Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More PSP Details

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

It's looking HUGE in those pictures as well. i like the idea of the bigger screen thuogh but as mr.freak scenery says "ahead of it's time maybe?" i think it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

evad_lhorg wrote:
    It's looking HUGE in those pictures as well. i like the idea of the bigger screen thuogh but as mr.freak scenery says "ahead of it's time maybe?" i think it is.

The pic of it that looks huge (shows the back of the unit) is just the way the picture was taken and the lens that was used. It is big just not as big as it looks there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Or else she has extremely small hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ghostdogkilla

Battery times will always be the absolute lowest put in the "official" specs and probably even less than that. So Id expect 4 hours tops from games which is ****e.

Battery times sound like they will cary a bit with games.

The prices I listed abouve seem to have been proved fake in a few places around the net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/04/news_6109524.html
    Sony's PSP is at "high risk" of a substantial delay--into next year for Japan, and perhaps all the way back to November 2005 for the US market. That's the word from two separate memos sent on consecutive business days from noted industry analysts.

On Friday, PJ McNealy of American Technology Research published a report that questioned whether the PSP software shown at the Tokyo Game Show--many of which were explicitly stated as only being 50 to 60 percent complete--would be ready for the Japanese launch of the system, currently slated for this December. "The launch of the PSP in Japan this holiday season continues to be at risk," wrote McNealy. "If [Sony] misses the PSP Japan launch schedule, it could affect the announced March quarter North American launch and would be considered a negative to the video game publishers."

McNealy went on to describe two "likely" scenarios for the Japanese launch of the system. The first was a December launch with a "disappointing" launch lineup of "approximately five or fewer titles." This would seemingly contradict Electronic Arts' announcement that Tiger Woods and Need For Speed would launch alongside the PSP in Japan and the US, although McNealy did note in his report that "not all targeted launch titles were likely shown at TGS."

The second scenario posed by McNealy was a delay into January or later. If said delay, McNealy notes, was entirely software-related, it might not affect the March launch in the US. But if there are indeed "hardware issues such as battery management," McNealy sees the US launch window slipping into June.

Meanwhile, Piper Jaffray & Co. paints an even gloomier picture for the PSP's launch ambitions. In a report released today, the securities firm expects the handheld "to launch later than the current March 2005 expectation. First, Sony is usually late with most product introductions… and we are hearing that the platform has other issues such as thermal problems (transistors are running very hot) and a very short battery life (90 minutes) that will almost certainly delay the launch." All this points to a November 2005 launch in the US (possibly alongside the next Xbox system), the report concludes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Release date of March confirmed for the PSP in Europe.

http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=7930
    We can reveal that the PSP, Sony’s ever-controversial handheld PlayStation 2 derivative, will be released into Europe towards the end of March 2005.

The news comes following our discussions with several large media owners in the UK, all of which have seen considerable bookings for the PSP throughout the month, with Sony stating to them that the machine will hit then.

“The console is launching in March, at least in the UK. Either that or Sony’s marketing department has decided to rewrite the rulebook,” we were told by one source this afternoon.

All of which makes for a somewhat thrilling showdown between Nintendo and SCEE, with both firms planning to release their respective next-generation handhelds within weeks of each other.

Release date of March confirmed for the PSP in Europe.

http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=7930

Battery life is petty much confirmed to be as low as 2 or less hours for any decent game so unless they sort that its going to flop....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

It wont flop, the mindless public will still buy it without researching, just because its Sony.

It annoys me when people don't look into things properly before they make purchase. I can imagine how annoying it will be when a few weeks after the launch Game shops will be bombarded with people bringing it back saying the battery is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

any more updates on it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

It wont flop, the mindless public will still buy it without researching, just because its Sony.

It annoys me when people don't look into things properly before they make purchase. I can imagine how annoying it will be when a few weeks after the launch Game shops will be bombarded with people bringing it back saying the battery is broken.

I don't think it will flop but on paper it looks like the DS will do consistently better over a large time frame. I've noticed that Playstationers tend not to be hardcore gamers (not that I'm saying there aren't any) and so might not be interested in a handheld or might buy it but after the novelty wears of they'll stop using it and go back to their casual PS2 gaming. This is, in my opinion, for one main reason (although there are others):

1. Alot of people when buying a console (especially younger gamers) are more swayed by it's popularity/the fact their friends have it/the (admittedly) excellent advertising and don't consider game quality or originality that much. It's a lot like people buying an iPod instead of a Zen because of the iPod's image (I admittedly own an iPod). Basically it's better graphics = better everything with them.

The fact that the DS has already received 2,000,000 preorders in Japan alone compared with a lesser number for the PSP I feel typifies this situation.

Am I the only one who thinks the PSP looks too bulky. You can't quite see it in the pics but if you look close it's very deep and looks heavy.

I'm a Nintendo nut and wouldn't touch a PSP will a 7m science poll on principle alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Am I the only one who thinks the PSP looks too bulky

If by bulky you mean absolutly ****ing huge then yes i agree.
    How on earth you would call this a portable games machine is beyond me.
    Not viable option for me im afraid. Reminds me of the very first nokia fones that
    you could use to bludgeon a person to death with if the battery ever ran out.
    If the reviews of the ds are good i will probably opt for that, mainly due to the
    backward compatibility with old gba advance games.

Advertisement