Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

little help with car stero

Options
  • 10-09-2004 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

hi,

i have a sony cdx680 car stero, which has a line in on it. now i assume its ment for a cd\md changer but i want to hook my 60gb zen into it-shouldnt be a problem its only left right phono on stero and 3.5mm on zen. i have the cables run in the car and hooked it up...... but nothing happens. most confusing and annoying!

it has a bus controller- again i assume its for control of the changer, i dont know much about these things, but learning!- would i need to activate it(ie have power running through the controller) before it would work? how would i do that? anyone sone suggestions? can this be done?

thanks
    tom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

wmail sony seriously theyll tell ya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

AFAIK you can only connect external sources that are able to talk to the head unit via the bus cable, as in sony cd changers. My sony head unit is the same it will not respond to a portable that is just connected via the phono inputs.

The only way of connecting an mp3 player is by using a small FM transmitter and tuning it in on the car stereo.
    Either that or buy a different brand of head unit and make sure it will accept an external input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

cheers john r, confirming what i feared,

is there a way i could fool the bus, cross the power feed or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Sounds like a good way to fry the head unit tbh.
    I really don't know much about the things but I very much doubt the switch for turning the external input on would be a voltage type switch. The cd changer control would need to be software based so I would expect the input control to be part of that.

It might be possible to get an adapter that connects to the bus input that would allow an external source to be connected, my sony head unit manual makes a vague reference to being able to connect other non changer devices but there are no details given. If there are any car audio fitters locally that deal with sony stuff they might know if there is such a thing, I couldn't find anything on the sony website though.

Any head units from other manufacturers that I have had that were able to take an input independent of a changer had a user changeable setting to turn the aux input on/off.

It is a common enough occourence for manufacturers to make incompatible connections that force consumers to buy more of their products when they want to upgrade, Sony are particularly fond of this tactic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

as i am finding out now!!

id rather not fry the head unit,

ill put my thinking cap on and ask around, there must be a solution!

• Advertisement
Advertisement