Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wasps are going mad

• 10-09-2004 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭

I know they're dying and that's something I'd be annoyed about but I've got
    two in the office at the moment.
    One of them seems to be particularly pissed off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Sleipnir wrote:
    I know they're dying
    good. no sympathy for the little ****ers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Well the fact that half the office is probably flaying there arms at it isn't helping clam down. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

bastards....yellow and black bastards...I hate them. I was actually stung by a bee in a pub called the bee hive... I dont mind bees though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

They'll be even more angry on Sunday evening if Kilkenny lose the All-Ireland Hurling Final! :)

Leave them be. Don't be swinging arms or anything at them. That'll make them worse. A guy I know was swinging at them one day recently and by chance happened to grab him in his hand and was immediatelty stung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

never seen an insect in our office before.

Read this thread.... look up... and what flys over my head?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Akula wrote:

Superman ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Akula wrote:

A Chinook Helicopter??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

he's buzzing like a loon at the light at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A pig?

he looks very stressed-out. Hunching his shoulders etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Spray him with deoderant - doesn't kill him, but drives him totally insane

even better, light a candle & wait till he flies near it....then spray the deoderant :eek:

Tusky wrote:
    bastards....yellow and black bastards...I hate them. I was actually stung by a bee in a pub called the bee hive... I dont mind bees though.

I got stung by a Bee years ago........

£10 for a jar of honey!!

Sorry!! :p

I'll get him with some Hai-Karate, that'll really piss him off.

"Great, I'm dying and I smell terrible. Great way to go, cheers"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Andip wrote:
    Spray him with deoderant - doesn't kill him, but drives him totally insane

even better, light a candle & wait till he flies near it....then spray the deoderant :eek:

Must be a case for the ISPCA(or should that be ISPCI)

My 5 year old lad got stung at the edge of his mouth.
    Since then I've become a bit of a wasp murderer. I think I've killed 11 or 12 in the last 2-3 weeks.
    I find that an RTE guide a perfect weapon...its good and thick with a low recoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

wasps are the skinheads of the insect world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Put the little buggers in waspital.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

Me and my friend used to get a deodarant can and a lighter and would flame the little basterds alive .It was funny you could hear then screeching whilst being burnt alive .

By the way did i mention me and my friend live out in the sticks

kaiphas wrote:
    wasps are the skinheads of the insect world

LOL. Definitley agree with you there!

I've always imagined bees to be like little cuddly helicopters like the one below

Budgie1.jpg

Whereas Wasps are the bad ass Apache Helicopters of the world like this..

im_AH64ApacheHelicopter.jpg
    WAH641.jpg

The wee bastids that they are!!!

Really got stung by one years ago and took a bit of a reaction to it!! No t pleasant at all!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Sleipnir wrote:
    I'll get him with some Hai-Karate, that'll really piss him off.

"Great, I'm dying and I smell terrible. Great way to go, cheers"

Jeezus...he's from the 70's......look out waspy !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

JackieChan wrote:
    My 5 year old lad got stung

Funny that, my lad's the same age as me... oh now I get it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

cerc_aren.jpg

There evil i tells ya!!
    I got stug a few times already, once when i was younger i grabbed a flower from a bush and i was stung.

Hate the f3ckers... the only good thing to kill them is a spray (any type) until its drowned...... :mad:

Comment: Jeremy Clarkson:
    I have now discovered the highest form of life: wasps

