Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Corsa Dashboard Clock

Options
  • 10-09-2004 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Is anyone here familiar with the clock on the dash in an opel? Basically its set in the middle of the car on the dashboard and shows the time, temperature and radio station.

Ive the problem that the light behind this is gone and Ive no clue how to change it. Any ideas? Id like to avoid a trip to the garage if possible!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,392 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Your best bet is to pm mike65 - he'll most likely read this thread anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I had a 96 model Corsa and the clock/temp read-out was lit with two bulbs I think (in mine it was dim on the passenger side only) I suspect the bulbs are those really tiny 1-2 watt things.

The whole unit can be removed by pushing back or lifting off the dash. It'll proberly require a little close up investigating but I reckon you should be able to see the "join" and then give it a waggle to se which way it comes off.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I really can't recall the exact method now.

My one-
    corsa-interior-90.jpg
    latest one-
    consola.jpg

I imagine the newer dash clock is fixed in the same fashion.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Cheers Mike,
    Mine is a 96 Corsa so its the older type like in the first photo there. Its as if the display is a separate unit above the air vents, like theres a raised cover with the display underneath. There is a seam around the raised cover alright. The cover has a bit of give in it but I didnt try take it off before asking. It did go dim on one side though, before disappearing altogether.

The fitting is fairly crude but the plastic is tough so give it a push 'n shove and it should lift off! :) Just beware that the power lead to the unit is quiet short.

Mike.

Grand,
    I'll give it a shove tomorrow and hope for the best. Is it just the cover that comes off or does the whole unit pop out, screen and all?

• Advertisement

The whole box comes off and you have to turn it around to get at the bulbs I think. I wish I could recall better - my memories shot! :(

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I had to remove the heater control panel to replace the bulbs there. I can tell you that was no easy feat! :(

IIRC, screws that hold the heater panel also hold the front of the LEDs on top. The screws are behind the vents. I think to remove vents you must face them downwards and prise off.

One light is out on the driver side of mine but as it only displays the temperature, I hvaen't bothered to change it yet! The bulbs behind the LED clocks are the same as the lights behind heater panel - tiny bulbs with 2 bits of wire to make contact with sockets (similar to christmas tree lights).

Cheers byte,
    I was able to lift the back of the unit, but like you said, it seems fixed down at the front. I'll try get it off by taking out the vents.

Mike, Did you have to take that front panel off to get at the screws too??

byte

You shouldnt need to remove front panel, just remove the vents to get at the 2 screws, which I THINK hold both. I haven't my Haynes beside me at the moment.

I dont think so, I remember taking off the unit and detaching the plug so I could takle the whole thing away from the dash area. The following morning
    I tried to start the car but could'nt until it was reconnected. I very much doubt I would have used the car with the heater half disassembled on a freezing january morning at 6 am. So I am certain that I did'nt have to remove any of the front panel. (hope you can follow that!)

Mike.

ps have you considered buying a Haynes workshop manual? Well worth 25 euro.

edit! Byte ya beat me to it! :D

• Advertisement
    byte

I have referred to my mate, Haynes

Yes you MUST remove those screws behind the 2 top vents.

To remove vents:
    Point downwards. Prise top with screwdriver (use card to avoid scraping dash). Then stick a flat screwdriver near the edges and prise (gently now) until they are free from their retaining joints!

They are the only 2 screws holding the Clock Display. The cable can apparently be disconnected to make the bulbs easier to access.

The Haynes manual does have wee pictures to make it easy but that should get ya sorted anyways! :)

Thats excellent, Thanks a lot for your help. Im certainly gonna invest in that Haynes manual. Ive a punto too (My gf and me share the 2 cars) so I might get the manual for that too, they sound well worth it.

I'll get the new bulbs first and then go play with it tomorrow evenin.
    Thanks again!!

Advertisement