Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Isle

• 10-09-2004 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

Where'd it go? UGC.ie had it in their upcoming films... now it's disappeared with no sign of it in the cinema.

What gives?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Where'd it go? UGC.ie had it in their upcoming films... now it's disappeared with no sign of it in the cinema.

What gives?
    It's disappeared from the cinema?
    I got this in my weekly schedule summary from UGC:
    ISLE, THE (18)
    (http://www.ugc.ie/reservation/ChoixResa.jgi?CINEMA=61&FILM=82916&PARTENAIRE=SCO&VERSION=VO)
    Directed by:
    Starring: Kim Ki-duk - Suh Jung - Kim Yoo-Suk
    10/09 Friday 10:20 12:40 14:50 17:20 20:00 22:20
    11/09 Saturday 10:20 12:40 14:50 17:20 20:00 22:20
    12/09 Sunday 10:20 12:40 14:50 17:20 20:00
    13/09 Monday 10:20 12:40 14:50 17:20 20:00 22:20
    14/09 Tuesday 10:20 12:40 14:50 17:20 20:00 22:20
    15/09 Wednesday 10:20 12:40 14:50 17:20 20:00 22:20
    16/09 Thursday 10:20 12:40 14:50 17:20 20:00 22:20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

ObeyGiant wrote:
    It's disappeared from the cinema?
    I got this in my weekly schedule summary from UGC:

Do you get the schedule in your inbox every week ? handy... Im always walking all the way to UGC only to find nothing I want to see on , I should look into this !

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What gives?
    It's listed on their website here, under "Isle, The" but only from Monday onwards. Maybe they haven't decided today's times or maybe there was trouble with the movie print and it's delayed - this happened with Zatoichi earlier in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

ixoy wrote:
    It's listed on their website here, under "Isle, The" but only from Monday onwards. Maybe they haven't decided today's times or maybe there was trouble with the movie print and it's delayed - this happened with Zatoichi earlier in the year.
    I just rang up their phone booking service and the Isle is in that list of films too. However, when you actually choose to book tickets for it, the earliest show they have available is on Monday, 13th September. So yeah, it's probably just late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

I think they decided to run Phone a few more times, because it was supposed to finish today.

• Advertisement

ObeyGiant wrote:
    I just rang up their phone booking service and the Isle is in that list of films too. However, when you actually choose to book tickets for it, the earliest show they have available is on Monday, 13th September. So yeah, it's probably just late.
    Could also be to do with its certification problems. In the UK it had trouble getting a cert. because of a (this is in the Irish times) a scene where
    Fish hooks get inserted into a vagina
    . Then when it got cleared there might have been a mad scramble to show it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

What gives?

umm maybe because it was released today, its not exactly coming soon is it ??
    the posters ive seen of it have an '18' certificate, although i have no idea if there are any cuts to it....b******* if there was....all the papers are listing it as being released today with showtimes for today and everything.
    wasnt that whole uk certification problem ages ago ?? they've had 4 years since the films release to sort that problem out....seems like a stupid thing to blame imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

herobear wrote:
    although i have no idea if there are any cuts to it....b******* if there was

As far as I know there's about a minute and a half or so cut from it. I've had access to the film for ages but was waiting to watch it in the cinema. Patience ran out over the weekend and I watched it. I think what I saw was the uncut version. It wasn't that horrific. Very good movie all round.

Raoul Duke wrote:
    As far as I know there's about a minute and a half or so cut from it. I've had access to the film for ages but was waiting to watch it in the cinema. Patience ran out over the weekend and I watched it. I think what I saw was the uncut version. It wasn't that horrific. Very good movie all round.

thats from the bbfc version where there is one scene cut, yeah,
    im assuming the ifco release will be the exact same.
    the r1 dvd is completely uncut afaik, which im most likely gonna pick up.

edit:
    ixoy wrote:
    Could also be to do with its certification problems. In the UK it had trouble getting a cert. because of a (this is in the Irish times) a scene where
    Fish hooks get inserted into a vagina
    . Then when it got cleared there might have been a mad scramble to show it...

that scene is actually in the bbfc cut, again have no idea about the ifco release. whats been cut out of the bbfc version(according to imdb) is the
    live fish gutting
    scene.

Bzzt. I asked in UGC and I was told that they couldn't get a certificate for the movie because it's too violent. So we're not going to get to see it at all :(
    Oh and no, they're not replacing it with a different Asian movie (or so I was told). Bah! *shakes fist at censor*

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote:
    Bzzt. I asked in UGC and I was told that they couldn't get a certificate for the movie because it's too violent. So we're not going to get to see it at all :(
    Oh and no, they're not replacing it with a different Asian movie (or so I was told). Bah! *shakes fist at censor*

Too violent!! I have to say that it's not that violent. Not the version I saw anyway. Unless of course you count violence to fish and then it's the most violent film ever :D

You don't see much of the fish hook stuff. It's like the ear cutting scene in Resevoir Dogs - you don't see anything but you still feel it.

w******!!!!!!!
    well that settles it, first chance i get tomorrow im gonna order the r1 uncut version, nice way of giving the finger to the ifco :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

ixoy wrote:

I rang the IFCO and they said it hasn't been viewed yet.
    I doubt the violence would be a problem, rather the scenes of live fish being gutted and frogs being skinned alive (so I hear).

I rang the IFCO and they said it hasn't been viewed yet.
    I doubt the violence would be a problem, rather the scenes of live fish being gutted and frogs being skinned alive (so I hear).
    Well if it hasn't been viewed yet, doesn't that mean they couldn't show it? And even if they could, they may not bother in deferrence to potentially offending some people's sensibilities (we can assume a human being skinned alive wouldn't cause any bother...).

Did anyone else read The Ticket in yesterday's Irish Times? Here's my transcription for you - it looks like we may get the movie after all, albeit shorter than the British cut:
    The Isle was due to open at UGC Cienmas in Dublin on September 10th as part of the touring Asia Extreme season organised by the London-based distributors, Tartan Films. On that date, showings of the South Korean film were listed in all the daily UGC advertisements, and a display ad for the film was run in The Ticket, as was Donald Clarke's review. But the film never opened and has yet to receive a public screening in Ireland.

The Isle was submitted to the censor's office on September 8th, just two days before it was due to be released - very late notice at an exceptionally busy period for new releases. John Kelleher, the film censor , made time to view it the next day, but found that some elements of the film required serious consideration.

"We contacted Tartan and drew attention to scenes of sexual violence and explicit self-mutilation that were causing us concern," he says. "It was entirely up to Tartan Films if they wanted to resubmit the same version of the film, or a different version."

Tartan subsequently submitted an altered version of the film, which was viewed by Kelleher on Wednesday morning and passed with an 18 certificate. The film had already been cut by 110 seconds by the British Board of Film Clasification because of a scene of animal cruelty.

In his three-star review, Donald Clarke noted "the notorious scene .. in which the female lead, part avenging angel, part lady of the lake, inserts fishhooks into her vagina and then, as if that were not uncomfortable enough, hauls them out again". He also noted that in the film's "envelope-pushing shock therapy.. the hero does something similiar to his oesophagus."

The Isle will probably open at the end of the Asia Extreme season, on November 5th.
    Good news! Although we don't know how altered our version will be...

ixoy wrote:

just beat me to it there ixoy :P, and now i cant delete the thread i posted
    :rolleyes:

afaik, as well as the scene that was cut out of the bbfc version, the
    fish hook scenes
    will also be cut out.

for those of you who are interested, the film is available uncut both on region1 and region3 dvd

I can provide some stills from the movie from the uncut parts if you want :eek: There's some good wallpaper material there! ;)

ixoy wrote:
    it looks like we may get the movie after all, albeit shorter than the British cut...

It's good news that we're getting an utterly hacked version of a film? I'd rather not see it at all. The UK version was already massively cut and Kelleher is going to cut another massive chunk out of it.

From the IFCO website:
    "We operate on the basis that, as adults, persons who are eighteen and over should be free, subject to the law, to watch what they wish."

What a load of crap. I thought Kelleher being a film producer would have meant he wouldn't touch other filmmaker's movies. His banning of 'Spun' (which was unanimously overturned by the appeals board) and now this horseplay proves me wrong.

The UK version was already massively cut.
    you'd call a WHOLE 110 seconds massive ? :rolleyes:
    while i do agree with you on the censorship aspect, at least the cinema release will bring in the audience, to promote the film and possibly seek out the uncut version of the film on dvd.

Just a note to say 'The Isle' is now showing in UGC and I don't know how different this cut is..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Running time according to ifco.ie: 84' 53"
    Running time according to bbfc.co.uk: 88m 8s

... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I see it's available on region 3 from Cdwow.
    Anybody know if that's a cut or uncut version, running time is 100mins (NTSC) so I'm guessing it's uncut?

http://www5.cd-wow.com.hk/detail_results_2.php?product_code=12227

Running time according to ifco.ie: 84' 53"
    Running time according to bbfc.co.uk: 88m 8s

The BBFC running time is the length AFTER it was cut. The original length of the movie is 89m 50s.

So it would seem John Kelleher has seen fit to chop 3m 15s out of the film.

Just back from it. Can't say I'm impressed.

Firstly, the cuts are noticable and are particularly bad at times. The whole film seems disjointed - leaping about the place. I'm not sure if this is because of the directing style or the cuts but it really detracted from the sense of involvement.

Secondly, the print seems EXTREMELY dirty. Large black spots constantly appearing on screen, streaks, dots, etc. Very very distracting!

Thirdly, the Cert. before the movie reads 15PG yet IFCO gave it an 18 cert (it's not 15PG suitable) so UGC screwed that up too....

If nothing else you can look out for the boom mike reflection in the window at one point.

Advertisement