Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Phil lon 57live

Options
  • 10-09-2004 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

Dr Phil lies^H^H^H^^H spoofs his way through an interview on 5 7 live today

I'm waiting for the interview to become available

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

bealtine wrote:
    Dr Phil lies^H^H^H^^H spoofs his way through an interview on 5 7 live today

I'm waiting for the interview to become available

Looks like its up. Can somebody please do a job on it and edit/convert the relevent piece.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

*bump*

Anyone able to get this and convert it to a proper audio format ? Only looking for Phillys bit. We need to find out what he said by tomorrow if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

If you are looking for the 5-7 audio from last Friday, I don't see them on the RTE site yet. Last one is from Thursday.

P.

Ok, I just edited out those links. Maybe it'll be tomorrow.

If anyone heard it though and can give a quick summary post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Link to the friday program is here.

Anyone know roughly when it was during the program?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Moriarty wrote:

Anyone know roughly when it was during the program?

After 1:52 And it makes the blood boil.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Available now at Listen to the latest show. Starts 1:52:35 into show.

Case study of Brendan Palmer who has a small electronic recycling business in Finglas. Has Broadband at work but can't get it at home in Rathfarnham which causes him problems as there are quite a few business related things he could do from home. He said that Eircom's attitude to him seemed to be one of "Mr Palmer lives in the wrong place", even though it's the fourth most populated area of the city. Basically he's too far from exchange.

Nolan trotted out load of waffle about how Eircom are powering ahead on Broadband, they have come from virtually nowhere to about 75,000 users, Eircom are investing in and promoting Broadband heavily and they are "the only ones really doing it meaningfully".

Admitted there are problems, claimed many of them to do with inheriting a network designed for voice telecoms and having to modify it, which takes time; because of Broadband being more sensitive technology and distance/noise issues, some lines are not suitable. Said Mr Palmer's house is in Rathfarnham which is a suburb and he's "just a little bit too far from the exchange" and you'll find same problem in the suburbs of any large city such as London, Paris or Rome.

Asked what can be done for people like Mr Palmer, he said they can already give Mr Palmer, or anyone, Broadband by satellite which is "a bit more expensive". Secondly they are running a pilot in Ennis to increase range . They are also "looking at" wireless technologies like Wi-Max.

Asked if he was in a position to say whether Mr Palmer and people like him can get a quality service in the near future at a reasonable price or one near to the current Broadband offering, Nolan replied "we can't say that for certain but we are doing all we can to connect these sorts of people". Claimed that 85% to 90% of the 36,000 lines in Rathfarnham prequalify - "out of every 5 people, 4 can get it"

Challenged about lack of investment and profit-taking out of the company, he basically said that Eircom is a company and must make profit to stay in existence and continue to exist which is important for the people of Ireland, finished by talking again about problems of rolling out Broadband on pre-existing network but they will eventually get there.

===========================

Lots of points there where he could have been challenged by someone better briefed on the subject, ones that immediately jump out at me include:
    • 75,000 users out of 4 million population is something to boast about?
    • his figure of 4 out of 5 people can get in in Rathfarnham dooesn't take into account 30% line failure rate, which probably reduces it to 3 out of 5
    • his claim about same problems in suburbs of other large cities should be checked out, certainly doesn't stack up for London with BT's aim of 100% provision including rural areas, never mind large suburbs.
    • satellite is a lot more expensive, not a little more expensive and has performance issues
    • they are 'trialing' technology to increase distance when other providers like BT are already implementing the technology.
    • they are "looking at" wireless when other people are racing ahead with it.
    Only goes to confirm that the sooner we get a head-to head between Eircom and someone who knows what they are talking about, the better.

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I heard that interview, and the Eircom spokesperson whose name is not worthy of a mention by me.

Sounded like a frightened eunach, with no place too hide.He had clearly lost the PR game before he was even given an opportunity to speak, or should that be "Squeak".

God I actually felt sympathy for him as a human being, faced with trying to justify the unjustifiable and answer the unanswerable.

Poor sod.

This is the e-mail address of the programme: 57live@rte.ie

I suggest we educate them as to the true facts. I'll be sending in an email in a minute with my views, I think it would be good that anyone that objected to Phil's comments should do the same. As usual be civil and polite. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Done already. Strike while the iron's hot.

• Advertisement

Interview is up in full here (3.31mb/64kbit encoding).

(link updated to a working one)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

404 Moriarty

Pants. Have you got somewhere to stick it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Paddy20 wrote:
    Sounded like a frightened eunach, with no place too hide.He had clearly lost the PR game before he was even given an opportunity to speak, or should that be "Squeak".
    The problem is that he (and they) get way with this sort of waffle and misinformation week after week. Much of the media haven't yet woken up to how much spin Eircom are putting on all this stuff and how they only appear where they won't have to face the tough questions.

That's why Damien's suggestion is so important, don't just get angry at this stuff, get onto the media*, point out the inaccuracy of what Eircom are saying, make the media angry about this, then Eircom really will have "no place to hide"

Martin

*I realise you personally have already done this, I mean members in general :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Moriarty wrote:
    Pants. Have you got somewhere to stick it up?
    I'll host it if you can mail it to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

AAAGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!:eek:

"okay let me just say....erm, we're powering ahead in Broadband..."

Jesus H, if you listened to Nolan you'd swear BB had landed on earth last week and eircom was struggling manfully to cope. He completely ignored the question about withdrawl of potential capital funding since privatisation.

Whats he a Dr of? BS?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

I believe he is/was a geologist.

Mail it to me and I'll put it on the IOFFL site Moriarty.

Dangger wrote:
    I believe he is/was a geologist.

Like a person who digs for gold ?

Thanks dregin :)

• Advertisement

Is that snippet 6:12? It seems to cut off midway through the interview.

It should be 7:12 long (3.31 MB/3,471,777 bytes).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Fidgety Phil anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

In the business section at the end of to-day's 5-7 Live program they read out some of the responses to Dr Phil's interview on Friday. One mentioned getting a Pass on the line test but a fail when the person went to order. Another mentioned the fact that satellite was expensive, and not suitable for apps like Voip and Gaming.

M.

I heard that they never get as much feedback on a business story as they did with this one. Well done to all those that mailed in comments.

Moriarty wrote:
    It should be 7:12 long (3.31 MB/3,471,777 bytes).
    Sorry, meant to post earlier: The MP3 on the IrelandOffline site has been updated now.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

damien.m wrote:
    Like a person who digs for gold ?

No thats a golddigger damien ;-)

Seriously though I remember I met Dr. Phil a few years ago, in the IDA building out by CIT in Cork, not too long after he had taken over. AFAIK he used work BP or Shell or some other crowd like that (correct me if I am wrong)

He was pestered with questions from the audience^H^H^H me (other ppl left me do the talking) with regards flat rate dialup and broadband etc. One of the things I remember him saying with regards to flat rate that it will never happen since it was not viable! And he would only do if it was politically mandated to do so. Fécker!

-Toppy-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Such a misleading topic... I thought this was going to be about TV's Dr.Phil, but by the sounds of it, it's some Irish bloke? :(

Advertisement