Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship Manager (Irish Leagues)

• 09-09-2004 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Did you ever create CM 03/04 on Irish Leagues ? If yes, how are your feelings and results ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Only got 03/04 a few weeks back and been playing with finn harps in the first division, i like the challenge of sorting out their financial problems and getting upto the premier division and europe with them!

All in all i'm enjoying it at the moment, its being realistic unlike previous versions because i'm still stuck in the first division! Slowly getting a better squad together and getting the finances sorted with a good cup run.

Give her a lash Jack!

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irish_rovers

How many season did you actually spend with Finn Harps ? Did you ever try online network game ? If you want we can start a friendly network game on CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I am going into my second season with Bray Wanderer's and in the first season I won : the Leinster Cup , The League Cup , The Senior Challenge Cup(defeating Bohs 4-0) and The First division , losing only twice : once in the second leg of the league cup final (which was pretty much one already as I was 4-0 up) and I had my second string out , it ended in a 1-0 defeat to Kilkenny City .

My second loss was when the league was already won and there was about 7 games left , I lost 5-1 to Dublin City !!! :eek: , that was a huge shock to me as I felt I was going to go the league season unbeaten .

I bought and signed several player , but key ones being : John Daly , David Lowing , Paul Tosh and Omar Daley , I sold eamon Zayed as he had become my third choice striker . I can't wait for Europe :D .

I also managed Bohemians a while back winning the League and League Cup losing in the Cup final and reached the quarter final of the Champions League .(which I didn't lose as I went off to manage Cardiff , who I finnished 16th with just behind Villa and Wolves on goal difference , what im really proud about that is they were on 2 points from 11 games when I took over)

I love managing Irish sides and am really looking forward to three things in the coming season : Europe :D , having a go at winning the league , and having my stadium expansion completed raising ground capacity from 7,500 to 11,000 .

Still in second season with them, i'll stay another while i've finally paid off the debts so should get cash together to finally buy some new faces!!!

Can't do a network game mate, never tried it before and don't have broadband or the time!

Any advice on good players to get on a very very very small budget?

Farlz

Farls wrote:
    Still in second season with them, i'll stay another while i've finally paid off the debts so should get cash together to finally buy some new faces!!!

Can't do a network game mate, never tried it before and don't have broadband or the time!

Any advice on good players to get on a very very very small budget?

Farlz

Whats you're maximun wages for a player ? , I secured Omar Daley(Jamaican International) on £550 a week .

he cost 4 grand by the way but I probably could have got him cheaper .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I once won the uefa cup with pats

I offered Omar £500 a week and a big enuff signing on fee but he declined, don't think he was up for the donegal weather!

He then went to psv on a free i think, i know he jumped from a free agent to being worth over 3 million in a few months!

At the moment i have 2 grand to spend on transfers and can offer wages upto £550 a week. I'm having dilema's over wheather to sell a few players or not, i've got 4/5 players in the squad that a lot of clubs are interested. If i can hold out till next season i should have a better kitty to buy with, paid off the club debts off 1/4 of a million with a very good cup run this season.

Anyway back to virtual reality

Farlz :cool:

Terrible for you not being able to sign Daley , with my experience with Bray he was a great player , with my expierience with Bohs he was the best player in the league by a long way , my top scorer while playing on the right wing .

He is especially effective in Europe , as Inter Milan were to find out :p .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Started playing through CM4 with Shelbourne last week.

Third in Premier Division (:(), and in the final of the Leinster Senior Cup.
    Champions League Group Stage 1, (knocked out Man Utd in the 3rd Qualifying Round on away goals!! :)) in a group with PSV, Inter Milan, and Valencia. Only played one game of the group thus far, beating Inter 1-0 at home!!
    It's mid September in-game and I've a balance of more than 6,750,000!! :D

The board still wont up the 26K I have for transfers though, nor give me more money for ANYTHING! :(

(Oh, its my first time playing any of these management games! :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I did a season with Bray and won the league cup and the fai cup and won the division 1 by 12 points.

• Advertisement

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Started playing through CM4 with Shelbourne last week.