There was much talk in the scientific community last week about the origins and meaning of an interstellar radio message picked up by a telescope in Puerto Rico.
    To the untrained ear it sounds like a Clanger talking to the Soup Dragon, but to those who run Seti, the search for extra-terrestrial intelligence, it could well be “first contact”, the first real evidence that we are not alone in the universe.
    The temptation is to reply, but how do we know the message was meant for us? What if it were directed at some other species on Earth? And how would the sender respond if he were to discover that his intergalactic e-mail had been intercepted? I have a horrible feeling that the real recipient may be the wasp, which seems this year to be around in greater numbers than ever. Come on, you must have noticed that since the signal was picked up it has been impossible to go outside without being buzzed.
    There’s plenty of evidence that wasps are not of this earth. Unlike any other animal, with the possible exception of the owl and the Australian, they serve no purpose. They’re not in the food chain, they can’t make honey and they’re not fluffy. Nature has a habit of extinguishing its more useless experiments. The dinosaur went west when it grew too big and the dodo when it mislaid its wings. But the pointy yet strangely pointless wasp soldiers on. Why? There’s more, too. Wasps can smell a bowl of sugar from five miles away. How? Sugar does not smell. What’s more, they can organise flight paths from their nests to known sources of food. Again, how, unless they have been trained in the complexities of air traffic control? Here’s another nugget. Wasps are vindictive. Pretty well every creature will attack when it’s hungry or threatened whereas a wasp will attack if you’ve annoyed it in some way. Local councils, which tend to be staffed by animal loving eco- mentalists, are for ever producing leaflets portraying the wasp as a benign part of the British summer — a sort of airborne nettle — forgetting perhaps that each year wasps kill more people than sharks, alligators, lightning, scorpions, jellyfish and spiders combined.
    And try this for size. A wasp can lay its eggs inside a caterpillar, knowing that when they hatch, the baby wasps will be able to eat the creature from the inside out. And here’s the really clever bit. Normally, the host’s immune system would destroy the eggs before they had a chance to hatch, so to get round this they are coated with a virus that genetically modifies the caterpillar to ignore the invasion. In other words, a wasp can alter the very being of another creature.
    Biologists have examined this virus and found that it exists nowhere else on earth. They’ve also worked out that it’s been around for more than 100m years . . . which is when that strange radio message from the stars was sent.
    You may be interested to learn that wasps eat garden furniture. They chew the wood, mixing it with saliva to make paper for their nests. And we think dolphins are intelligent. Furthermore, wasps are pretty much indestructible. I now have an electric tennis racket that turns the art of insect control into a sport. Instead of cat gut, the strings are made from metal strips connected to a powerful battery. One touch will kill anything up to and including a large dog, but wasps? They sit there jiggling around until you take your finger off the power button, whereupon they simply fly away.
    Only the other day, after what I have to say was a damn good shot, I cut a German Yellowjacket in half with a carving knife. Such a devastating blow would have killed Flipper instantly, but the wasp? Its head remained alive, its antennae wiggling, perhaps sending messages to outer space pinpointing my position.
    We need at this point to examine the mating characteristics of the wasp which are, to say the least, odd. As summer draws to an end the males produce a huge semen duvet in which the queen will hibernate. When she wakes for the spring, she uses the sperm to fertilise her eggs and the cycle is repeated.
    This process poses a few questions. How, for instance, does a wasp produce semen? This would involve masturbation and that’s a concept which is difficult to visualise: 10,000 wasps in a nest all taking Captain Picard to warp speed. We know they are making paper for their nests but what else are they using it for? To print some copies of Asian Babe Wasps? “Ooh Adolf. After you with that picture of the Norwegian queen.”
    It sounds unlikely. It sounds even more unlikely when you discover that having spent the summer collecting proteins for their young, adult male wasps are free, as autumn approaches, to gorge themselves on rotting apples. This renders them fat, lazy and drunk.
    Perhaps this is why the radio message has been received. Perhaps the alien beings that put the wasp on Earth are calling to find out why world domination has not yet been achieved. I doubt they’ll be pleased when they find that their army has been defeated by Granny Smith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭logistic

Talking about getting stung. Little bastid got me in the face when i was on my scooter, just as i pulled up my visor, i swear he must have been waiting for me. Aslo to make matters worse i had a reaction to the sting. Well i suppose there only getting there own back for all those times i used to capture them in a jam jar as a kid.

Advertisement