Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Adsl

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

I have digiweb wireless and it's a great service... However the customer service is not as good as it used to be. They're growing very fast and expanding into Dublin i believe. I emailed them twice 2 months ago and still no reply. Also left a message with one of their depts and a call was never returned. Still though... I have confidence that they won't go the way of eircom for example and completely screw their customers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

it's 168 euro excluding VAT Clark, 204 including

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I would guess that digiweb's backhaul is just bottlenecking at the moment. I remember when wireless was in it's dundalk only days they had thier whole network running off a 2meg leased line. Their willingness to expand the capacity of their network always seems to be trailing way behind their willingness to expand thier customer base. Good business sense but not so good for future business imho.

Also, I have been getting absolutely no joy trying to have interleaving turned to low/off and I'm told that there is no demand for lower latency. Can anyone who actually wants a ping of 20 or less to irish servers please email them about it.

I'm sure that digiweb would be more than willing to hear any complaints from their customers as I believe they really do want to keep everyone pleased with their service. I would expect that the rapid growth of their network has just taken them by surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

I've emailed Declan campbell three times within the last two weeks. He never replied. What sort of attitude is this from Digiweb's Business Development Manager ?

I emailed support three times over the last two weeks, they replied 10 days later. What sort of commitment to their customers is this ?

I also emailed Adrian Erangey three times, he never bothered to reply.

Their service is unreliable. Their customer support is useless. Online gaming isn't possible. Is their anything positive to say about them ?
    I would guess that digiweb's backhaul is just bottlenecking at the moment. I remember when wireless was in it's dundalk only days they had thier whole network running off a 2meg leased line. Their willingness to expand the capacity of their network always seems to be trailing way behind their willingness to expand thier customer base. Good business sense but not so good for future business imho.

Also, I have been getting absolutely no joy trying to have interleaving turned to low/off and I'm told that there is no demand for lower latency. Can anyone who actually wants a ping of 20 or less to irish servers please email them about it.

I'm sure that digiweb would be more than willing to hear any complaints from their customers as I believe they really do want to keep everyone pleased with their service. I would expect that the rapid growth of their network has just taken them by surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

no the dont seem to care anymore and the tried telling me that hi pings are normal, im changing isp because im sick of their bull when service was good it would dissconnect and sometimes be verry choppy now its bad all day all night and there is no such thing as torrents anymore cause they trottle them lol u would tink then if they trottled them then traffic would b minimal lol its realy bad stay the hell away from digiweb

i play a lot of games and having low ping is vital but to a default gateway im getting 200ms why??? cause its costing me an arm and a leg for this connection

if people are tinking of switching isp can u let me know so we can all ring up the same day and ask to leave call it mass protest

• Advertisement

hey, I have figured out how they throttle BT, they don't allow many threads, for example there are 100 peers and all of them are uploading at 1kb/s you'll get 100kb/s download, but "digicrap" only allows like 5-8 threads, so you get like 10kb/s and often lower speeds, of course if one of those 5 people you are downloading from are can upload a file to you at 100kb/s you'll get a full speed but chances of meeting someone that fast are VERY low.

forgot to mention that this effects not only bt, but your whole network, if you are downloading with bt at 1kb/s, you will notice that it kills your http

and btw, has anyone else noticed that pings have gone way worse? they are extremely high at night too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Well, without defending them (I know they're crap), it DOES say in their contract that p2p is not permitted, so I guess they're well within their rights to throttle.

But they lie and say they *don't* throttle any ports, don't they?

eth0_ wrote:
    Well, without defending them (I know they're crap), it DOES say in their contract that p2p is not permitted, so I guess they're well within their rights to throttle.

But they lie and say they *don't* throttle any ports, don't they?

well when I signed up it didn't say anything about it, and if they do throttle, the sales rep should tell you about that, cause, not everyone has internet connection to go online and read their T&Cs, the sales rep should tell you the truth. which they don't.

well they throttle you differently, they don't block ports, so you can't blame them on port blocking but they don't allow many download threads, like I said 5-8 at max, which means you can't connect to many peers, which basically kills any p2p and is much worse then port blocking.

When did you sign up? I was going to get their wireless service last summer but tbh was disgusted by their pre sales service...anyhoo i'm 99% sure it said in the contract you go through when signing up that p2p is not permitted.

eth0_ wrote:
    When did you sign up? I was going to get their wireless service last summer but tbh was disgusted by their pre sales service...anyhoo i'm 99% sure it said in the contract you go through when signing up that p2p is not permitted.

like I said I didn't have internet to check it out, and she should have told me about their policies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Sztraik

Hi,

the contract said that email and web would be given "priority" which maybe means that P2P ports are being filtered.
    Also I believe that their traffic allowance is up+down, which is a bit unfair!
    I asked them to move to the 1 Mb line 3 weeks ago and they said it would take 24-48 hours, still waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

CyberGhost wrote:
    forgot to mention that this effects not only bt, but your whole network, if you are downloading with bt at 1kb/s, you will notice that it kills your http

If you leave the your upload high, it will saturate your upstream and interfere with downstream packets. One thing about DSL is you can't have max dl and ul at the same time. It's either one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

They should'nt have a thing about P2P. Although a lot of P2P traffic can contain unauthorised stuff it does have legal applications like linux OS distribution.