Third in Premier Division (:(), and in the final of the Leinster Senior Cup.
    Champions League Group Stage 1, (knocked out Man Utd in the 3rd Qualifying Round on away goals!! :)) in a group with PSV, Inter Milan, and Valencia. Only played one game of the group thus far, beating Inter 1-0 at home!!
    It's mid September in-game and I've a balance of more than 6,750,000!! :D

The board still wont up the 26K I have for transfers though, nor give me more money for ANYTHING! :(

(Oh, its my first time playing any of these management games! :))
    Just an update, :)

First year in charge, (Shelbourne).
    Into the Champions League semi finals ;) (Gotta play Olympanikos)...
    Bank balance of €23,000,000
    Just won the league too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

once your rep is good, demand more funds

Just won the Champions League with Shelbourne! :D:D Beat Olympiakos in the semis on away goals (5-5 :)), and beat Juventus 2-0 in the Final. Now have Shelbourne with a balance of precisely £35,545,591 :D Time for a spending spree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭mada999

well lads
    just wondering how yous are getting these great results with bad players. Are ya's using the game editors or what ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

With Rejects
    just scour all the leagues for quality rejects

Exactly! And design a good training schedule, can really help! Also, scope out your reserve and underage squad, some quality players hiding in there I found!

For some reason its just easier to get more out of League of Ireland players , despite them being poor I got caps for Simon Webb , Barry/Bobby Ryan and Glen Crowe while at Bohs .

Plus the side you start with at Bohs are well capable of reaching Europe's latter stages .

But always look for bargains on quality players . Players applying they're trade in Scotland often fit the bill as I was to find out with John Daly and David Lowing , and Paul Tosh , bought for a combined amount of £18,000 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I started a game as Manager of Galway United about ten days ago. I won promotion from the 1st Division in the first year and won the Premier League in the second , going into season 3 now and looking forward to bringing my team into the Champions League Qualifiers , I'll have to play 4/5 months of the season before the European games though.

I've had the financial restrictions that most have already mentioned here but have tried to counteract it by selling any players that are not part of my plans and letting most young lads whose contracts are expiring/expired just leave the club.

I have also managed to sign Omar Daly but he hasn't as yet become a regular in my team as a combination of Folan - Herrick - Oskarsson are occupying my midfield berths at the moment without any complaints.

I have also signed two other Icelandic players , Porhansson & Kristansson (Spelling ?). The latter scored 43 goals in his debut season and at the moment is attracting attention from English 1st Division sides Wigan & Gillingham. He's also got a minimum release fee of £425k !!
    Barry Thornton (Free) & Neil Wood (Released from Man U) are sitting on the bench at the moment waiting for their chance and seem capable of replacing my first choice front two at least as substitutes.

My defence really needs attention though as I have very little cover for my old stalwarts Frannie Carter & Conor Frawley . Jon Ostemboor arrived from Liverpool and got injured for 3 months in his debut !!

It is very frustrating when players on free transfers won't come though . Some seem to perfer to remain in limbo on free transfers than coming to Terryland and playing for me !!

Neil Wood ! , that guy can't make my U 21 team let alone my subs bench for the first team .

By the way Jon Daly is actually how a guy I was posting earlier name is spelt .(Stockport is the club , I had forgotten I didnt get him in Scotland) .

I have signed : Carlos Daniel Hidalgo(MMmwahhhahahahah) , Angel Luis , Ronald Gomez , Peter Hansen , Mitchell , Justin Hoyte , Eammanuel Petit , Paul Keegan(the Leeds one) , Fernando Aguiar(Sp ?) , Tomass Olasson(major Spelling mistakes in this one) , Dominic Foley , Dembo Touray , Hibs second choice Goalie , Anderson or something , and I have Wayne Henderson as my U 21 goalie :) .
    Also: Owen Morrison , Drakopulous , Danny Byrne ,Matt Rees , and serveral others not worth mentioning .

I played last night for a while and have reached the 3rd Qualifying Round of the Champions League beating some Eastern European team Pziliian in the 1st round and Wisla of Poland in the 2nd.

Now all that stands in the way of the group stages and big money is Sparta Prague.

English vultures are begun oggling my better players , Charlton have enquired about Oskarsson's availablity - Lucky enough I have a minimum release clause of £5 million in his contract. The other two Icelandic players have release clauses of £425k and have attracted admiring glances from Engerland too.

The problem is though if they don't buy out my players release clauses it is likely my boys won't renew their contracts and will then leave on a free.

Need some good defenders , suggestions ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

depends on how much money you've got.. theres a couple eof good defenders at sheff wednesday.. richard wood being outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Got cork city to the 3rd round for the euro qualifiers, playing barcelonia in turners cross. Its all good.

I got to the Champions League proper but lost all bar one of the six games in it. I have however done well finacially out of it , they've given me over 2 mill for transfer funds.I'll be back in the CL qualifiers again as I retained my league title .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Ciaran

I got UCD to the last 16 of the Champions' League twice but got well beaten both times. I've also got Stephen Elliot and Willo Flood in my team. :)

Advertisement