Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Adsl

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

Anyone got any contact names at Digiweb ? They will have alot of angry customers soon to be ex customers on their phones tomorrow.

Main free phone number 1800 285828
    Main national number 042 939 6410

[snipped]

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Danny, I have been doing the test on and off for the last 45 mins and all of a sudden I have gotten these results:
    Direction
    Actual Speed
    True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 471 Kbps (58.9 KB/sec) 508 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 398 Kbps (49.8 KB/sec) 429 Kbps (inc. overheads)

All along I was getting in the 90's and 100's kbps. This is a big difference.

I have just carried out the test again and now look:
    Direction
    Actual Speed
    True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 70 Kbps (8.8 KB/sec) 75 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 66 Kbps (8.3 KB/sec) 71 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Can someone please explain these results to me because I'm baffled.

Leonard wrote:
    Danny, I have been doing the test on and off for the last 45 mins and all of a sudden I have gotten these results:
    Direction
    Actual Speed
    True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 471 Kbps (58.9 KB/sec) 508 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 398 Kbps (49.8 KB/sec) 429 Kbps (inc. overheads)

All along I was getting in the 90's and 100's kbps. This is a big difference.

I have just carried out the test again and now look:
    Direction
    Actual Speed
    True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 70 Kbps (8.8 KB/sec) 75 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Can someone please explain these results to me because I'm baffled.

Actual Speed

True Speed (estimated)

Downstream
    141 Kbps (17.6 KB/sec)
    152 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Upstream
    84 Kbps (10.5 KB/sec)
    90 Kbps (inc. overheads)

and again
    Downstream
    148 Kbps (18.5 KB/sec)
    159 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Upstream
    154 Kbps (19.3 KB/sec)
    166 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Below are the rough speeds we should be getting. I'm getting 148Kbps when I should be getting approx 920Kbps for a 1Mbps connection. Your getting nothing like you should Leonard, give them a phone call tomorrow.

Connection Download Upload
    512Kbps 460 Kbps 220-260 Kbps
    1Mbps 920 Kbps 220-260 Kbps

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Downstream
    240 Kbps (30.0 KB/sec) actual
    259 Kbps (inc. overheads) true

Upstream
    98 Kbps (12.3 KB/sec) actual
    105 Kbps (inc. overheads) true

untitled.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

woah so im not the only one then.....right im ringing them 2moro whos with me all ring in and complaine tell them we dont want the service anymore unless we see it fixed later tomorrow evening....that test didnt work but my speeds are wait for it

on a 1mb connection usualy 840k its now 76k wtf digiweb even €ircom can do better than that.....tanx lads i would of tought it was my line but if your all getting the same its digiweb fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

freekhead wrote:
    woah so im not the only one then.....right im ringing them 2moro whos with me all ring in and complaine tell them we dont want the service anymore unless we see it fixed later tomorrow evening....that test didnt work but my speeds are wait for it

on a 1mb connection usualy 840k its now 76k wtf digiweb even €ircom can do better than that.....tanx lads i would of tought it was my line but if your all getting the same its digiweb fault

that's what pisses me really, you ring them, they deny it's their fault! :mad:

and btw, about ringing them, they fix it for a day, and then it goes back to being a BS! they have done it to me many times. there is no use ringing them

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

freekhead wrote:
    tanx lads i would of tought it was my line but if your all getting the same its digiweb fault

same for me really thought i wasnt gonna be able to have decent interweb until i move house sometime in the next year or so, but am gonna ring them tomorow and give out stink.

MY connection is back to normal now between 90KB/s and 100KB/s. STill going to give out stinko in the morning and find out what was up.

DannyD wrote:
    MY connection is back to normal now between 90KB/s and 100KB/s. STill going to give out stinko in the morning and find out what was up.

same here, but p2p is still dead slow! how is yours? my BT is like 5kb/s

CyberGhost wrote:
    same here, but p2p is still dead slow! how is yours? my BT is like 5kb/s
    Mine is 6KB/s max,normally around 2KB/s. If you want ,send me any torrent and I'll compare.

• Advertisement

MY connection was good since 3am last night and has gone to the dogs again tonight around 6pm. It won't go above 40 KB/s now which is unacceptable for a 1mb line at over €100 a month. I'm canceling and involving my solicitor if they are unhappy about it. I sent an email to Digiweb's support , they didn't bother to reply. I also sent 2 emails to Digiweb managers, they didn't bother to reply either. They couldn't care less and I don't want their product. What sort of replies did people get on the phone today ?

I didn't call cause I already know there is no use.

I will just write them an email that I want to cancel my connection! if they don't reply I will just stop paying.

and yes, my connection has been bad too, it's good from about 3am to 11pm, after that when everyone wakes up and connects it goes bad, very bad, do I have to become a fecking owl because digiweb can't handle the bandwidth?

when I first said Digiweb were like Netsource, nobody believed me, now you see for yourself!

