Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Adsl

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fabry

I'm experiencing extremely slow downloads (max 4KB) with any p2p software:ie. limewire, edonkey, emule.
    My broadband provider is Digiweb (homejet) in Dublin.
    Anyone in the same situation? any settings to be changed?

39 eur a month are definitely not worthy if you can't use p2p software (there are absoutely legal uses of them).

If it can't be fixed I'll have to move to UTV.It seems to work fine and gives you free call off peak in ireland and uk...for 29eur....or do you have any other suggestion?

PS. in other european countries (as in mine) you can get 2M broadband with no cap and no restrictions on p2p at 30 eur a month.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

fabry wrote:
    I'm experiencing extremely slow downloads (max 4KB) with any p2p software:ie. limewire, edonkey, emule.
    My broadband provider is Digiweb (homejet) in Dublin.
    Anyone in the same situation? any settings to be changed?

39 eur a month are definitely not worthy if you can't use p2p software (there are absoutely legal uses of them).

If it can't be fixed I'll have to move to UTV.It seems to work fine and gives you free call off peak in ireland and uk...for 29eur....or do you have any other suggestion?

PS. in other european countries (as in mine) you can get 2M broadband with no cap and no restrictions on p2p at 30 eur a month.....

HELLO, Digish!te throttle any P2P program :mad: :mad: If you can give them the boot ASAP and move to a ISP that has a sane :mad: T&C contract. NTL highly reccomended but if a no-go try Irish Broadband or if desperate Eircom!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Infini wrote:
    HELLO, Digish!te throttle any P2P program :mad: :mad: If you can give them the boot ASAP and move to a ISP that has a sane :mad: T&C contract. NTL highly reccomended but if a no-go try Irish Broadband or if desperate Eircom!!! :(

Lol you are new to the forums but I already like you man, you hate isps that throttle and lie with the same rebellious passion as I do :D

fabry, there is no way around it, they filter individual packages, and give "priority" as they like to call it to http and email(lol yea I need 1 meg to download email), p2p basically doens't get anything

they lie to you everytime you ring them, they tell you they don't throttle anything, don't fall for it! there was one guy at their support that I talked to and he said that they do throttle, he must have been knew and "unschooled" yet, saying something along the these lines: "If we give customers full bandwidth they will go berserk" well I'm sorry but I'm paying for my bandwidth, if it was free I would not complain

I'd go with eircom or other cap thirthty isp, you will have only 8 gigs but atleast you will download them with pleasure :)

digiweb's real name should be digitrap, it's not insulting and completely true.

well, welcome to Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

for those getting trottled what happen if you use bit torrent but do not use default ports?

tuxy wrote:
    for those getting trottled what happen if you use bit torrent but do not use default ports?

nothing the same slow speeds,

you get green light on both default ports and other ports, but speeds are slow, and it's not torrent's fault, I was downloading doom3 demo from 3d gamers and it was soo slow I got pissed, I took all my setup to my friend's who has eircom, we checked it there, with the same torrent and got 56kb/s

oh and btw, recently I have noticed my https speeds don't go over 40kb/s either!

and look at this screenshots
    SS1
    SS2

• Advertisement

fabry wrote:

NTL actually an english based ISP who compete with faster broadbandn providers in the uk. Their BB networks in ireland are actually an extension of the UK network so when they upgrade the speeds in the next 3 months over in the UK they'll be upgading the irish network simultaneously. Then you can sit back and relax on an uber-fast network while other irish ISP's are trailing back in the stone age kissing your ass!!!!!!! :D:D:D

CyberGhost wrote:
    nothing the same slow speeds,

you get green light on both default ports and other ports, but speeds are slow, and it's not torrent's fault, I was downloading doom3 demo from 3d gamers and it was soo slow I got pissed, I took all my setup to my friend's who has eircom, we checked it there, with the same torrent and got 56kb/s

oh and btw, recently I have noticed my https speeds don't go over 40kb/s either!

and look at this screenshots
    SS1
    SS2

Man digiwankers sound like their dying a slow horrible death!!!
    :D

Infini wrote:
    NTL actually an english based ISP who compete with faster broadbandn providers in the uk. Their BB networks in ireland are actually an extension of the UK network so when they upgrade the speeds in the next 3 months over in the UK they'll be upgading the irish network simultaneously. Then you can sit back and relax on an uber-fast network while other irish ISP's are trailing back in the stone age kissing your ass!!!!!!! :D:D:D

haha, well you live in the area that has ntl broadband available, I live in clondalkin, and I have been waiting for them 3 years now, and there is no sign of them, if/when they come here or I'll just pick up and move to the area that has ntl bb, then I'll enjoy too :)
    Infini wrote:
    Man digiwankers sound like their dying a slow horrible death!!!
    :D

