Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclocking case

Options
  • 10-09-2004 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

right does the case you have make any difference to the amount of overclocking you can do, like does a tower case have better air flow than a midi case as im stuck between the two-tower or midi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I guess if you have better airflow you can keep things cooler.
    But just choose which ever one has the features you want from a case.

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

same case fans in a smaller case can keep things alot breezier but not so good when u got alot a things to block airflow like ribbon cables, unnessary pci cards(cmon everyone at least 1!) etc..
    Thats when tower comes in handy :>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

in general more airflow means more fans and more noise, but full towers are easier to keep cool than smaller cases as things don't get so cramped.

keep in mind not all towers are the same, i'm having some fierce problems with mine and already did tons of mods on it to make it better.

using rounded cables, cable wraps or ties, and making things neat will improve airflow as it won't be meeting so much resistance.

how far you can push things depends on a lot of things, and a good case is just one part of the equation. you'll need good heatsinks / fans for your components, with cpu's you can always get lucky and get a really overclockable one, or get a dud that won't go much higher than default.

lian-li make some of the best cases, and are very suitable for overclocking.
    other good brands include aopen, antec and coolermaster. (others will probably add a few more)

for a budget system, you can also look at chieftec. it's kinda "cheap and cheerful" of computer cases. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Thermaltake r quite good, ive had mine for a while now... Comes with 7 fans n a fan controller. U can have all them running on the lowest setting n cant hear them. Mind u, i dont use them...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Your unlikely to get any lower temps with 7 fans than you are with 4. There is no need for a big tower unless you plan on putting a lot of stuff in there like 4+ hd's.

Any case with decent airflow like the antec sonata, the super lanboy or the thermaltake lanfire are all small but have excellent airflow.

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Bloodbath gave a few good suggestions, I generally find the Lian Li cases to be quite good too.

The Thermaltake Xaser cases may be good for cooling, but they are hideous looking (imho).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I dont like the look of the Thermaltake either, tis why its under my desk. I got it dirt cheap n its quite big which is what i needed..... Plan to upgrade in a month r two to this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Other_Cases_35.html

(very top one)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The vm2000 lanfire is good looking, especially when you stick some lighting inside. Their new Tsunami wave cases are quite nice as well.

I agree the rest look pretty crap.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

The case itself makes a world of difference to overall temps. I agree with Koneko on the Lian Li's, they look great and have excellent cooling. They're giant heatsinks made from aluminium.

Advertisement