Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Questions on wireless and

• 09-09-2004 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Eircom broadband in the city centre.

Does anyone have wireless (irish broadband ) in or around dominik street/ parnell/ bolton street? Any problmes with it? Our organisation is about to move into a new office in this area and are seriously thinking of getting the wireless option however if this does not work out we will have to go for eircom broadband (though I am not even sure if it will be possible to get in our building as the wires have to be checked)

Would anyone who has wireless recomend it? if anything goes wrong is there a good customer support?

also with the eircom Bb does anyone know if it is available in lower dominik street??

Cheers

BTW (we need the broadband for flying through websites and doing research not games or hosting anything)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Ripwave is dodgy as **** it seems. But the line of sight equipment seems to be the bees knees. Its worth a shot with ripwave if you're within range, but it isn;t the best of things by the sound of it.

The line of sight gear needs to be put on a roof (which mightn;t suit ye) but is far more reliable, especially the 5.8ghz gear. If you are going with the line of sight gear, the 2.4ghz stuff is very prone to interference, and should be avoided if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

If you need a reliable service I'm afraid wireless isn't the way to go. "Customer Support" seems to be a phrase unheard of for IBB although they have improved recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Ripwave is dodgy as **** it seems. But the line of sight equipment seems to be the bees knees. Its worth a shot with ripwave if you're within range, but it isn;t the best of things by the sound of it.
    The big advantage of Ripwave is the "try before you buy" flexibility. If someone has Ripwave working from the Digital Hub East, then you could simply bring it to the location in question and try it out. Dominick St isn't covered by the official Coverage Maps on the IBB website, but it's close enough that it would probably work if you're in an office on the top floor - but probably won't in the basement.

As for Ripwave performance, it seems to be improving - I got a usable signal in Leeson street yesterday from a Ripwave Unit that is served from 3 Rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ragewave

Ripwave wrote:
    Dominick St isn't covered by the official Coverage Maps on the IBB website, but it's close enough
    http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/coverage_maps/Guinness%20%20Navini%202%20rev%20a.jpg

For your convenience this is the link to the new Digital Hub East Coverage map. For some reason, IBB haven't linked to it yet through their site, but I picked this up through another thread. I'm just inside it, quite near Bolton Street, and have had a lot of problems, including a 30 hour+ zero signal which was fixed this evening. But as Ripwave suggests, it might work much better if you're at the top of an office building. When it works, it's sweet and convenient, of course, and I still hope it will work consistently after some time, as some friends have discovered. But they had to keep after IBB support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Ragewave wrote:
    For your convenience this is the link to the new Digital Hub East Coverage map. For some reason, IBB haven't linked to it yet through their site,
    Yes they have - Coverage Maps/Areas Live/Ripwave Coverage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement