Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ipod

Options
  • 10-09-2004 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

i bought a creative zen for the simple fact that it works on windows 98se and the ipod doesnt. i wanted the ipod more but now i have just seen on the itunes site that windows 2000/xp is needed for itunes. does this mean that if i dont use itunes to transfer (say i use musicmatch) then it will work on windows 98se? also i have access to a computer with windows me. is that the same as 2000? will itunes work on windows me?

cheers, moe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yup you can use musicmatch and there's loads of freeware/shareware apps you can use too...GO IPODS!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

do i need any drivers etc? can i just copy and paste them on the ipod directory or whatever its called?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

big_moe,
    dont touch an ipod ever.
    they are the crappiest piece of crap i have ever come across,i had a creative zen(20gb) but i accidentally dropped it down the toilet so i figured,mneh ill go for an ipod,biggest waste of my money,the thing broke within 2 weeks and they wudnt give me a refund but were going to charge me 150 euro to get it fixed!
    i threw that away and now ive got a creative zen touch,very nice machine imho

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

big_moe wrote:
    do i need any drivers etc? can i just copy and paste them on the ipod directory or whatever its called?

The ipod shows up as a removeable drive and there's a folder called IPOD control but you'd be better off using an app to transfer the files so you can keep them organised..I've never had a prob with mine btw...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The Ipod needs drivers to mount it on a computer.
    If you just drop songs onto it then afaik it only works as a hdd and you cant listen to them.

Garth if it broke in 2 weeks and they wouldn't replace then surely it only broke because of your negligence and so they didn't have to.

• Advertisement

so can i transfer on a pc with musicmatch using windows 98se or windows me?

right, i have found out that an ipod will work with windows 98se but only as a HDD. ok, if i activate an ipod as a hdd on a pc running windows xp, then i come home to my windows 98se pc and dump a load of songs on it, they wont play cos its in hdd mode i know. but then if i leave the songs on the ipod in hdd mode and then go back to the xp pc and change it from hdd to "music" mode (dont know what its called!) will the songs be there to play now? or will they only appear when its in hdd mode?

feckin compatability issues! i prob would be better off to upgrade my home pc to windows xp...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Not sure with an iPod but with a Zen they'll only appear in HDD mode.
    I'd say it's the same with the iPod.

What you could do is stick the songs on in HDD mode, then go back to the XP pc, upload them to that pc, and then stick them on the iPod using iTunes. Then you can listen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Really though nothing beats an iRiver iHP 140. I got one couple of months ago and its super. It works as an external HD. Drag and drop perfect. Any files can be stored and it will play lots of music files, mp3, ogg etc. Dont need any extra software for transferring music (dont evn need drivers with win xp, just plug and play). Nothing wrong with this beast. I will soon be using it to transfer downloads in college to home 40gigs of downloads! with nothiing needing to be installed in college and a usb2 connection.

I know this is not what you are looking for but if you need a new player or if anyone does I cant recommend this more!

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Those people win win98, you should use this free program for copying music accross to your (windows formatted) ipod : http://www.ephpod.com/download.shtml

As for reliability, I've had mine (10GB 2nd gen) for ages now, I've travelled/backpacked with it loads and it hasn't once broken down. Just recently I replaced the battery from eurobatteries.com for £28.55. It's now running like new again

• Advertisement

so if i format my ipod on a windows xp pc and then use ephpod on windows 98 it works??? what about drivers etc? sorry bout all the questions, but i dont want to part with over €400 and then find out i cant use it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

no you don't use Windows to format the ipod, that will screw things up. You need to download the latest firmware for the ipod from apple. If you choose the windows version of this software, when you install it, it will automatically format your ipod to windows (fat 32).

Download from here: http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

cheers for your help. i borrowed an ipod from a mate and i got it working on my windows 98 pc with ephpod so im off now to buy one!

Advertisement