Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neverwinter Nights

Options
  • 10-12-2000 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hey guys, I don't normally post here, I'm a slightly regular CS post person (I can hear the hounds baying) and on a recent post "about an hour ago" I got talking about Online RPG's, and it reminded me about Neverwinter Nights

I've been a regular to Black Isle's site for a few years now, and got an e-mail reply from them a few days after Baldur's Gate came out, telling me that a sequel and add-on pack for the for first one was on it's way out. That was around 13th January 1998 and lo and behold they did all they said.

Well when I found out about Neverwinter Nights at first I was awestruck, it was (and is still) everything I've ever wanted in a game. I've typed enough today and so 'm not going to type a game description, but I'll tell you a few things about this game. I personally think that it'll be the biggest selling game ever, and also is going to revolutionise the online gaming comunity.

Put it this way, I spent about 4 hours on the site once I found it, read the FAQ, look at the JPEG images and download the videos. Go to www.blackisle.com and access it from there. Also go to http://www.rpgplanet.com/planetnw/

Enjoy. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Edilfar (edited 10-12-2000).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

hmmm, thanks

but... a bit slow on the uptake there. It's old news at this stage. Unless it's been released already?

I heard the release date was November in the states but a lack of websites devoted to it leads me to believe that they lied to me!!

ricky.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Not out here yet.

I checked their site,

Q3 of 2001 frown.gif

waaaaaah! I don't wanna wait that looooong!

ricky.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Edilfar

Patience my son, we must wait for the revolution to take place,or something like that.

But seriously tis game will rock,and the competition will be sunken by it, best game ever,I'd say so.

C U 3rd Quarter 2001. smile.gif

i *hope* this game rocks.

however I do have reservations.

1. the menu system (that radial spiral thing just doesn't do it for me)

2. the specs seem quite low for the images they're producing

3. slowdown on a network as PC wait for others to catch up.

4. the tiny server requirement (in terms of power), when they say minimum, exactly what slowdown / lack of features are we thinking of? Also, the "dm can jump in" factor, seperate machine needed? Slowdown again?

5. not sure I'm happy with their hints about the level of rules customisation.

6. Customisation of scenery and "building blocks" , how easy will it be, will it be possible, multilevel maps? will it be a BG "you must gather your party" or will the party be able to split up?

7. the lack of climbing will limit some scenario conversions.

By the way, htere's already a project underway that's working on converting World of Greyhawk modules (I think Temple of Elemental Evil is one of the first. Right now they're converting the stats and system to 3e format - quite difficult considering it's coming from 1st ed.).

If it delivers everything (or even 3/4) of what it promises, it will be fantastic but after promising so much it could easily fall flat on it's face frown.gif

I think htey should have re-released the original Neverwinter Nights to run alongside, for those with a tendency for a little nostalgia. Never got to play it, but I loved the gold-box SSI stuff smile.gif

ricky.gif

• Advertisement

Well BG2 had multiplayer as an afterthought.

As for NWN from what I gather it is not MMORPG. Something more the lines of Vampire the gathering. Where a person who runs the server creates a storyline for players that he/she allows.

The biggest selling point (at the moment) is the fact your allowed import your BG2 character smile.gif My thief character in BG2 got pretty fun to play up near the end. So I'm just itching to start playing it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Edilfar

Sorry for the late reply guys.

Just wanted to comment on what the commander dudes said.

Being totally honest with you LoLth I ain't in the least skeptical, why? These are the guys who brought us the Infinity Engine games, i.e. BG1, BG2, Torment and Icewind Dale.

I've talked to some of them through e-mail and on the official message boards and their really some of the nicest and most dedicated guys you could meet. I think they'll pull it off and in doing so will revolutionise the gaming industry, I've said it to everyone I know since the site first went up and I'll stick by what I said.

Don't forget that technology is advancing at rapid rates, and this can mean that with a alright spec PC you could possibly play amazingly graphical games. Take the transition in space requirements from BG1 to BG2. BG1 was roughly between 75 to 125 hours long to play through and was on 5 CD's. BG2 is only 4 CD's and yet contains a monumental 350 hours of playing time. When you compare what their trying to do with the guys who are doing Dungeon Siege, both companies are taking on majour tasks. In DS there is no area transition, which sounds to me like an impossibility. This would normally kill your RAM, loading practically the whole game(which is suppossed to be huge by the way) into memory, but it apparently works.

So let's look forward to the new dawn with glee and dream of the realities that are soon to come. C U all later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Predator

snuh

Is there a reason you bumped this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

• Advertisement
Advertisement