Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More PSP Details

Options
  • 10-09-2004 11:26am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.consoleconspiracy.com/News/archives/2004_09.html#000100

Hardware
    - The PSP will be a modern game console with capabilites matching or beating the PS2
    - The PSP will hook up directly to your PC with a USB 2.0 Connection
    - It will feature 10 Digital buttons including a anolog Joystick
    - Features a color 480X272 24 bit screen with NO video out
    - 1800 MhaLion (Battery which can be replaced by the user)
    - Launch accessories should be Camera, GPS, and Keyboard
    - 802.11B LAN (can play with others via P2P or traditional Client/TCP servers
    - Only one memory stick (up to 1GB, 1.8 Mbps Transfer)
    - They joked it wil have No Dolby Digital out, just stero
    - The UMD will go in the back of the PSP from the Top.

Software

- Closed Hardware (API Programming)

3D Hardware
    - Display List for programming
    - Clipping (Hardware enabled)
    - Bezier
    - Morph
    - Pixel Pipeline

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I heavily doubt it will match the PS2..... if it did they would hardly only put a 480x272 screen on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

They said it was 80% of the power of the PS2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

those specs look so impressive, i might have to buy both the DS and the psp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i wont be getting the DS (i'm not a nintendo fan anyway), but the psp looks so sweet. get on google and search for the gran turismo screens and metal gear acid screens, awesome stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

802.11B LAN (can play with others via P2P or traditional Client/TCP servers

thats going to rock, psp is looking good

the ds is looking rubbish, an extra screen for overview maps :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I wouldnt go making accusations like that Brian, you should'nt judge a book by its cover. Lets wait until both systems come out then we argue over which is the better system.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

l3rian wrote:
    thats going to rock, psp is looking good

the ds is looking rubbish, an extra screen for overview maps :rolleyes:

Is the DS not going to have wireless Lan - or was it canned?

Let’s wait until both are out for a while so we can argue which has the best games - oh, no, wait – now, which has a load of games ready to play once it’s released? It is about the games, or should we start talking about how well it can play films, music, switch on your dishwasher, or wash your car - on the games board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Ill probably end up buying both. but i cant wait for the PSP i think IMO that it looks the best out of the two. but we will have to wait and see wont we.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

monument wrote:
    Is the DS not going to have wireless Lan - or was it canned?

It will have WLAN and your right we will probs have to wait and see when both are out. If the battery life on the PSP is bad (been suggested it will only be an hour or 2) then its doomed, price of games and extras will have a big effect on both I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Eh, match or beat the PS2? Highly doubtful. After I read that I'm not going to go by any of the specs given there.

• Advertisement

Eh, match or beat the PS2? Highly doubtful. After I read that I'm not going to go by any of the specs given there.

Why do people keep saying it wont match or beat the PS2? There is no reason why it couldn't even in such a small form factor, PS2 arn't exactly amazing by todays standards aswell.

the psp is pretty much entirely comprised of ps2 hardware - made smaller. basically it's the japanese doing what they do best - making existing things smaller and more efficient.

wether it does big business depends on it's price, and the price of the umd games/movies.
    as for battery life, it'll be 2 hours for movies and something similar for gaming. however, sony plan to release some peripheral which'll boost the life by double or triple the time.

official psp details on power:

Movies: 2-2.5 hours
    Games: 4-10 hours
    Music: 4 hours

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Those power details don´t sound great. They are worse than Game Gear battery life. And the 4-10 hours for games is nothing short of vague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

cant wait to pick up this baby in nyc when is american release date does anybody know
    Brock

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Rew wrote:
    http://www.consoleconspiracy.com/News/archives/2004_09.html#000100

Hardware
    - The PSP will be a modern game console with capabilites matching or beating the PS2
    - The PSP will hook up directly to your PC with a USB 2.0 Connection
    - It will feature 10 Digital buttons including a anolog Joystick
    - Features a color 480X272 24 bit screen with NO video out
    - 1800 MhaLion (Battery which can be replaced by the user)
    - Launch accessories should be Camera, GPS, and Keyboard
    - 802.11B LAN (can play with others via P2P or traditional Client/TCP servers
    - Only one memory stick (up to 1GB, 1.8 Mbps Transfer)
    - They joked it wil have No Dolby Digital out, just stero
    - The UMD will go in the back of the PSP from the Top.

