Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"IT Tallaght"

Options
  • 10-09-2004 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭

Got IT Tallaght, a cert course at that, as my only offer on the CAO.
    Have two choices:

A: Go in and register on Monday, "work" for two years and hopefully get a merit and go on and do a degree course in UCD or DIT
    or
    B: Go back and repeat the ol' leaving cert and hopefully get enough to get a degree course.

Can anyone help me out? Is IT Tallaght any use?
    Whats the social stuff like?
    tell me it has a bar.....and a decent freshers week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I know nothing of IT Tallagh but don't bother repeating, do your two years and then go and get a degree in DCU ( UCD is pants ) because you can start there in 3rd year or something like that instead of having to do all 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

If you finish a Cert and transfer to DCU or any other uni you do 2nd year again afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Yeah,I know, but I get the feeling I could be wasting two years of my life,like.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

rb_ie wrote:
    Yeah,I know, but I get the feeling I could be wasting two years of my life,like.
    I'm going to generalise here but employers as a rule tend to like people who did their diploma and went on to do their degree. It shows a long-term commitment towards a goal, achieved twice, and usually means that the guy was in the top section of the class as well.

I didn't know that...
    So does anyone know what Tallaght IT is like?like, the social aspects?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

I had to do that, Done a crap leaving (No interest in any subject) done two years in Dhulaigh & just got accepted into 2nd year Hons computer science degree in DIT. Make sure the course has direct links to the college you want to go to after the 2 years. Social wise it sucked, there was little to no social events, was still good tho...

Thanks joePC

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

What course yea doing in tallaght?
    I went ther eand did computing science, the social is great in tallaght, a good selection of lovely lookin girls and another selection of girls that are sluts.
    its not as bad as its made out to be,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

joePC wrote:
    I had to do that, Done a crap leaving (No interest in any subject) done two years in Dhulaigh & just got accepted into 2nd year Hons computer science degree in DIT. Make sure the course has direct links to the college you want to go to after the 2 years. Social wise it sucked, there was little to no social events, was still good tho...

Thanks joePC

You doing FT228? I am going into 4th year myself now.

Lenny wrote:
    What course yea doing in tallaght?
    I went ther eand did computing science, the social is great in tallaght, a good selection of lovely lookin girls and another selection of girls that are sluts.
    its not as bad as its made out to be,

I'm doing a Business Administration ( TA102 ) cert course,
    that's good to here thats theres's good talent there too though, a bit of an insentive to go ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 uary

I read in the times college guide last year that It tallaght one of the highest percent of grads finding jobs or soemthing, go to www.skoool.ie and search for college leagues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Tis a lovely college, my mam works there. Loads of people and laods of fun to be had. I wouldn't worry about the the fact that it's tallaght, the college has a good reputation at the minute. Lots of high grades or something. [I just turn off when my mam waffles.]

I don't care that it is Tallaght, but over the summer I haven't met one other person going to the place.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

rb_ie wrote:
    I'm doing a Business Administration ( TA102 ) cert course,
    that's good to here thats theres's good talent there too though, a bit of an insentive to go ;)
    Ahh, the best course to pick for the ladies
    I think the businessn is the most popular class, becareful who you make friends with, a lot of people are in that course just for a laugh and will try and drag a few people down..
    best of luck in your course
    Oh and btw, don't go abck and repeat the LC thats just pointless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

You doing FT228? I am going into 4th year myself now.

Yea, whats in like in Kev street?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

rb_ie wrote:
    I don't care that it is Tallaght, but over the summer I haven't met one other person going to the place.

Yeah It's alright, the social life depends on how much you are willing to go places. There seems to be some sort of event on every week.

And yeh Business course = hot chicks.

I think I've my mind made up now, thanks to a few "insightful posts" so I'll be up for registration tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Know a good few people there. Its a good college, they require good grades once you are doing the course. My friend needed a B- average to move onto the next year as opposed to a 40% average for me.

Really? I just registered yesterday, it seems good and looks like quite a good sociable college too. Grades shouldnt be too much of a problem, continuous assessment so like, you can keep track of what you're doing well in and what you need to work on to pull up the grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭eefs

Have to say that, although I don't go to IT Tallaght, I do work beside it (go Londis) and there is some good female talent for you lads. And they always seem to have mad Fresher's weeks, bands, comedians, socials.

I'd say go for it.

Yeah I have to say, I noticed the talent all right ;)
    Yeah Freshers Week looks good, alot of time spent in Fables it seems..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Heh, it's a great little college. Really. I know some mad cool people going there. Enjoy yourself!

Yeah it's small but I suppose it means there'll be no trekking across campus from lecture hall to lecture hall.
    Actually, all the rooms in the college only fit 50-60 people, except three which are designed for the bigger classes. Not as impressive as the UCD lecture halls I have to say, they always reminded me of being in Ster Century for some reason....

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Im going into my 3rd year of college in IT-Tallaght..
    (2 years national cert in computing and first European studies as of monday)

The social life is great .. People are generally friendly..Canteen sucks..But plenty of cafes,shops and fast food places within 5 mins walk from the college.
    The women are plentiful.
    Epsicially in buis Admim..so ive been told.
    As regards the B- grade for cert to diploma progressin that has now dropped to a C in all Institutes of technologys nation wide.
    Also a cert is now called a Higher National Certificate.
    A diploma is now called an Ordinary degree and an Hons Degree is still an Hons Degree.
    ITT does have a high drop out rate in some courses but thats probably because the points are so low. For example Mechanical Engineering is AQA and people dont realise how difficult of a course it is..Phyiscs..Advanced maths etc..
    A degree from IT-tallaght is a good as a degree from anywhere else.
    The college is in the Top 3 for computing courses and its the No1 college in the country for Audio Visual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭dendenz

I done Science there for two years and its fantastic. I still am very good friends with all the lads I went to college with there and we go out every Friday and a couple of Saturdays. Anyone going to Picture House on Fri?

Yeah I'll be goin to Fables for PictureHouse on Friday, should be a laugh...waited too long to get the mystery tour tickets and ended up missing them which is crap but at least the rest of the week should be a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Burke

any good clubs or socs which should be considered in IT Tallaght??????

Burke wrote:
    any good clubs or socs which should be considered in IT Tallaght??????

Try Karting, Paintball, Football/Any sport you are interested in.

I used to run the Karting, was cheap enough and plenty of people went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭dendenz

The drama society, beer society were the ones I was part of, we started the gaming society but unfortunatley it ended up being run by a couple of pricks!

Yeah I was in the gaming soc for a while, they couldn't organise anything. We had a small lan in some crappy cafe in town and the network was pure crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Join Netsoc!!!
    Has its own web forum and offers students a good few GIGS of network storage space thats accessible from anywhere. Means you can access your lecture notes and project crap from home without buying loads of floppys or Zip disks.
    Also last year we had 2 gaming nights. Great craic. Had them in an internet cafe in town and booked the place from 11pm - 9am.

The Paintball club is well worth your €3 too!

Advertisement