Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unlocking a super locked 2600+ xp barton

Options
  • 11-09-2004 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

I have recently bought an athlon 2600 xp hoping to oc it to a 3200. Me thinking i coudl save myself around €100. I boot it up, check everything in bios is ok, then i boot to windows. everything is fine. so i think then i want to oc it. Thats when the fun happens, the system wont even post if i bump the fsb up by even 10mhz, so i tried lower and lower. even by 1mhz it booted into windows but the cpu was so unstable, windows just crashed. so i have to leave the cpu at the standard 166mhz fsb. I found out that amd have super locked the core. is there a way around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

What motherboard do you have? What Ram do you have?

There really isint anyway to unlock the super locked chips for most motherboards. There is a way that works on VIA and SIS chipset ones but TBH its more hassle than its worth....... really getting a mobile chip in the first place saves you so much bother and gives better results.

What are your temps like? Theres no way a CPU or system should be unstable 1mhz over stock, give full details of your system including cooling\temps\PSU and we might be able to see the problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

ok i have a jet 7+ by coolermaster cooling the cpu, and abit kv7 mobo with via chipset, 256mb pc 3200 soon to be 512, geforce fx 5600, and i got 4 case fans, sys temp is usually around 52 and cpu is around 43, i usually keep the case fans and cpu fan on low speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Rite one problem is your motherboard doesent have an AGP/PCI lock which means when you overclock by the FSB you are also overclocking your GFX/HD/PCI which tends to give out before your CPU will .......

Using FSB you should be ok up to ~180mhz, after that hard drives will get corrupted (mabye a little before depending on brands/luck). I think the KV7 is a KT600 motherboard which means it supports 400FSB (200mhz X2).......

Your cooling is good, your Ram should be fine......... what voltages are you using, ie check MBM / Hardware doctor for actual voltages as Abit tend to under volt. You might just be giving the CPU too little voltage.

i cant tell u the voltages right now, my amd pc is at my other house. but i remember upping the voltages before and it still gave the same problems. that same board oc'd an 850mhz duron to 1.04ghz with no problems before. and the temp was roughly 45 degrees. any way of locking agp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Kovachy

How is the graphics card working heard bad things about it.The gain you would get from oc your processor would be minimal unless you were encoding a lot of media continously.

• Advertisement

the graphics card runs really well, plays doom3 no prob with a decent frame rate. i want to oc my cpu for that little bit extra in games like farcry and doom3, and to get some extra value out of the cpu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

same thing happened 2 me but a quick reset of the bios fixed that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

an see everyone im not crazy a 5600 can be a good buy!
    Upgrade more often and still save money :D

by reseting the bios whci do u mean? clearing the cmos or flashing the bios and updating it, because if u mean the first i have flashed the bios a few times because of the cpu's response and it hasnt changed anything.

Advertisement