Software

- Closed Hardware (API Programming)

3D Hardware
    - Display List for programming
    - Clipping (Hardware enabled)
    - Bezier
    - Morph
    - Pixel Pipeline

Great googly moogly! Spanking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

official psp details on power:

Movies: 2-2.5 hours
    Games: 4-10 hours
    Music: 4 hours

Yeah, they don't sound great.

Perhaps ahead of its time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

For something thats meant to be on a par or better than a ps2, the shots of Metal Gear Acid look decidedly simplistic.

Brock wrote:
    cant wait to pick up this baby in nyc when is american release date does anybody know
    Brock

Q1 or Q2 next year so dont hold your breath. There are alot of rumours that the release will slip further and further behind shedual as time goes on.

Rew wrote:
    Q1 or Q2 next year so dont hold your breath. There are alot of rumours that the release will slip further and further behind shedual as time goes on.
    there are already working versions being given to select members of the press to play around with (OPM2UK for example)... if it gets delayed it'll be a minor delay

• Advertisement

There were working versions at E3 dosnt mean anything. The devlopment kits have been slow to ship and if there is no software there is no launch. The kit that the press get there hands on may not even be full 1.0 hardware We will just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

4-10 gaming = crapness.

PSP is getting priced in Japan at $300, so double the cost of a DS...

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1241572157292348/
    We think he may have put his foot in his mouth when he let slip that the MSRP for the Sony’s portable PSP gaming machine will be 33000Y (just over 300 of our American dollars), but we thank Sony’s German Managing Director anyway—we live for these mistakes. Since Nintendo announced its DS will be priced at $149 yesterday morning, Sony will have quite a fight selling the PSP at double the price. We reported that Electronics Boutique was taking pre-orders for the PSP for $299 back in July and, hey, maybe they did know what they were doing. We feel comforted in knowing that those analysts claiming the PSP would be five bills were totally wrong.

Few pics and details coming from the Tokyo Games Show

tgs_1937.jpg

tgs_1971.jpg

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/tgs-more-sony-psp-021949.php
    There's a boatload more images from the Tokyo Game Show coming through (more than just that remote, I'm saying), although they're mostly just shots of the PSP. I thought this one was precious, though. No word if Sony plans to sell all PSPs with an attached girl on a chain.

Allegedly there are 44 PSPs available for play at TGS, and one thing the author of this article
    pointed out is that the demonstration units were all playing games - there were no demo units playing video (unlike at E3).

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/tgs-sony-psp-remote-021947.php

psp_remote.jpg
    Sony PSP in-line remote

10 Hours of Music
    8 Hours of Games
    2.5 Hours of Video

http://www.3dnewz.com/forumz/showthread.php?s=&postid=259965

psp_batterylife.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That 8 hour battery life still seems vague. The paragraph underneath says to me 'if the processor isn't too taxed by the games then it might be 8 hours. Realistically its less'.

Looks very big but the widescreen is yummy. Hope its better protected from scratches than the GBA screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

its a bit big for the old pocket no ? scangers dream come true.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I'd be lying if I said i didn't think it was cool.

It's one thing to carry a 300 - 400 euro ipod around in your pocket. But to play this thing even on a bus..... it better come with some sort of thievery insurance.

Here's an article that claims the PSP is going to come in 3 deals:

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/rumor-sony-psp-pricing-packages-022583.php

* PSP Package 1: $199.99
    * 1 Rechargable Battery
    * 1 Charger (for the battery)
    * 32MB MemoryStick duo

* PSP Package 2: $299.99
    * 1 Rechargable Battery
    * 1 Charger
    * 64MB MemoryStick Duo
    * Strap with built-in Headphones
    * Camera

* PSP Package 3: $ 349.99
    * 1 Rechargable battery
    * 1 Charger
    * 256MB MemoryStick Duo
    * Strap with built-in Headphones
    * Camera
    * Aluminium Case
    * GPS Device
    * Translation Software (TalkMan)
    May or may not be true...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

it's not going to be that cheap. they wont throw all that stuff in. they know they can rip fools off more for memory sticks and the likes. its gonna be like the ipod except i dont think it will do well. music is different. with an ipod you can have all your music you like on onelittle thing and you listen to it wherever. you wont see people walking around with these things, sure people dont even play gbas in public really. ive only seen a handful of people,since the gba came out, playing on the bus. people will play their playstation when they go home not one the move for about ten minutes and then have to stop cause the battery might go.

Advertisement