Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB and gaming.

• 10-09-2004 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Anyone with IBB play online, I heard there can be some issues with it? Is that right? Like lagging.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Packets: Sent = 32, Received = 32, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 24ms, Average = 19ms
    Control-Break

Pinging boards.ie:
    Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 30, Received = 30, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 4ms, Maximum = 9ms, Average = 6ms
    Control-Break

With the line of sight equipment, you can kiss lag goodbye. The 5.8 ghz is solid as a rock. I've gotten stable ingame pings of as low as 15ms. Ripwave is another story completely though, typically 100ms ping and higher.

EDIT: I just want to make it absolutely clear you will NOT get pings like that on ripwave, and you will NOT get pings like that on the 2.4ghz gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I have line of site equipment also and its a pile of old pants for gaming. Pings never lower that 120 and on average is so high its unplayable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I have heard that it is not suitable for gaming because of the latentcy. Don't if it says it on their site.

Adey2002 wrote:
    I have line of site equipment also and its a pile of old pants for gaming. Pings never lower that 120 and on average is so high its unplayable.
    Do you have the 5.8ghz equip or 2.4ghz? The 2.4ghz is higher latency and more problematic. Easiest way to check is to look at the little box IBB supplied you with. If's about the siz of a packet of a packet of matches, (possibly a grayish box) you have the 2.4ghz stuff.

If you have a box thats about 1/2 a DVD case wide, and about 4 dvd cases high, whitish in colour, its probably the 5.8ghz equip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Do you have the 5.8ghz equip or 2.4ghz? The 2.4ghz is higher latency and more problematic. Easiest way to check is to look at the little box IBB supplied you with. If's about the siz of a packet of a packet of matches, (possibly a grayish box) you have the 2.4ghz stuff.

If you have a box thats about 1/2 a DVD case wide, and about 4 dvd cases high, whitish in colour, its probably the 5.8ghz equip.

ITs about 2.5" x 2.5" I'm pretty sure its the 2.4GHz - wonder if I could get IBB to upgrade it.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

uaobrien wrote:
    Anyone with IBB play online, I heard there can be some issues with it? Is that right? Like lagging.
    Remember that IBB have a number of different services, with very different characteristics.

Ripwave would be a brilliant service for many gamers, because of it's low cost and portability (you can easily bring it over to a friends house) - unfortunately it has very high latency (ping times would typically be ~100ms), which makes it pretty much unusalable for any FPS type gaming that requires very fast reaction times.

The HomeBreeze service requires an antenna be installed on the roof, and that you have clear line of sight. This used to use the unlicensed 2.4GHz spectrum, and was prone to interference. Some people have this service with the newer 5.8GHz licensed spectrum equipment, and it appears to be a very reliable service, and totally suitable for gaming.

The IBB website doesn't give any details on what technology is currently being deployed for any of the Breeze services - you would have to get clarification directly from them of what exactly they would use in your case, if you decide to go that route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I have the home breeze - according to mutants theories its the 5.8ghz box

pinging jolt.co.uk

min 21 max 60 average 32ms

pinging boards.ie

min 12 max 31 average 18ms

that said, I'm having real problems when I try to conenct with all 4 PC's in the house for gaming - gets really really laggy...

I'm using and 3COM Officeconnect 3C857 router linked to an crappy 10MB hub - though have only tried the multi action play once (only had the service for 3 days...)

Anyone any ideas on how to improve the multi-machine conenction? Or will Ijust have to live with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

King Jerk wrote:
    Anyone any ideas on how to improve the multi-machine conenction? Or will Ijust have to live with it?
    Well 4 machines are a bit much :confused: three or two would be more reasonable. I can have two people playing on my IOLBB 128 connection and the pings are OK (they go up from 60 to 75) four players though may be swamping the upstream. You would imagine the extra IBB upsteam could handle it though.

I thought 2 would be no prob alrite - but its 1mb up/1mb down so I was hoping 4 would be ok... pings vary though - very good today... I'll give it a lash again..

Would a switch make any difference?

King Jerk wrote:
    I have the home breeze - according to mutants theories its the 5.8ghz box

pinging jolt.co.uk

min 21 max 60 average 32ms

pinging boards.ie

min 12 max 31 average 18ms

that said, I'm having real problems when I try to conenct with all 4 PC's in the house for gaming - gets really really laggy...
    Thats odd. You should have no real problems with gaming with anything up to 10 computers. My IBB connection can upload at 60kb/sec and download at 60kb/sec wihout affecting pings that much, i'll still get pings of about 60ms, which is well playable. So 4 computers should have no problem.

Check what the pings are between computers (should be >1ms). Then i suppose you should try and play online again with all four.

For lowest pings, i advise Irish or British servers. The best way to guarantee you get one of those is to use "Allseeing Eye". It works with loads of games, and is basically a server finder. I use that for counter-strike, and set it to only show up British servers, and i always end up with good pinging servers.

My advice: Grab Allseeing Eye, get a UK server, then try a few of those with your 4 computers. It should work best.

• Advertisement

thanks I'll check that out - I've noticed myself that I get much better pings from any european server, but I'll try and download the allseeingeye....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Thats odd. You should have no real problems with gaming with anything up to 10 computers. My IBB connection can upload at 60kb/sec and download at 60kb/sec wihout affecting pings that much, i'll still get pings of about 60ms, which is well playable
    WOW :) now that's BB ;)
    So 4 computers should have no problem
    Yes 1Mb up should be plenty for that many computers, as M_F said you should get All Seeing Eye It's a very good tool for gamers. Play a LAN and see how that goes ( it should be as smooth as butter ) then connect every computer one by one to the same server ( an empty one would be best! ) and see what happens with pings as each one connects. Always try playing on local servers your ping will always be better to the EU then the US or Asia.

King Jerk wrote:
    thanks I'll check that out - I've noticed myself that I get much better pings from any european server, but I'll try and download the allseeingeye....
    Yeah, European gives better pings than american or aussie servers. But UK gives best pings by far (except if you can get an irish server :p)

Let us know how Allseeing eye (and UK servers!) works out for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭deathcube ^_^

my other thread is getting ignored so i'll post here,

i've played on the ibb line in wired cafe @ aungier st and the connection is reliable while being slightly jerky in cs.
    Can anyone on the 5.8ghz gear post their experiences

does it compare well to eircom ?

i've played on the ibb line in wired cafe @ aungier st and the connection is reliable while being slightly jerky in cs.
    Possibly jerky because of the other people using the connection... As for other peoples experiences, this should help, there have been lots of threads recently.

All seeing Eye is the magical dream alrite! Getting pings of sub 100 all the time - gonna try it tonight with 3 PC's connected - will report on outcome
    :D

thanks folks

Advertisement