Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice needed on 2nd hand Diesel

Options
  • 10-09-2004 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Any recommendations for a 2002 or 2003 diesel?

I'll be doing 30k a year in it so comfort and extras are a must.

Budget is circa €25k.

At the moment I'm considering.......

Laguna
    A4
    Maxda6
    Passat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

For peace of mind bearing, given your mileage I'd go for the Passat, as it'll offer better value over the Audi (same mechanicals remember).

Someone is bound to say "top spec Skoda Octavia"! :)

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

top spec Skoda Octavia!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

The new Toyota Corrolla is now available in a 1.4 diesel. Would be worth a look. Saves on Fuel and insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

If comfort is a big priority I'd recommend the Laguna 1.9dci 120 Super Sport. The Laguna is a very comfortable car and I know a couple of people who drive theirs over long distances every year and they are thoroughly happy with them. The Laguna also comes with good standard features like climate, alloys, multiple air bags and that key. Plus it got 5 stars in the NCAP awards so it's one of the safest cars to be in.
    But if you decide to go for one, avoid 17" alloys as they marr the ride with their low profile tyres.
    Would you consider a Peugeot 406 110HDi? They might be a bit dated looking but they are great long distance drivers and now that the 407 is out, their values have dropped. You'd probably get a hi-spec '03 and have change left with your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,392 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you need a lot of space, get the Skoda Superb (same car but cheaper and bigger than Passat and A4), if not buy a brand new Skoda Octavia and look forward to low depreciation and running costs and 10000 taxi drivers that will fight to take it of you in a few years time :)

Dark horse: 2001 BMW 320d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭denachoman

would defo consider the Octavia but am leaning towards the Laguna at the moment.
    Anyone have anything bad to say about the Laguna?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Not the diesel in particular, but i used to work with a woman who traded her brand new Laguna in for a Corolla after less than a year due to endless problems that could not be fixed by the dealership. I'm not sure what they were, but there was a lot of niggly stuff, like doors not sealing correctly and leaking water into the cabin. She wasn't doing anything like 30k per year. There's probably a similar story about any other model if one looks hard enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

Don't get 17" alloys on the Laguna! Tyres blow real easy if you hit a pot hole. Friend has one and has blown 3 tyres. The tyres cost her 150 each to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,392 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If reliability is important to you, I wouldn't recommend the Laguna. In the reliability / customer satisfaction surveys it doesn't do well at all, whereas the Skoda has won the JD Power survey for the third year in a row for family sized cars

Lots of happy owners - what more can one say :)

Advertisement