Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marilyn Manson

Options
  • 10-09-2004 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭

ISn't Marilyn Manson the biggest load of crap ever?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I'm not a fan but I'd have to say no. There are much, much worse acts out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

acutally ... yes ... I shouldn't have said the biggest load of crap ever ..... sure there are much worse ... but even more are much better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I think Holy Wood and Mechanical Animal are great, but things started getting so so bad since his terrible cover of 'Tainted Love'. Ruined one of my favourite songs. His first 80's synthpop cover 'Sweet Dreams' was good enough, but Tainted Love and his latest cover ('Personal Jesus' by Depeche Mode) are awful.

And I won't even start on 'The Golden Age of Grotesque'. What a sellout.

I just hope Trent Reznor doesn't go down the same road on the new NIN album.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I just downloaded a few songs of his a year or two ago and then bought Golden Age..., and i couldnt listen to it, it was terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

i just seem to like all his albums..well the ones i have at the moment..holywood..golden age of grotesque and antichrist superstar..and i borrowed mechanical animals and that was class too. i guess i would like him more for the lyrics at the best of times...G.A.O.G. isnt brilliant but there are a good few songs on it...i wouldnt say he is a load of crap, i just think maybe he needs a bit of inspiration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

holywood is a class ablum :D:D:D

With his Best of album coming out soon, I wonder if he's decided to call it a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

not a huge fan of him meself

not trying to insult anyone here, well... i have some problems with their fans TBH they all dress and look the same to me not sure about now but that was the way a while ago, these ''goths'' all copying each other, seems to defeat the individuality of the gothic scene

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

plazzTT wrote:
    With his Best of album coming out soon, I wonder if he's decided to call it a day?
    i seriously doubt that. GAOG was probably not the album he wanted to make at the time, but he made it. and it didn't do as well as he wanted it to.

trent reznor has been pissed off at him for some time (trent being the man who signed manson) because manson wont listen to anyone's creative input. john5 (former guitarist) released a new album. my god that man is a good guitarist... you wouldn't think it listening to manson's albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

you wouldn't think any of them are good musicians from the Manson albums, listen to Twiggy's bass on the new A Perfect Circle album and compare it to his Manson stuff. Antichrist Superstar got me started on industrial music (favourite part of the album turned out to be Trent's oily touches).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Portrait of an American family is superb tbh.

trent reznor has been pissed off at him for some time (trent being the man who signed manson) because manson wont listen to anyone's creative input.

I thought they "made up" ? with Manson appearing in the NIN Fragility 2.0 tour. (On NIN's "And All That Could Have Been" DVD there are hidden features with NIN and Manson perfoming "The Beautiful People" and "Star****ers, Inc.")

I think this was after their argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

GAotG was a very weak album, but everything else he's put out has been fairly strong. Obviously Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals stand out, but Portrait and Holy Wood are damn good too. Thing with Manson is that there's a massive preconception of what his music will sound like and what his fans will look like. And it tends to overshadow the fact that there's damn good music to be heard. If you met me, you wouldn't know I was a Manson fan, and I could play you songs that you wouldn't guess were Manson songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

GAotG was awful

Holywood as Brilliant!

Its unfair to say that guy is rubish, he has a lot of VERY good work done, sadly recently he has fallen but to say hes the biggest load of crap is just not right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I bought Antichrist Superstar and Portrait of an American Family a good few years ago now, and I thought they were pretty good, esp. Antichrist Superstar. I havnt really listened to any of his other stuff though. But just going on that id have to give a thumbs up.
    Not like OMFG Awesome or anything, but definately not 'biggest load of crap ever'
    At least have the tracks were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I'm not a fan of Manson, but I don't think he's bad, after all, he's raising people to appreciate better music. Manson fans become goths, and goths are good. Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I am a Marilyn Manson fan and have been for around 5 years. AntiChrist Superstar, Mechanical Animals and Holywood are excellent albums for anyone into metal. G.A.O.G was a bit of a disappointment but there are some good songs on it.
    It's probably not his music that offends you but his public image. He just wants to cause a fuss and shock some people. It seems like its working ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I don't think it works anymore, he's trying too hard and he just looks ridiculous. From Holywood on he just went downhill

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

plazzTT wrote:
    I thought they "made up" ? with Manson appearing in the NIN Fragility 2.0 tour. (On NIN's "And All That Could Have Been" DVD there are hidden features with NIN and Manson perfoming "The Beautiful People" and "Star****ers, Inc.")

I think this was after their argument.

they did make up. now they're fighting again. fun times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PogoMcStarwars

John2 wrote:
    I don't think it works anymore, he's trying too hard and he just looks ridiculous. From Holywood on he just went downhill

He has had only one proper album out since Holywood. It seems a bit harsh to say that he is done and dusted. Many bands have a bad album, look at and say "Man we botched that one" and learn from it. I say wait till he releases another proper album and see then.

~Pogo~

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Personally i think mason lost if after mechanical animals. Everything up til then was gold. ACS is still completely fresh and sounds like it couldve been recorded yesterday, one of the best industrial metal albums ive heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

I wouldn't say manson is crap. He's a great producer. He's some class tunes. Not all fans are goths either. I ain't a goth and I still like his music...

Plus he's helping create a new generation of goth chicks... which can only be a good thing :D

Doctor J, your ideas are intriguing to me, and i wish to subscribe to your newsletter :D

goth chicks=good.

Indeed :D

Give the man some space, let him get on with it, some elbow room, gentlemen, please! ! ! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Doctor J wrote:
    Plus he's helping create a new generation of goth chicks... which can only be a good thing :D

Although a gothic image can make a hot girl even hotter, it also makes ugly girls an unbearable sight.

Must...resist....urge..to...post....pictures of hot goths...on...computer!!!

Deadwing wrote:
    Must...resist....urge..to...post....pictures of hot goths...on...computer!!!

Dammit man, fight that urge to resist!!! :eek:

if i get banned for this, im takin you to hell with me doctor j ;)
    gl10.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Although a gothic image can make a hot girl even hotter, it also makes ugly girls an unbearable sight.

Agreed. That's gotta be the worst thing about going to a concert.

Advertisement