Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So ... anyone up for a game?

• 10-09-2004 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

So then,

A friend and I are interested in getting a game going, preferably Call of Cthulu, since we're both interested in that.
    However, since we're both complete noobs to pnp we're looking for ppl to join as players and gm.
    No day or time has been set yet, but we're based in Dublin for the time being and most evenings are handy enough.

So, if anyone's interested reply here or send me a pm. I hope gaming's not dead yet :D

((Can also be persuaded into other rpg's :) ))

Cheers,

shahakran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Remember the golden rule: The fact that there are often 6 party members and 6 bullets in your gun is not coincidence. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭EdBanger

I belive my Group (witch incedentaly formed here) will be answering the Call soon, once the mage Game i'm running concludes one othe the others was gibbering somthin about Cthulu.... We could allways do with fresh blood, I mentiuon ye to the others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Old_Delirium

Hi Shahakran.

You're right - tabletop gaming's not dead, it's alive and well!

As edbanger said in his message above, our small group of roleplayers plan to move on to Call of Cthulhu in the future. We have been playing together for a number of years, mostly playing White Wolf games like Vampire, Mage and Adventure! We usually meet on Thursday evenings after work.

That said, some of us would be happy to start up a second group perhaps meeting on another weeknight evening. We would be fairly flexible about location etc.

As it happens, I am keen to run a Call of Cthulhu campaign. I have a fair bit of experience with the game as a player and have most of the major sourcebooks so I would be happy to run modern day Delta Green, classic 1920s/1930s or even Dark Ages although my preference would be a New England campaign set in the late 20s campaign focusing on Innsmouth and perhaps moving on to the classic beyond the Mountains of Madness Campaign.

Here's my suggestion - we hook up for a coffee in town some evening over the next couple of week's and have a discussion.

Incidentally, the fact that you guys are fresh to tabletop roleplaying will not be a problem.

So, if you're interested, please respond or alternatively, mail me at:

eoinco@gofree.indigo.ie

(please put "Call of Cthulhu" or something similar in the subject line otherwise it ill be deleted with the mountain of spam I receive every day!)

Best,

Eoin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I always felt that the golen rule was "Never summon anything bigger than your head"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

You may find the following useful then:

Horror Movie Survival Kit

* When it appears that you have killed the monster, *never* check to see if it's really dead.

* If you find that your house is built upon or near a cemetery, was once a church that was used for black masses, had previous inhabitants who went mad or committed suicide or died in some horrible fashion, or had inhabitants who performed necrophilia or satanic practices in your house move away immediately.

* Never read a book of demon summoning aloud, even as a joke.

* Do not search the basement, especially if the power has just gone out.

* If your children speak to you in Latin or any other language which they should not know, or if they speak to you using a voice which is other than their own, shoot them immediately. It will save you a lot of grief in the long run.
    NOTE: - It will probably take several rounds to kill them, so be prepared.

* When you have the benefit of numbers, *never* pair off and go it alone.

* As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to Hell.

* Never stand in, on, above, below, beside, or anywhere near a grave, tomb, crypt, mausoleum, or other house of the dead.

* If you're searching for something which caused a noise and find out that it's just the cat, *leave the room immediately if you value your life.

* If appliances start operating by themselves, move out.

* Do not take *anything* from the dead.

* If you find a town which looks deserted, it's probably for a reason. Take the hint and stay away.

* Don't fool with recombinant DNA technology unless you're sure you know what you are doing.

* If you're running from the monster, expect to trip or fall down at least twice, more if you are of the female persuasion. Also note that, despite the fact that you are running and the monster is merely shambling along, it's still moving fast enough to catch up with you.

* If your companions suddenly begin to exhibit uncharacteristic behavior such as hissing, fascination for blood, glowing eyes, increasing hairiness, and so on, get away from them as fast as possible.

* Stay away from certain geographical locations, some of which are listed here: Amityville, Elm Street, Transylvania, Nilbog (God help you if you recognize this one), the Bermuda Triangle, or any small town in Maine.

* If your car runs out of gas at night, do not go to the nearby deserted-looking house to phone for help.

* Beware of strangers bearing tools such as chainsaws, staple guns, hedge trimmers, electric carving knives, combines, lawnmowers, butane torches, soldering irons, band saws, or any device made from deceased companions.

* Listen closely to the soundtrack; and pay attention to the audience, since they are usually far more intelligent than you could ever hope to be.

Cultism 101

How To Be A Cultist:

Recently, the Society For Evil Overlords has noticed a regrettable decline in the availability and quality of fanatical henchmen, evil priests, and willing sacrificial victims. We wish to correct this growing problem by submitting the following general guidelines for Cultists.

1. Pick one faith and stay with it. Dilettantism is the mark of the amateur.

2. Avoid needless embarrassment. Practice the correct pronunciation of your deity's name in the privacy of your own room before chanting it in public. Flash cards are often helpful.

3. Never invoke anything bigger than your head.

4. Avoid all cabalistic jewelry over ten pounds in weight -- it attracts unwelcome attention from tourists, policemen, various supernatural creatures, and can be downright dangerous during thunderstorms.

5. Citronella candles may not be used in rituals. I cannot stress this enough. Pastel-colored candles in the shape of cute animals are like beacons to the Powers of Darkness.

6. Always keep your kit with you: candles, chalk, incense, silver knife, Thuggee cord, service revolver, garlic, Yellow Sign, cabfare, condoms, and change.

7. NEVER be the cultist that goes to rough up the hero(es). Ransacking hotel rooms is probably safe, but going 'round to beat up the good guys is a sure route to the bottom of the Thames.

8. When the Black Mass goes awry, stay away from the Evil Priest. Enraged demons always go for the pompous.

9. Don't gloat.

10. If you can't resist gloating, don't reveal your plans.

11. If you do gloat and reveal your plans, don't leave the hero(es) to die slowly. They don't.

12. If you gloat, reveal your plans, and leave the hero(es) to die slowly, don't have the audacity to look surprised when they turn up at the last moment to foil your evil plot.

13. The hero (or heroes) will always show up at the last possible moment to foil your plans. With this in mind, start half an hour early -- they hate that.

14. Plan ahead by selecting ceremonial robes that are easy to run in while still affording ample concealment.

15. Never screw anything whose genetic structure you are not absolutely comfortable with.

16. Never admit to screwing anything whose genetic structure you are
    not absolutely comfortable with.

17. When a religious artifact begins emitting light, CLOSE YOUR EYES. Thousands of cultists could be saved every year if they'd just remember this simple safety tip.

18. When mutilating cattle, avoid the ones with testicles.

19. During ritual sacrificing, taking bits home for later is now generally considered "bad form."

20. Blood tests are now required for all sacrificial victims before the ritual. The effects of HIV+ offerings on the average malefic deity have never been witnessed by anyone living, or even intact.

21. Contrary to historical belief, drugs and invocations do not mix. When the **** comes down, it is vitally necessary to be able to discern between the gibbering monstrosity to throw the holy water on and the gibbering monstrosity that will fade away after a few hours, some B-complex, and a good hot bath.

22. Never play strip Tarot.

23. Piety and belief are powerful things, and few forces in nature can stand against one who is true to his faith, his God, and his own soul. However, it is also true that the Gods tend to side with the heaviest artillery, so be prepared to change sides at the drop of a hat.

24. For those situations where a fresh, living sacrifice is just not feasible (or even possible), the lower ranks of demons can be fooled by microwaving a previously-frozen chunk of ex-victim and cleverly jiggling it. However, a mock victim sculpted from Spam(tm) is right out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement