Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Network IBB?

• 10-09-2004 1:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

I have 4 PC's

Just got IBB installed. I have 1x 4 port 100mbps router and 1x 4 port 10mbps hub. I need the two in action (linked by crossover cable) cos friends plug in for lan gaming. Network works fine with all machines seeing each other but I'm not sure how to approach getting all of them able to use the BB.

What is the best way to share the broadband on the network? Is it to have one machine on all the time with the modem connected into it and then to use internet conenction sharing? OR should I have the modem connected into the router and just let the machines take it from there? If thats so how do I go about it? Also, IBB assinged me an IP, subnet mask and DNS server numbers - I assume I have to change just the IP address on the individual machines, but do I need to leave all other settings the same?

If theres an easy install guide somehwere that anyone knows of I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

You need a router with NAT and to be able to use one of its ethernet ports as an outside connection, preferably with the router running dhcp(just to simplify stuff)..it would sort out the ip's for ya. Have a look at you router if its not up to NAT'n ur stuck with ICS...

if it does have NAT'n and not dhcp, then set all the ip's on the network to the same subnet, 192.168.0.* would do fine, default gateway then the ip address of the router. Should be all u need to do really, netmask 255.255.255.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I have my IBB connected directly to one of my PC's with internet sharing enabled. I then have a second network card in that PC connecting it to my 4 port hub and the rest of my PC's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Killah_B wrote:
    I have 4 PC's

Just got IBB installed. I have 1x 4 port 100mbps router and 1x 4 port 10mbps hub. I need the two in action (linked by crossover cable) cos friends plug in for lan gaming. Network works fine with all machines seeing each other but I'm not sure how to approach getting all of them able to use the BB.

What is the best way to share the broadband on the network? Is it to have one machine on all the time with the modem connected into it and then to use internet conenction sharing? OR should I have the modem connected into the router and just let the machines take it from there? If thats so how do I go about it?
    Just plug the etherent cable from the IBB device (you don't say which IBB service you've got) into the WAN port of the router, and then plug everything else into the LAN ports (3 PCs and 1 hub, with the 4th PC plugged into the Hub).

If you've been assigned a static IP address, then just configure the router to use that. If you post the name/model of the router, some one may be able to give pointers.

Using one of the PCs as a "gateway" would be a silly thing to do if you have dedicated hardware already available.

(And the cost of the electricity for a typcial PC would pay for a dedicated broadband router in about 6 months anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Ripwave wrote:
    Using one of the PCs as a "gateway" would be a silly thing to do if you have dedicated hardware already available.

(And the cost of the electricity for a typcial PC would pay for a dedicated broadband router in about 6 months anyway).

I don't have a router unfortunately so I'm stuck with the ICS. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Yea buy a router. It's by far the easiest way to go. Setting up a PC as a gateway is a lot of hassle especially if you have not done it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

wow

that was beautiful man! All I did was read the manuals and look at me now! All grown up and showing off with the 4 machines connected like mafiosi!

thanks for the help folks

its all working sweet!!!

Advertisement