Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband

Options
  • 10-09-2004 3:24am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anoyone had an update on the broadband in the midlands. I'll be moving home to kilcormac in about a month and was hopeing to be able to get BB but eircom don't seem to be doning anything about enabling the exchange

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Broadband in Kilcormac, I doubt it, I was looking at digiweb sat as my only option. Wiring in the town so so old too, i doubt anywhere, esp the Park would be suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

I'm pretty sure Lastmile were planning a base station for Kilcormac, but don't know if it's gone any further. Might be worth giving then a call in Athlone.

I called them a while back (in Jan) they hadn't any plans, but a transmitter on Knock Hill would be only real option, can't see planning been received for that

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

You never know. They did aproach the council and me ould lad said they were kinda interisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I'm in the same boat in Tyrrellspass... Last Mile Wireless seems to be the only hope of getting broadband out here! A chap who works with them is in my course that I am doing, so he keeps me posted about their intended progress to get to Kinnegad and branch off along the way.

Seanie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ciggy

undefinedHi there, I am new here, I am moving down to broadford in Co.Kildare the end of april, just wondering do you know if they have broadband down there, or if there is anyone living around that area, could you tell me if you have broadband

Would appreicate it. :D

If you've got line of sight towards Kinnegad, this might be of use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ciggy

Broadford is before kinnegad, but thanks for that info.

ciggy wrote:
    Broadford is before kinnegad, but thanks for that info.

I know where Broadford is, but what has Broadford being before Kinnegad got to do with anything. If you've got line of sight to Kinnegad, you should be able to tie in with the Wireless in this area. Works in Longford and over much longer runs than Broadford to Kinnegad.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ixiathor

Hi Ciggy,

I live near Broadford .. no BB as yet but supposedly Last Mile will cover us when enabled. I've had no email responses from them as to coverage or live dates. Eircom lines only give about 28k at best around here. :(

Ixiathor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Bonzo

Does anyone know if this Last mile system will work in Ardagh Co.Longford?
    Their website says there will be a station there soon.
    Cheers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

@Bonzo: Sign up here . They obviously have it listed with a view to providing a service - or perhaps they already do...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Bonzo

Eurorunner wrote:
    @Bonzo: Sign up here . They obviously have it listed with a view to providing a service - or perhaps they already do...

Cool....I have signed up and sent them an e-mail.
    Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

CHeck out E3 broadband if you cant get any joy from last mile. They are at www.E3broadband.ie

Its satellite and you need to have a phone line for uploading but if you are desperate to have BB it might fit the bill. Seems pretty reasonable pricing, although the advertised 29.99 per month only gets you a 256K connection (i.e. half the speed of Eircom or Esat).

BTW, has anyone got connected to Lastmile yet? ANy reports re service, speed or anything else? Whats the chances of getting it before xmas I wonder...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Well from what i can see, last mile is comming to kilcormac. It will be a group scheme implimentation as the kda signed for that. Well this is what i've heard. The council have kinda said to choose last mile or eircom either way they will get it working for it. i think i'd prefer last mile, as you get voip where as with eircom they charge you for it.

TomTom wrote:
    i think i'd prefer last mile, as you get voip where as with eircom they charge you for it.

They can't charge for VoIP, unless you mean they give you one of the new numbers, you can use skype etc with any broadband connection regardless.

Of course, by the time they go live in Kilcormac, I'll be left the area (few months) but they have a planned transmitter in soon to be new home town

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

Gibs wrote:
    BTW, has anyone got connected to Lastmile yet? ANy reports re service, speed or anything else? Whats the chances of getting it before xmas I wonder...
    I have a Last Mile connection in Athlone. I've got the Residential package and it works very well. I've got a 512k connection with latency comparable to a DSL connection. I never notice any real congestion on the network either (I've heard that people have had problems with IBB).

From what I've heard, they're putting up a lot of base stations. They just launched a service in Strokestown recently. Leap were supposed to go there (with government funding) but they backed out and handed it to Last Mile.

As far as getting it installed before Xmas, they say that there average install time is 1-2 weeks, so I guess you've a good chance if you order soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

After all the money pumped in to the 19 towns around the country "THAT ALREADY HAD EIRCOM BROADBAND" it is sickening to see small rural towns suffering. I have the choice of 5+ DSL providers in Portlaoise, but any other town has no choice.

There was huge money invested in burying lines under the streets, when this money could have been used to provide wireless solutions like lastmile and digiweb homewave.

It seems that our politicians are only interested in lining the pockets of their business buddies. Some bloke from Limerick got the whole contract for digging up the streets causing disruption.

Geez, this angers me- to see how these short-sighted gobsh1tes operate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

They can't charge for VoIP, unless you mean they give you one of the new numbers, you can use skype etc with any broadband connection regardless.
    No, but they charge for line rental and calls. If you have a wireless connection, theres no need for a landline and the overhead that goes with it. A normal irish local area phone no. can now be assigned to a voip service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The internet IMO is not reliable enough for phone calls yet. It seems like mobile phones when they came out first.

Advertisement