Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spiders - big hairy fellas

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I saw a massive black spider with yellow speckles while I was renting a house in the country a good 7 years a go. I just used a fly-swatter on it against the wall...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I've one of these

http://caliban.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~stueber/essays/pholcus/pholcus_phalangioides.html

living on the ceiling of my shower. I've saved it from drowning a couple of times. It seems to have either died or molted now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I hate spiders but I have not seen anything like the type have been seen by people on the previous pages, only the baby ones are in my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

horrificly large

kill them

kill them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

awww...i would love a tarantula.....you can eat them too..euchh...saw it on telly, they caught the tarantulas and then made a light egg batter and fried them.....but it is funny though aint it? they (spiders) are like a few hundred times smaller then us but seem to frighten us more than bigger earthly creatures....seriously though just watch them and you will see how cool they are...maybe it's the legs that freak people out...or the eyes...???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Awww man, pictures. I knew I shouldn't have come into this thread :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Waltons wrote:
    Awww man, pictures. I knew I shouldn't have come into this thread :eek:
    How I wish I had only ever seen pictures... Hairy tarantulas seem a lot more endearing than the ones I've mentioned. (Though these (tarantulas) can shoot spikes - the banana leafers just scare the sh1t out of you!). E.g. you walk to the pub and spot some of them overhead on telephone wires that traverse the road overhead . You proceed to the pub, meet everyone, some people are annoying late - so you end up drinking more than you planned- end up getting locked and start to walk home. You suddenly sober up for some reason and then you remember to look up and realise it just here you last saw the big-ass spider. You sprint past the point - and when you get home you paranoicly look in the bathroom mirror to make sure one hasn't landed on your head.

A spider that is big as your head is scary to almost everyone imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

awww...i would love a tarantula.....you can eat them too..euchh...saw it on telly, they caught the tarantulas and then made a light egg batter and fried them.....but it is funny though aint it? they (spiders) are like a few hundred times smaller then us but seem to frighten us more than bigger earthly creatures....seriously though just watch them and you will see how cool they are...maybe it's the legs that freak people out...or the eyes...???

it is the legs. 8 of the little things, never know what direction they will go in :eek:

i cant stand spiders, i really hate them. ugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

while we are on about our creepy friends, i saw one of these in the shed last week.

:eek:
    looks like an orb weaver

its marrrrrsssive.. i have it in a jar, it has eaten about 30 wasps so far!

and a mouse...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

There is an uncommonly huge amount of spiders about at the moment.
    I found this ugly beastie living in a tree at the bottom of my back garden... scared the living daylights out of me... and it's tormenting my poor doggie because she can see it but it's too high up for her to get at.
    I'd love if she could get her teeth into it... I wouldn't have to feed her for a whole week... it's THAT big!!! :D

mutantspiderfromhell.jpg

(pic was taken with my blurry camera phone) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

the banana leafers just scare the sh1t out of you!).

Banana leaf spiders? Can only find 1 link on Google - that refers to a variety in the Phillipines; http://www.irri.org/science/progsum/pdfs/DGReport2002/04Pubs&Seminars.pdf

What country are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

With all these spider deaths no wonder its raining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Good Lod Jesus in Heaven!

"They run 10 mph, jump three feet, are a nocturnal spider, so only come out at night unless they are in shade. When they bite you, you are injected with Novocain so you go numb instantly. You don't even know you are bitten when you are sleeping, so you wake up with part of your leg or arm missing because it has been gnawing on it all night long. If you are walking around and you bump something that is casting a shadow over it, and the sun makes contact with it, you better run. It will instantly run for your shadow,screeching the whole time it is chasing you.

PS. The one on the bottom is eating the one on the top. These are Spiders found daily in IRAQ by troops. Imagine waking up and seeing one of these in your tent!!"

A load of arse, I know, but it still gives you the willies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I had a very scary thing happen to me when I was a kid. I was sleeping on the top bunk and a spider was in the corner of the room I asked my dad to take it out as I was really scared of them at the time, and the bollix wouldnt do it for me. told me it was harmless and not to worry about it, but i did worry about it, eventually after much fretting i fell asleep then what felt like 5 mins woke up screaming as the spider had landed on my face and was crawling .. :mad:

Advertisement