

I got dizzy with all the passing around, I kept getting moved from one big person to the other. Strange faces but familiar voices...Then I was left in a room in a little box surrounded by others like me who were also screaming...I couldnt sleep with the noise so I joined in.

Finally someone came in and picked me up and we left to a much quieter place. They called it home.

BEAT wrote:
    I knew it had to do with school because I had the same assignment when I was in highschool and I remember what I wrote still because of the response it got. My teacher found it so funny that he decided to read it to the whole class. It went something like this:

My Earliest memory:

It was dark and I was warm, I had a bit of spicy food and didnt like it much so I rolled around and then began to fall. It took awhile because I had a backpack on that kept getting tangled up...I began to feel contricted so I stretched and the next thing i knew there were bright lights, light that I had never seen before and it shocked me so that I began to scream bloody murder. Then I was cold and realised I was naked, so I cried some more.

I got dizzy with all the passing around, I kept getting moved from one big person to the other. Strange faces but familiar voices...Then I was left in a room in a little box surrounded by others like me who were also screaming...I couldnt sleep with the noise so I joined in.

Finally someone came in and picked me up and we left to a much quieter place. They called it home.

You can read minds!?!?!?

ballooba wrote:
    You can read minds!?!?!?

why yes.... yes I can ;)

btw...whose mind did I read and what was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

My earliest memory is when i was three. I was outside playing with my cousin who lived next door. We live on a farm. My older brother at the time was into breeding rabbits and myself and my cousin were up on one of the hutches. She jumped off. Being two years older she landed fine. I remember her shouting at me to jump and me hesitating. Finally jumped and the wire from the hutch got caught in me halfway between my knee and ankle. Needless to say as i was "falling" it ripped it's way along my leg. I remember my grandmother bungling me into passanger seat of the car with her holding a teetowel around my leg and it being covered in blood. My older brother driving, and my 5 other brothers in the back SINGING as if they were going on a friggen road trip. I remember getting the stitches and the black thread in my leg. Don't remember going home or anything like that but i remember a week lor whatever ater my nanny and my brother pinning me down on the sofa taking out my stiches while i kicked and screamed.

Another early memory is Santa bringing me a little red piano that had it's on little stool and everything. I have 8 older siblings and the eldest of them and my folks were out drinking xmas eve. Santa must have came when they came home. I got up out of bed with the racket out of them and low and behold my toys were there. I pulled out the piano and before i even got to play ONE key of the thing my big lanky drunk as an ass brother decided to sit on it to rest. The four legs flew off and he landed on his ass on top of the remainder of the piano. When he stumbled off it and stopped laughing i lifted it up and all the keys fell out of it! 20 years later i'm still bitter. I could have been a damn fine pianist but i never got the chance. ~sniff~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

Another early memory is Santa bringing me a little red piano that had it's on little stool and everything. I have 8 older siblings and the eldest of them and my folks were out drinking xmas eve. Santa must have came when they came home. I got up out of bed with the racket out of them and low and behold my toys were there. I pulled out the piano and before i even got to play ONE key of the thing my big lanky drunk as an ass brother decided to sit on it to rest. The four legs flew off and he landed on his ass on top of the remainder of the piano. When he stumbled off it and stopped laughing i lifted it up and all the keys fell out of it! 20 years later i'm still bitter. I could have been a damn fine pianist but i never got the chance. ~sniff~

Aww thats so sad - I bet you always remind your big bro about it every xmas! I had a little blue piano that I got for my 4th birthday and I loved it - wish I had kept it. Thats another thing that annoys me is I kept none of my old toys. Would also love my dolls house back and my little record player with the plastic records.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭[Preacher]

embee wrote:

rofl, quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

My earliest memory is when I was aged 3. I was in my playschool, and my little sister aged 1 1/2 was there as well for some reason, sitting beside me. Every day we had to take it in turns to walk around the class giving everyone a plastic cup with an orange drink in it, and a digestive biscuit. I remember this day it was my turn to bring around the drinks, so I gave them to everyone then went back to my seat. When I got there, and I have a very vivid picture of this, my drink was spilled on the desk, and my biscuit had been half eaten. My little sister was looking away guiltily, then turned to look at me - I'll never forget the look on her face, she seemed so sad or something. I don't remember being angry about it, in fact I don't think it even occured to me to be angry with her. I just sat down and ate the rest of my biscuit. It's funny what sticks in our heads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

going to my first day of school and balling my head off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Pulling a clockwork wind up boat around on a string in the fountains in St Stephens Green. I must have been 2 or 3 at the time as we moved out of the area when I was still 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

cujimmy wrote:

Your real name isn't Oediphius is it?

(I know, crap spelling)

My earlist memory is climbing out of my cot to play with my sister. I used to be able to get up on top just fine, but I could never climb down, so I basically used to just fall off. I don't remember much since.....

