Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Presume I am entitled to a refund?

Options
  • 10-09-2004 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

purchased 4 cd box set today - 2 of the discs are identical
    shop does not have another copy

presume I am not obliged to accept a credit note and am entitled to a cash refund (I paid cash)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

You are entitled to a full refund or replacement if the product is not fit for the purpose it was intended for, a cd set with the wrong discs would qualify for this. Do not accept a credit note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭simonm2

It's still the same old "sales of goods act" from 189something or other which states that goods must be of "merchandable quality" or words to that effect. Your cds are clearly substandard.

If they give you lip, and you're willing to wait about 4 weeks - download the small court claims form, fill it in, add the 9 euros for the fee and send it off - ask for a modicum of damages too. If they contest it, they will be laughed out of the court room - if they don't the district court tells them to pay up. Excellent system - underused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭eoin_f

is the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980 (or 198x !!)

it states the following rules of sales in that the item purchased must be :
    1 - fit for its purpose
    2 - as described
    3 - of merchantable quality

obviosly it is neither of merchantable quality or fit for its purpose so go for it.

if unsure call the consumers assocation of ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭simonm2

All the sale of goods stuff is based on the original from 1896. As far as I know it is still on the statue books even if superceded by later legislation.

Either way you're covered. Do think about the Small Claims court thing. Easy and it would make them think twice about screwing round with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Whoa! Steady on guys. This is a no brainer and the guy has not yet gone back to the shop yet and we are already talking of court cases. Of course the shop will give him a refund if he goes back in with the product and the receipt. I'm sure they will give him the option of waiting for a replacement copy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

BrianD wrote:
    Whoa! Steady on guys. This is a no brainer and the guy has not yet gone back to the shop yet and we are already talking of court cases.
    LYNCH THE BASTARDS.

Due process can wait till after BrianD ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

BrianD wrote:
    Whoa! Steady on guys. This is a no brainer and the guy has not yet gone back to the shop yet and we are already talking of court cases. Of course the shop will give him a refund if he goes back in with the product and the receipt. I'm sure they will give him the option of waiting for a replacement copy as well.

end result was - I went back in; they didn't have a replacement copy so I was offered my money back -which I took

thanks for the suggestions

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

And are you going to leave them off with that ? Your money back but no large token of extreme apology and recompense for having to go to Boards and organise a lynch mob ?

God be with the days before customer service and you had to fight to get your due !

Name them and shame them I say, name them and shame them !

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Without actually working out the stastics, roughly 90% of the replies to this post have said go to the small claims court, then the last post said name and shame them.

A few points:
    1/ Most shops dopn't remove the discs from boxes they simply post on a security seal
    2/ These same shops buy cd's / dvd's from suppliers in good faith just the same as the public buy those same cd's / dvd's from shops in good faith
    3/ If a store was to open, check and reseal every item they buy it would take way more staff
    4/ Way more staff cost more wages, with increase's overheads which increases the selling price, which makes you lot moan even more

Someone bought a boxed set, it had the wrong discs, he/she brought it back and was given a refund.

Why does everyone suddenly suggest the small claims court?
    It costs alot more than €9, considering that you'll have to take time off work and also the time you'll have to put into preparing your case.

Maybe I've missed the boat on this one, but can someone explain the point of everyone getting their knickers in a twist????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

parsi wrote:
    And are you going to leave them off with that ? Your money back but no large token of extreme apology and recompense for having to go to Boards and organise a lynch mob ?

God be with the days before customer service and you had to fight to get your due !

Name them and shame them I say, name them and shame them !

;-)

I take it that this is some sort of humour ... I hope!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

BrianD wrote:
    I take it that this is some sort of humour ... I hope!

Yip.. the " ;-) " was supposed to be the giveaway !

Advertisement