Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google hijacked

Options
  • 10-09-2004 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Every time i log on to google and search a subject, the page comes up and lasts for about 5-10 sec ,it then goes to another google page and states I will find the subject at'info.com' and when I click the subject again I am into a comletely different searc engine ie 'info.com'
    I have reported this to google, and they have asked me to install the usual security software such as ad-aware,mcafee stinger,skyboot search & destroy, which I have done and run all od these but it has made no difference.
    Has anyone had a similar problem and if so were they able to resolve it. Yahoo works ok for me so its not the end of the world,its a strange one for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I had that problem and couldnt fix it no matter what i seemed to do, so i also got mozilla firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

I'm using the google search bar with no problems. Maybe give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Trust me, this isn't a problem with google.

You might have more look on the Windows board; moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

CWShredder I think thats the name of it. Ad aware mightnt get that spyware

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

The best place that iv found for help with this sorta stuff is here....

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?

It sounds like your Browser has been hijacked, ad-aware and the other main programs will miss the nastier new hijackers so u should look at a lil program call cs shredder.

Read the FAQ on that site, its got lil programs that will ID the hijack and explain how to remove it...

Misty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Sounds like spyware alright. Your browser has been hijacked. Just think, Inter Explorer has been taken over by some group of people which the technical skill and lack of ethics to do this. You (probably) access your email through IE, type you boards password into IE. How do you know these cracker aren't harvesting all of this? This isn't somekind of minor annoyance with accessing Google on your PC, it's the lost of trust with your web browser. You don't and can't know what else they have done to it.

Try to remove it as soon as possible. If your sick of having to be constantly on your guard, then get Firefox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Another thing that occured to me, if Google was cracked, then that'd be Big News. Millions of people go there everyday, so if something major like that happened, then it would make news on places like SlashDot ot The Register or other technology sites. Heck it might even get into the mainstream press. (Damn normies!) So if you think somethig like that has happened check out those sites first.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

get spybot search and destroy and Adaware. Both are free.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Your machine has spyware crap on it. From experience, if you can I would say get a friend to download it, or download Firefox first (link above) and then get the downloads using that.

A lot of the new spyware is stopping people from downloading these or making them redownload

Then stop using IE if at all possible. The latest exploit only requires you to look a picture on a webpage and they have full access to your machine (when using IE). Not to mention a few other exploits in IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

If you do find spyware, make sure that you keep an eye on your credit card statement (if you ordered anything since it was hijacked) and I suggest you change your password for EVERYTHING

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

• Advertisement
Advertisement