Must have been about 18 months :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

Oh i actually remember when i was younger i used to collect every single insect in my garden and put them in a box, from ladybirds to beetles....
    and id even collect little baby lizzards... i can remember there tails coming off when id pick them up!!eeewww

Now that i think about it, it was disgusting and i would never do that now. :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

This memory seems early (it's from an ant-like perspective) and is not reconstructed from photographs.

At grandmother's house. I go into the living room where all the agults (parents, uncles, aunts, grandparents) are. My father and one of his brothers are standing in the middle of the room. All the adults are looking at me and I get annoyed and run to my father and put my arms around his ankles. Then I realise I've picked the wrong man - it's actually my uncle so I move back and change over to my father. All the adults laugh at this.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Lucy Lu

I was about three, we were moving house and Mam let me pick the wallpaper for my new room. Big Mistake. For the next five years I had to look at 4 walls covered in clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

I was 2 and we were living above a shop. Our neighbour had offered to repaint the windowsills to our place as he was doing his own anyway.

He left methylated spirits in a green 7up bottle, I saw this bottle on the windowsill and as it was fairly low, I was able to get the bottle, the last thing I remember about it is actually putting the bottle to my lips (ya know how kids put most things in their mouths).

After that I don't remember too much about the incident, apparently my mum heard me coughing outside and when she realised what had happened, it was a trip from Monaghan to Dublin to get my stomach pumped. Had my parents really worried because we were going to Dublin again a week later and apparently I was sick again, so it was another trip to the hospital.....

which was nice!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

Guess mine would have been bout 3 when I was taken to play school, by my mother, my gran-aunt and my little bro. I was showered with compliments all the way down and then left, it was like a primal panic when they left.

Like all the other kids I settled in quick and my next memories are playing with friends at play school. which is a lot less tramatic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭LadyPenelope

My earliest memory is about three months before my second birthday. It was Christmas and cold and frosty and i was very ill. I was carried from the car by my dad into my grandparents house, all the time i was wrapped up in one of those red oxford type wool blankets. Up until a year or so ago, i had thought i was about five or six when this happened.

I also remember my first day at school, and on the morning of the second day telling my mum that she did not need to walk me to school anymore, i could go by myself, i was four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dutchboy

I only remember back to when i was 6. Me and my bro were messing tidying up a small castle/keep building and he was dropping stones on2 the grass from the top, and i carted them away. As u'd probly guess, he dropped one on my head as i was lookin up.
    permanent scar on chin, lots of blood, remember it well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Shoolaboola

I have two...both from holidays in wexford, one was me sitting in a high chair, my dad runs in and says "the mackerel are running" and i remember having a picture in my head of little black fish running all over the floor....strange how i knew what a mackerel was back then.

The other one was when i was at a lighthouse on Hook Head (oldest working lighthouse in Europe), i was in a double buggy with my brother who is a year and a half older, my aunt and two cousins had come over from England, my little jack-russel dog hoover was there, and my two cousins were wearing weird sunglasses that i remember disliking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I remember going to a disco with my father and coming back with my mother :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Hagar wrote:
    I remember going to a disco with my father and coming back with my mother :D

HaHa :p

My earliest memory is eating beatles yes beatles at the back door of my house can't remember what age I was.

Another early memory I have is when i was two and a half. We were witing ouside of playschool for my older sister to come out. Somehow I managed to open the screws on the (glass.. it was the 80's) sunroof. Itr was a windy day and onbe push from my little hand was enough to send i flying off into the ditch.

My dad had to go around for weeks with fertiliser bags on his roof while he waited for a replacement from the breakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

I have many memories from my early childhood, but, I'm not sure what chronological order they came in. Unfortunately, they are all rather strange, so I shall describe my LEAST strangest memory;

I was roughly 2 yrs old and had just suddenly woken up for some unexplained reason. I was sitting in my cot. It was late in the evening, but everyone was still downstairs watching the tv (I could hear some form of a football match coming from the living room).
    I uncomfortably found myself sitting on some strange lumpy formations, which I retreived from my nappy, and decided that I didn't want really to inspect them after all. These newly discovered "treasures" were fired by my good self accross the room and rattled down the back of the wardrobe.
    I then felt that this was slightly wrong. At such a tender age I did infact have a concience and I thought that I should alert someone.
    After a bit of wailing and flinging toys on the ground my parents and older brother stampeded into my room to check on what was going on with me.
    Unfortunately, being so young and inexperienced in the ways of the world, I had not yet mastered the art of conversation. My gesticulations and squeaks in the general direction of the wardrobe resulted in the nightlight being switched on for the remainder of the night (it was sitting on top of the wardrobe).
    To this very day I never ever remember anyone finding my "little treasures".
    Hopefully they disintigrated with time.

By the way... I have other early memories... all more weird and strange than the last :eek: And as I've grown older... very little has changed! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

^whitey^ wrote:
    eating beatles

Cannibal.

Oh! You meant beetles! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Dana winning the Eurovision (little did we know then).

• Advertisement
Advertisement