DannyD wrote:
    Mine is 6KB/s max,normally around 2KB/s. If you want ,send me any torrent and I'll compare.

nah, no need man, my speeds are the same on every torrent, even on ones that have 100+ seeds and bandwidth over 500kb/s.

it just is not picking up speed. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Your Connection

Direction Actual Speed True Speed (estimated)
    Downstream 235 Kbps (29.4 KB/sec) 253 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 413 Kbps (51.6 KB/sec) 446 Kbps (inc. overheads)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

My connection went bad when Gerrard scored. Yesss!!!! Then I look at the computer after the match. WTF?! Down to 40kb too. I wrote them a mail asking to switch me back to full or ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

This is my result
    Direction

Actual Speed

True Speed (estimated)
    Downstream 416 Kbps (52.0 KB/sec) 449 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 106 Kbps (13.3 KB/sec) 114 Kbps (inc. overheads)

I'm on 512/128 dsl with Digiweb

I onlt have this service a few weeks
    At the start I was maxing connection with torrents but now it crawls along at a few k Its at a stage where its uploading more than downloading.
    When I turn on bt now it kills my connection to a degree where a lot of pages fail to be found

Dec

like I said many many times, THEY THROTTLE! they don't block ports but they filter traffic!

my torrents were maxing out easily when I first connected too, but then went bad very bad.

they are liers!

we really have something to do about this

My 1mbit is gone to the dogs again.I was getting 100KB/s steady for days but it's gone back to between 10KB/s and 30KB/s all day now.

better get used to it!

if you just signed up couple of month ago, it's a long hard road out of hell.

I'm only starting out on my 12 month contract ! Arghhh !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

on wireless here in waterford. here are my results:

Downstream 277 Kbps (34.6 KB/sec) 299 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Should I be getting much better than this. I know I was getting up around 600kbps downstream and 275kbps upstream last weekend. I am on a 512/128 connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyrecords

people people ! if they do throthle just use a http tunnel like hopster! they cant throthle port 80!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

people people ! if they do throthle just use a http tunnel like hopster! they cant throthle port 80!

Depends on how the filtering is done. Level 7 filtering looks at the actual content of the packets.

P2P apps do bad things to the way that contention works. If you have 200 users sharing 4Mb with each user being given 512Kbs with 25:1 contention everything runs along nicely.. until you get a few people running P2P apps then all the bandwidth is gone and everyone starts complaining about poor speeds etc.

Now if the end user wants to pay for an uncontended connection and I do mean pay for it* then there is no problem running P2P apps (other than possible legal issues surrounding copyrighted material) but as long as contended bandwidth is the norm speed limiting P2P apps is going to remain a necessity for ISP's. If you are on a 512Kbs service with 48 to 1 contention then throttling P2P apps down to 10 Kbs or a little less seems reasonable (512/48 = 10.67 Kbs)

Or the ISP could just put all the heavy users into the same contention pool..

*at current wholesale costs it should be possible to do uncontended 512Kbs for in the region of 250 Euro a month + Vat + network costs. or you could always ask Eircom about a leased line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Just as a matter of curiosity, all you guys who are complaing about download speeds, have you tested to download something legal over HTTP to make sure it's just BT etc that's being throttled?

Blaster99 wrote:
    Just as a matter of curiosity, all you guys who are complaing about download speeds, have you tested to download something legal over HTTP to make sure it's just BT etc that's being throttled?

that's what this guys are talking about! HTTP is slow!

p2p is not only slow, it's DEAD. 5kb/s with 1 meg is NOTHING.

not only that but pings are aweful, which makes gaming impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Half the posts above are complaining about throttling etc. If everything is slow, then welcome to the beautiful world of contention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

so i hate to seem like an old fuddy duudy but has anyone went back to good ol'eircom after the apparent miserable service on digiweb

Blaster99 wrote:

Please read before posting. P2P isn't illegal and transfering data via a different protocol as you suggested doesn't mean the content is legal.You are making an assumption,never assume. I posted ftp transfer rates, read rfc 959 if your still unsure.All the speed tests posted above are not p2p protocol tests. Read the all the replies before replying please.

Superman wrote:
    so i hate to seem like an old fuddy duudy but has anyone went back to good ol'eircom after the apparent miserable service on digiweb

when I "do my time" and my "sentance" is over I will

I'll get 2meg business broadband, or even better a leased line, or move to Sweden or USA ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yeah I just finished my sentence with eircom , was thinking of moving to digiweb but it's looking ever more bogie, I'm no eircom fanatic but there service is usually good (dear lord why did i say that i'm going to get a load of hate mail of those irelandOffline people), their prices are there problem!
    How much is the 2 meg business line ?

Advertisement