Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU/boards meet up?

Options
  • 11-09-2004 12:34am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For all the first years? And some of the older years?

We could meet up, and they could show us around. Show us the bar...Or whatever. lol.

What do people think??

Most of us start on the 21st/20th? Right?

What yis be thinking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

as long as its not during orientation week i'll probably be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

The 1st years have orientation week starting the 20th, the rest of us start back on the 27th.
    So by the time all the older guys get there you'll be well aquainted with the place.

As regards the bar, you sign up for bar membership at registration in the library and it's marked on your student card. Before registration you have to show garda ID. It's been reasonably strict this last year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

/me hopes passport will do, as I aint got Garda Id yet.

Ok so, tis a first year only meet up during oirentaion week.

Then maybe one at the soc&clubs day. I think its th 6th or the 7th of oct. Sound resonable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

yea ill try and make it, just for you Jesjes ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Ah yer too kind. :)

• Advertisement

I guess I could try and manage it :)
    Clubs and socs day is usually on the wednesday of the 3rd week. The first week starting the 27th.

Edit: Don't hold me to that though!!

Afaik it's the 6th or 7th of oct. It says it in the thingy they sent out. I'll check it later and confirm for everyone. :D

Probably the 6th then. Seems early. Must make myself more accepting of change!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'll be there 21st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

21st-23rd then starting proper 27th

{EDIT} the poor smelly man aint 18 till january!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Die someone da Alcohol!?

Im not fruink but im getting there!

MorepleasE12

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Winters wrote:
    Die someone da Alcohol!?

Im not fruink but im getting there!

MorepleasE12

Lay off the white spirts winters ;)

So two diffrent meet ups?

One on for first yaers between 21-23rd, and then one on the soc&clubs day for everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

what winters said tbh.

Humm ... didnt know I had done that last night.

Gotta love alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

I'm up for both meetups, I'm around on the 20th-22nd for orientation week.

Okay, cool. Is everyone legal? That way we can meet up in the pub. Or is there somewhere obvious that someone can recommened?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Pub's a bad idea cause you can't get in unless you're a registered student and a member.

So only those who have registered will get in. Though I guess last years membership is still valid. But still I'm sure not everyone's registering on the first day of orientation week? Or whenever they register. I don't remember anymore!

Before you register you can get in by showing ID. After week 2 you'll probably have to be signed in by a member of the bar (if you havn't signed up obviously) and you'll have to show ID aswell.
    If you're returning for another year they'll let you in with last years student card.
    Membership of the bar is shown on the student card by a red 'y' at the bottom of the front. Last year I think it cost €10 to join.

There's 2 bars, the alpha and the beta bar denoted above the doorsby their respective greek symbols. The alpha (old) bar usually will have a guy on the door but the beta (new) bar tends to be open entry as it runs a carvery aswell (which is quite good, better than the canteen). This might not be the situation in the first few weeks though as it's a prime time for the guards to be comin around checking for under age drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Not legal, so that's me out.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Raz wrote:
    Before you register you can get in by showing ID. After week 2 you'll probably have to be signed in by a member of the bar (if you havn't signed up obviously) and you'll have to show ID aswell.

DCU students cannot be signed in. If you're a DCU student you must be a member to get it.

I've signed in DCU students before. Are you positive you're not meant to?

halenger wrote:
    DCU students cannot be signed in. If you're a DCU student you must be a member to get it.
    how are they going to know?

They will have to look at your Student ID and look for the Y.

I have the Y.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I think you have to be a student of some type to be signed in. That means having a Student ID of some sort.....Not many people are gonna have a fake made up of a different college. If you're gonna go to that trouble ya may aswell get a DCU one made with the "Y".

what i mean't is how are they going to know the person you're signing in is a dcu student unless you tell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

phreak wrote:
    what i mean't is how are they going to know the person you're signing in is a dcu student unless you tell them?

You keep raging against that machine dave!!!

Para||eL wrote:
    You keep raging against that machine dave!!!
    i'll try my best keith.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭spoon

we should throw a wee get together in vg79... dunno who's there, but im sure they wont disagree.

• Advertisement

Ah we'll arrange it for outside of a pub, don't wanna be excluding people.

Advertisement