Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Poker/Drink Equation (or, Marq's 500th Post)

Options
  • 10-09-2004 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭

Right, for my 500th post, JP asked for my wisdom. He's not going to get it, but I thought I would use this oppurtunity to discuss something I've noticed over the last few months. I started playing poker about two years ago (seven-stud with 4 jokers, it's a monster of a game) and then graduated on to NL hold'em about this time last year. Around march of this year I started playing online, and then from May I played in the Fitz and the Merrion, starting with the free-rolls and the odd twenty-in. What I've noticed is this: Before I started playing poker, I drank a whole lot more. these days, Poker seems to have taken the place of drunken nights out on the Razz (deuce to seven please, with the Joker), and it seems that the only time I do drink is the lone pint before a poker tournament, and not much else (monday payday this month being an exception, but god-damn I got NO cards whatsoever!)

I've found that
    1) despite the fact that the very essence of poker involves spending money, I spend less on an evening of poker than I ever would on a night out (including the price of a drink beforehand). I wake up in the morning tired, but not hungover, and work is that little bit easier to handle.

2) I don't find poker in any way unsociable. Particularly when I play in the Fitz, the craic at the table is often great, and as good as if not better than the craic in a pub where you can barely hear yourself think let alone anyone else talk.

3)[whisper]I don't really miss drink.[/whisper]

Just wondering if anyone else finds that they have stopped drinking as much since they started playing poker regularly and what they think of the phenomenon?

And here's the wisdom I shall impart:a very good article on bubble strategy

Right, that's it, do i get a gold star? Oh, I get a silver one. that'll do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I have to agree with you there Marq, although I use the same argument for another reason. It normally goes like this

Herself: You're not playing cards again are you?

Me: sigh....yep I sure am

Herself: I'm sick of you wasting money on cards, we can't afford it, and I don't like you gambling..

Me: Grand, I'll ring the lads and go out on the rip so, get plastered drunk, spend €200, fall in around 4ish, pass out across the bed, have an argument in the morning because I've a sore head, call in sick to work because I can't face it and lose a days wages on top of it all....

Herself: good luck with the cards

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

I would agree with both of ye. I tend to get the silent treatment if I come in hammered but with the poker, her indoors doesn't seem to mind. And if I could just win some money (oops, did I forget to tell her about my winnings), she'd be over the moon.

I would still like to have one tournament in a pub though, where I could enjoy copious amounts for carlsberg/guinness (whichever mood I'm it) !!

As an aside, I am hoping to play in the gutshot challenge in London and I just checked out their website and it seems they have a bar there. My dream may be about to come true !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Marq wrote:
    I've found that
    1) despite the fact that the very essence of poker involves spending money, I spend less on an evening of poker than I ever would on a night out (including the price of a drink beforehand). I wake up in the morning tired, but not hungover, and work is that little bit easier to handle.
    While it's true that poker is cheaper than drink I generally feel better the next day after a heavy night on the beer than poker. Hangovers are easier to deal with than being bone-tired. After a late night of pokering I'm mentally drained, this carries over to the next morning after a limited amount of sleep and I'm grouchy all day. Fill me full of beer and I'm sunshine and light the next day as long as there is solpadeine and danish pastries.
    2) I don't find poker in any way unsociable. Particularly when I play in the Fitz, the craic at the table is often great, and as good as if not better than the craic in a pub where you can barely hear yourself think let alone anyone else talk.

Just wondering if anyone else finds that they have stopped drinking as much since they started playing poker regularly and what they think of the phenomenon?
    Poker isn't unsociable but it's a different kind of craic. Poker does interfere with my drinking time but I don't think of it as a replacement as much as an alternative. Pints are good, pub chat is great and I wouldn't see a lot of my friends if I only played poker.

As for missing the beer? If I haven't been to the pub in a while I tend to miss the craic with my mates who don't play poker. Meeting dollies certainly isn't happening at a card table either.

Gold star for that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

I used to go out on the lash two, three times a week. Now, thanks to the wonders of poker, I head out one night only. I reckon the rise in popularity of poker has coincided with the rise in the price of drinks/smoking ban/cnut bouncers and all the other things that are causing our watering holes to loose bidness. Why piss away €120 on a night you wont remember anyway the next day when instead you can play some cards win some money yadayadayada ya'll get my point. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fpwshark

I've got to agree with henbane here - I do love my poker, however I also love my pints. This is where the home games have the advantage as the drink is cheap, the craic is good and the cards are on.

What are everyones thoughts of combining the 2.
    For example the fitz with a Bar?

Heaven...or a double edged sword?

there might be a lot more easy money around...only problem is some of it could be yours!!

Course good bouncers would also be essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Don't get me wrong, I still love my pints, just don't miss them like I thought I would when I was going out and getting sloshed two or three nights a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Poker is a lot like Fight Club. It will leave you tired, bruised and drained. Like Fight Club, you gather in dark, seedy locations, with other dark seedy characters. When you meet other members of poker club in the street, you do not talk about poker club. Just nod and smile knowingly.

Poker, like Fight Club is about making money from the body fat of the stupid rich.

Unlike Fight Club, you do not get to sleep with Helena Bonham Carter.
    These are the rule of Poker club..

</end temporary schizophrenia>.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fpwshark

Maybe the Helena Bonham Carter from Planet of the Apes. ;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I have met poker players I beat (or who beat me) the night before outside Spar or in outside the pub etc the next day. Its always well weird. :)

Then again the whole of Boards is like that. I've sat in meetings with two other people from Boards along with "norms" and we discussed some very high value strategic alliances between my day job and their company and not a word was said. Whats online stays online usually :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Unlike Fight Club, you do not get to sleep with Helena Bonham Carter.
    These are the rule of Poker club..

Goddamnit....... it doesnt specifically preclude you from it does it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Goddamnit....... it doesnt specifically preclude you from it does it?

Nah... Ed Norton played poker in Rounders. Slept with Helena Bonham Carter in Fight Club.. It's like the Kevin Bacon game this is. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I've also found a huge decrease in the amount of drinking I've been doing in the last few months. The satisfaction from a heavy booze session along with the money spent and hangover the next morning just doesn't equate with the buzz from poker and the chance to win money at something you really really enjoy.

I keep waiting for the time I get really p1ssed off with and bored of poker, boozing will increase then I suppose but can't see it happening any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I don't drink but I feel poker is a better "bad habbit" than drinking. Much healthier for the body but not necessarily the mind as stress is induced in games and if you lose money etc.

Advertisement