Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsene Wenger - Can anyone translate

• 10-09-2004 4:06pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have read this twice or 3 times and still do not really grasp what the hell he is on about. As the robot in him totally malfunctioned ? :p

"Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has revealed his concern at the clauses in Wayne Rooney's big-money move to Manchester United.

The Frenchman feels conspiracy theorists will believe Everton could allow themselves to be beaten by Sir Alex Ferguson's side in certain circumstances if they stand to benefit financially.

United have pledged to pay the Merseysiders additional fees dependent upon their success during the teenager's six-year contract.

"It is becoming worrying," stated Wenger. "I think I cannot see any malicious intention behind the contract.

"Sometimes you make this kind of contract and it's fair, and when you take a distance with it, I think it's unfair.

"Everton could be in the situation that, if Manchester United win the championship, they get £1 million. If they have nothing to lose any more (they could lose).

"I think, in England, it's not a problem, the teams play for it but you could have the suspicion.

"That's why I believe this kind of contract should not be allowed for us and United when the teams play in the same competition.

"Personally it's better to avoid so there is nothing contentious at the end of the season. People will say of course Man United beat Everton as they get £1 million.

"I don't know how much it is but this kind of contract gives you a problem."
    "

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Just means that if United win the Premiership - Everton will gain £1m bucks....Soooooooooo if hypothetically, Utd played Everton as their last game of the season & needed 3 pts to guarantee the championship - it would be financially beneficial for Everton if they (Everton) lost.

Not so much a problem in England, but in some leagues in the world - its bound to be abused...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It might be benefically to them.
    Since its a half a million for a prem place they would probably make more if they got 3 points at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

It's more mind games and probably targeted to just get up the nose of AF. Potentially though, supposing Everton felt obliged to loose and maybe if former clubs of Saha, Rio F and other big name signings all felt the same as a result of contracts then one could argue the point further that maybe United could be the benifactors of almost 20 uncontested points in the league.

Of course I'm sure all the contracts are set up differently and not all including performance related fees. All the same, Arsene does make some sense - performance related fees should relate exclusively to either European competition or else only be used in cases where the player is being bought in from another league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

yop wrote:

"It is becoming worrying," stated Wenger. "I think I cannot see any malicious intention behind the contract.

"

Does this mean he's had his eyesight fixed ?

Its just the usual games fergie and himself love to play. No doubt Fergie will be issuing his latest observations in return.

Wenger appears to be worried about the performance clauses in Rooneys contract being an incentive to Everton to perform poorly against United not that they have needed one lately. These clauses will be used more and more in future contracts. Theortically what Wenger says is correct but I don't think it would be likely to happen in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

All I take from it is that such contracts shouldn't occur between clubs in the same league.

Of course it will be taken as a jibe at Utd and maybe he said it because he wanted to ruffle feathers but I honestly think he has a point.

If you want to make sure that the league is totally transparent and that no rigging occurs then you shouldn't have clauses between two clubs in the same league where one club profits from the other one winning the league**.

**This may happen with regard to europe/relegation placings etc etc, but I think that this is hard to police and usually claims of a team rollingover are hotly disputed. However, this is the nature of the game and can't be avoided, legal contracts can.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

oH I see or is it that Whinger sees, nah counldn't be, he never sees anything, so how the hell can he see into the future if he cannot see when his players dive, ah well!!

Wonder can he see the lotto numbers for tomorrow nite ;)

He has a good point though, I do not think that English clubs are as cynical but you never know, money does weird things.
    I would not have thought that United would have structured it this way though to influence teams into losing against them, but hey you never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

lol I'm not sure how you couldn't understand that article.
    If you'd actually seen the news conference, the question was actually put to Le Boss AW, it wasn't something he just decided to talk about.

Advertisement