Why shouldn't they? Esat, Eircom etc prohibit you from running servers on their residential dsl services, why should an exception be made for p2p, if you want to be anal about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

Infini wrote:
    They should'nt have a thing about P2P. Although a lot of P2P traffic can contain unauthorised stuff it does have legal applications like linux OS distribution.

yeah right! :D
    Why not just download your distros from heanet's mirrors. They always seem to be able to saturate my connection

P2P also does horrible things to stuff like contention management as well as creating lots of traffic overhead due to the upload part of the P2P

Unless you want your own uncontended Internet connection, good contention management by the ISP will pretty much require restrictions on P2P traffic.

.Brendan

eth0_ wrote:
    Why shouldn't they? Esat, Eircom etc prohibit you from running servers on their residential dsl services, why should an exception be made for p2p, if you want to be anal about it :D

they do? when I was with eircom I ran p2p servers for like a year non stop. they didn't say anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

trottling p2p is stupid.. if so then their network must'nt be very busy...why im i getting such bad pings then?
    I rang digiweb and terminated the contract..thank god..ill b getting eircom's 1mb service with the 24/1 contention.....just hope its better than digifok's fingers crossed

one more thing they stated that i did get the 200 credited when i first signed up, to my account and i asked for a reciept lol cause it didnt. their sending out the reciept and i bet its someone elses account...cant wait to tell them off and trottle their asses :D

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Just as a followup to those performance problems, they seem to have been temporary, on my connection anyway. It's been back up to full speed for a while now, seems reliable, pings for gaming are grand (as before, usually solid 70, could be better but plays fine for me).

It's pointless to throttle and the RIAA and MPAA can moan all day but theyre powerless outside the US. The best they can do is moan and send frivilous legal threats. In anycase they don't offer any legal alternative in Ireland for Music and the way the MPAA are acting they'll end up the same way as the Napster scenario. They should take note.. 1) set up legal alternatives and 2) take down BT trackers in that order. Doing it the way they're doing only pisses people off and has the result of alienating the public from them.
    Besides there ARE legal uses for P2P. They're already comparing the P2P court case in the US with the Betamax case back in 1980.

freekhead wrote:
    trottling p2p is stupid.. if so then their network must'nt be very busy...why im i getting such bad pings then?
    I rang digiweb and terminated the contract..thank god..ill b getting eircom's 1mb service with the 24/1 contention.....just hope its better than digifok's fingers crossed

Better watch out. Not only are eircom poor value for money but they tried sneaking hidden charges on my bill. It's one of the reasons that i got rid of their service. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Infini wrote:
    stuff

The MPAA/RIAA have no standing outside the states, but the local orgs (IRMA, etc) do, in so far as the mpaa/riaa do in the states. Afaik, there could be something in the international copyright treatys that allows a company to take action in any signatory country aswell.

Just because they don't offer legal alternatives isn't an excuse, either.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

IRMA sounds like the noises one makes when suffering from severe constipation.

Maybe but while I dont bother downloading music or even hollywood movies personally if they try suing before sorting out their issues with iTunes and the like they may end up with an angry mob banging down their doors in a worst case scenario.

Note: Moriarty you may be thinking of the Berne convention. I heard something mantioned about that on animesuki, an unlicenced fansubbing site.

freekhead wrote:

one more thing they stated that i did get the 200 credited when i first signed up, to my account and i asked for a reciept lol cause it didnt. their sending out the reciept and i bet its someone elses account...cant wait to tell them off and trottle their asses :D

eircom doesn't have 1 meg broadband, do they? I think max is 512, for residential, and 2 megs for business, I've never seen them offering 1 meg

CyberGhost wrote:
    eircom doesn't have 1 meg broadband, do they? I think max is 512, for residential, and 2 megs for business, I've never seen them offering 1 meg

They do offer the buisness plus package to home users with 1MB speed and a 12 MB cap but its 79 quid a month. (No competition compared to NTL!)

Infini wrote:
    They do offer the buisness plus package to home users with 1MB speed and a 12 MB cap but its 79 quid a month. (No competition compared to NTL!)

that's cool, although 12GB for 79 quid a much :( but they don't throttle p2p do they?(since it's a business package, it may be throttled for p2p?)

CyberGhost wrote:
    that's cool, although 12GB for 79 quid a much :( but they don't throttle p2p do they?(since it's a business package, it may be throttled for p2p?)
    I had the buissness starter for 2 month and maxed out my download limit on that from BT transfers. Dont worry there isn't any throttling that I know of.

Infini wrote:
    I had the buissness starter for 2 month and maxed out my download limit on that from BT transfers. Dont worry there isn't any throttling that I know of.

I didn't know you could get business trials, I'm defenatelly getting 2 meg for 2 month
    positive8.jpg

CyberGhost wrote:
    I didn't know you could get business trials, I'm defenatelly getting 2 meg for 2 month

Um,Sorry to get your hopes up but unfortunatey the home plus package is actually the buisness starter packagethey have the exact same statistics. When i enquired about that the scabby bastrds said there was no trial on the 2MB line (Buisness enhanced). However the good news is there isn't anything about throttling P2P that i know of.

• Advertisement

Infini wrote:
    Um,Sorry to get your hopes up but unfortunatey the home plus package is actually the buisness starter packagethey have the exact same statistics. When i enquired about that the scabby bastrds said there was no trial on the 2MB line (Buisness enhanced). However the good news is there isn't anything about throttling P2P that i know of.

eh no problems :)

Advertisement