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Yeah - Digiweb also sucks for me .... can't get more than 190-200 Kbps out of anything.
    I'm so tempted to just pay the € 100 stated in their T&C to terminate the contract prematurely ... BUT what's the real alternative ??
    NTL not available, so it's either UTV, Eircom, IBB, IOL ...... - please help me choose the best alternative *please please* :o

Stone wrote:
    Yeah - Digiweb also sucks for me .... can't get more than 190-200 Kbps out of anything.
    I'm so tempted to just pay the € 100 stated in their T&C to terminate the contract prematurely ... BUT what's the real alternative ??
    NTL not available, so it's either UTV, Eircom, IBB, IOL ...... - please help me choose the best alternative *please please* :o

iol? decent pings 16gb cap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 grrrrrrrrrrrr

heya all,
    been browsing through this thread since I also got my Digiweb 1Mbit line today and so far I've been getting the same kind of crappy ping / dl/ul
    First of all, it could quite possibly be a NAT problem? I've had the same problem before in my home in germany where my download and upload went down the drain because of a NAT error in the router settings (I'm assuming you're all using the lil router provided by digiweb) which after I fixed it got my downloads back up to proper speeds..
    Second, for those who want to prematurely end the contract - you simply gotta notify them and then you'll have to bear with it for another 3 months and then you're free to go. Can somebody get me the part in the T&C about the 100€ thing? That might be a last alternative ( I could get em to deduct it from my 200€ that you get free at the start, lol)...
    Finally, I'm gonna look into the matter further tomorrow and call up there... maybe I can even talk to a techie rather than a sales rep which I'd prefer more...
    I doubt they'll do anything about interleaving but at least I can get some answers about the pings which even with low interleaving switched on shouldn't be anywhere as high as they are now (I get 200+ on most gaming servers)
    Anyway, I'll post some more asap and also look into the NAT problem (if there is one) as for now, good fight, good night.

(P.S.: bt running at 15-20kb/s down and 0-5kb/s up atm so it might really be a NAT problem)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

There service still sucks even though they haven't sent me a bill for this 3rd rate service yet. I've a few questions regarding the contract :

- What is to stop me signing up with another dsl provider tomorrow ? The other dsl provider will change me over to them without a problem right ? They need my permission not digitraps right ?

- Has anyone cancelled their contract prematurely ? Is so what did you do ? What did they do ?

This can't go on. If you don't have digitraps dsl service , don't even think about getting it.

freekhead, terminated his contract, I sent him a pm but he never replied, I think you have to pay 100 euro and call them at the end of the month(5 days before actually) or something.

Yes, if you cancel digiweb, they should release the dsl line, if you sign up with another isp without cancelling digiweb first, I don't think they will release the line, also you have to return the equipment they sent you, but that's a no brainer really

*edit* Danny, lol love your sig.

Okay, I reconfigured the settings of my router and BT last night as I would have with a computer/router setup which is encountering a NAT problem... (i.e. setting specific ports for bittorrent in the router settings and then setting them in the client - I can only warmly suggest that everybody get Azureus for this http://azureus.sourceforge.net )

before I ran the NAT fix on it, I got a NAT error in azureus (it will do a check on the port and tell you if it's working, encountering problems due to the port being locked/in use or if there's a NAT problem at hand) and afterwards it said it should run smoothly.. I then rebootet (you don't have to but it's just one of those computer paranoia things you do 'for good measure') and I got downloads of 70kb/s then...

So I suggest more people try this method and see how it runs for a while... if you all get smooth downloadspeeds, at least we then know that you're not getting cheated out of downloading stuff... the ping side is a different issue - I'm still getting <200ms on pinging boards.ie or just trying to ping a game server... I'll have to get around to calling them tomorrow or so... if anybody needs some help with fixing the NAT problem (if that's the main problem here) just email me and I'll get back to you as soon as humanly possible

grrrrrrrrrr, that explains it, you've just been connected, the first month that I connected everything was fine with me too, I got like 100k+ download speeds, it's after the first month that the problems started, my NAT/Port forwarding are fine, I checked it with my bit torrent connection checker, I passed, no reports of nat or any other problem I also get a green light, but speed is still like 6kb/s

digiweb tech guy said himself that they throttle, I was surprised that he said it, so I asked again the same question, and he replied that yes.

