Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email Problems on Nokia 6820

Options
  • 10-09-2004 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I bought a Nokia 6820 last week on Meteor but I haven't been able to access the email on it. I was getting the message "Subscribe to GPRS first"

I can access it via WAP but that's not the point.

I had rang Meteor Customer Support, which was a total waste of time. 2 days waiting on a call back from their technical team. I went back to the branch where I bought it and the guy there downloaded the settings from Nokia.ie This helped...sort of. It started dialling but dropped the connection.

I think this may have something to do with the fact that I don't dial up thro' EirCON anymore (my email is an @eircom.net). I switched to UTV Internet when they introduced flat rate net access. Does any body know if it is possible to either a. change the dial up number (nokia.ie only lists EirCON and a few others) or b. is there a generic EirCON username and password?

Many thanks in advance.

Ay Cee.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, it may be possible to use the GPRS ISP service if you are a contract customer but you would need to check with Meteor support...

otherwise to use an 'ericom dial-up'; using the eircom.net free service 1892150150 then you can use any username/password e.g. eircom - calling the sub service 1891150150 you need to use your dial-up login username/password

don't forget to enter in the DNS server IP addresses, correct mail server details etc. check the the eircom.net support site for details (right hand column after choosing you account type)

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Thanks for the reply Dub.

I think I figured the problem. The settings downloaded from Nokia.ie have the Eircom number in the international +353... format when I manually tried to dial this number it wouldn't connect. However when I dialled the number without the +353... I got the usual "t'internet noise".

I tried to change the dialup number on the phone but it won't let me. Surely there must be some way around this?

Oh yeah, I rang the Nokia support line and they said they can do nothing they get the numbers from the ISP's.

Is it possible to manually enter all details? I tried putting in the details manually but didn't get an option for a dialup number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, haven't got a 6820 to hand, can you try setting up a new mail account and see if it will prompt you to create a new connection during the process and choose GSM (CSD) connection entering the relevant details; otherwise try and set up a GSM (CSD) connection manually and see if you can get the mail account to refer/select it...

otherwise look into getting the GPRS ISP service set-up (if you are a contract customer) and use that

BrianG

Advertisement