I guess a solution might be to throttle your own downloads right from the start?
    Granted, it's slower to dl stuff with 40 kb/s instead of 100 but if it's constant and you'll get it quicker than with 4 kb/s it makes a lot more sense

Installed azureus. Router Ports 6881-6889 both tcp and udp are being forwarded to the pc. Still getting speeds of 5Kb/s at best. A friend using esat's 512 package gets a steady 50Kb/s.

how much is the esat per month again? and what're the fees etc?

plus, is that the esat business deal? because to get that you need to be a registered business (I already called about getting their 1mbit or 2mbit line a while back and they said you need a valid business etc)

okay so my questions regarding the esat 512

- download cap?
    - pings? (interleaving is off with esat I believe?)
    - monthly cost
    - setup cost
    - when can you end it and how? (ie just call up before the end of the month or give them a certain time period notice or pay a certain amount or whatever)
    - is that 512 for business users only?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

I think some of you do not get the point in regards to the P2P throttling with Digiweb. The throttling is done by 'packet sniffing' what this means is that whatever port you are going to use, as long as the packet is identified as being P2P, it will be throttled.
    This issue between P2P and ISP is not new, since much P2P traffic does not originate from ISPs' networks it costs them more to deliver it, leading to their consideration of unpopular measures such as port/packets throttling P2P sites, data download limits or pay-as-you-go pricing...play fair, P2P is not the only way of getting data!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I'm getting 200-300ms pings tonight... way sucks.

C:\Documents and Settings\Paul>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.130] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=214ms TTL=62
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=267ms TTL=62
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=183ms TTL=62
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=308ms TTL=62

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.130:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 183ms, Maximum = 308ms, Average = 243ms
    C:\Documents and Settings\Paul>ping www.jolt.co.uk

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=193ms TTL=57
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=215ms TTL=57
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=203ms TTL=57
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=150ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 150ms, Maximum = 215ms, Average = 190ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Paul>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Mine are a little better . HaHa

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.130] with 32 bytes o

Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=145ms TTL=62
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=201ms TTL=62
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=183ms TTL=62
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=167ms TTL=62

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.130:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss
    Minimum = 145ms, Maximum = 201ms, Average = 174ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

was thinkin of going to digiweb but it sounds like a crock of sh-t

Who has actually cancelled ? I phoned them up and they told me to cancel the contract I would have to pay three months rental penalty ! Someone mentioned a figure of €100 to cancel !

Section 5 of the terms and conditions says a subscriber may terminate the contract and pay €100 during the initial term. What pray tell is this initial term ?

terms and conditions here http://dsl.digiweb.ie/terms.asp

Hi Danny,

Yup, it's in the contract. Still, if you are intending to go to NTL, you'll get 3 months free from them. Plus if like me, you plan to give up your landline, you'll save on phone rental.

P.

DannyD wrote:
    Who has actually cancelled ? I phoned them up and they told me to cancel the contract I would have to pay three months rental penalty ! Someone mentioned a figure of €100 to cancel !

Section 5 of the terms and conditions says a subscriber may terminate the contract and pay €100 during the initial term. What pray tell is this initial term ?

terms and conditions here http://dsl.digiweb.ie/terms.asp

why didn't you tell them that?

this just proves more and more what I said, they are scammers and liers!

The initial term is presumably your initial 12 month contract.

Calling them "scammers and liars" over something in black
    and white in the contract seems a little over the top.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Indeed. Care to share how they're "scammers and liers" (sic)?

first of all they lie when you call them, they will lie to you, when they should tell you the truth, about throttling and such, maybe I don't have internet to check it out myself and ask on the forums, they should tell you the truth

then, like Danny said, there is a contract and they say he has to pay them 3 month fee?

oceanclub, people get killed sometimes "over something in black and white in the contract" so me just complaining I think is no big deal, and if you do something wrong, they(isp) will bring out that something in black and white and start rubbing it in, so why can't I do that?

CyberGhost wrote:
    oceanclub, people get killed sometimes "over something in black and white in the contract" so me just complaining I think is no big deal, and if you do something wrong, they(isp) will bring out that something in black and white and start rubbing it in, so why can't I do that?

You are Vicky Pollard, and I claim my four quatloos.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It's reasonable for them to get something back if you want to break the contract early. If you didn't like the contract, you shouldn't have signed up in the first place.

Advertisement