Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD/BOARDS. "meeting"

• 11-09-2004 12:58am
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭

now we have a forum for all 3 college's,
    perhaps a little boards meating in the pav one day during fresser's week might not be a bad idea?

DCU forum are getting one around, perhaps a TCD one might be a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I agree, freshers week u say? That be the 3rd til the 8th? Ain't it a bit early? I mean this forum has only really started.. Though when it happens what say we do the geeky thing and wear badges with our usernames on them eh.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

yeah sounds good, though freshers week does sound early...and due to some of us not being freshers we may not be around...

And name tags, sure yeah if u never wanna go drink'n in the pav again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Name tags eh? hrmmm might even wear my pocket protector then, dont want any nasty pen marks there! :P

or we could just set up a TCD forum gallery and stick it in photopost if DeV or Ecksor would allow it, saving time and making sure we don't seem like complete dickheads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

or we could just arrange to meet outside and introduce ourselves before we go to the bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

i wouldnt mind doin that :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

agreed! perhaps freshers week might be a tad too early,

altho i would suggest a weeknight evening, so the place isnt jammers and all....

plus the pav has a HUGH smoking section!

hugh? its got none...the whole law n all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I think he's talking about the patio outside

well that'll be ****e fairly soon with rain, i was just going on the assumption that he may have not been in there since the somking ban. And previous to that 2/3+ of the pav was smoking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Freshers week is grand with moi, but don't hold me to anything. Btw don't buy anything on tap in the PAv

• Advertisement

aye, learnt that lesson long time ago. actually it was when my sister was graduating and my parents decided they wanted to go to the pav and see where my sister had wasted her years. very disturbing. dad asked if they had any chardonnay. gave the guy a five euro tip. I downed a very bad pint and then buggered off while my dad abused the people playing softball because "they're ****! look at that guy he's the ****test of them all!" and so on and so forth. mottot of the story - never have a sibling graduate :p

Boston wrote:
    Btw don't buy anything on tap in the PAv

how come? sorry i know im young and naeive lol!
    can i come to the meeting? i know ive only been a member here for a while tho. so its ok if its all just regualars i dont mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

I'm going to guess the meeting will be something like

"Hello, I'm from the internet"
    "Alright"
    "Lets drink"

how come? sorry i know im young and naeive lol!
    can i come to the meeting? i know ive only been a member here for a while tho. so its ok if its all just regualars i dont mind!

Well this would be the First TCD Boards beers, so its not like there are regulars. Most of the alcohol sold in the Pav is in can forum, as a results barrels are open in the PAv and last longer then is usual. This makes for a really piss poor pint on tap, especially stout. That and hte fact they never clean the bloody pipes.

Yeah, every pint of lager i've had in there tastes quite off tbh. just plain not right. and though i do much prefer keg to can, i'll lump for a can in there any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I'm going to guess the meeting will be something like

"Hello, I'm from the internet"
    "Alright"
    "Lets drink"
    lol....true!

I'm all for the meeting though, I think there are less than 10 people from my secondary school going to Trinity (not entirely a bad thing) so I'll be kinda lonely/lost there for the first day or two before I figure out whats going on.

I'm all for the meeting though, I think there are less than 10 people from my secondary school going to Trinity (not entirely a bad thing) so I'll be kinda lonely/lost there for the first day or two before I figure out whats going on.

I found its better not to know anyone when you join a college. Not that you abandon your home friends, but having gone to a college not knowing too many people in the beginning, because it acts as an excuse not to get to know more people. Ok, it does depend on the person, but at the same time the scenario i've just mentioned has happened to some of my other friends, and it hit them badly when they did repeats and didn't know anyone to get notes off them.

So advice? Don't ditch your old friends but don't latch onto them completely either!

crash_000 wrote:
    Yeah, every pint of lager i've had in there tastes quite off tbh. just plain not right. and though i do much prefer keg to can, i'll lump for a can in there any day.

Personally it's straight to hard spirits for Moi, as I don't touch cans either. (maybe the odd time)

yeah, spirits the only way to go, 3 x quadruple sam bucha's tend to get me in a good mood...

• Advertisement

christ, I did htat myself once, and only once, can't stand it anymore.

So any ideas on Date for htis little get together. Freshers week shouldn't be a problem, as it wasn't that packed last year.

Well I'm not in for registration until Friday at 5pm or something... talk about kicking TP to the end of the line however I'm going to go in Monday just to see whats going on/sign up for some societies. I'd say Monday or Tuesday is best just so everyone will have someone to meet with kinda similar interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

I found its better not to know anyone when you join a college. Not that you abandon your home friends, but having gone to a college not knowing too many people in the beginning, because it acts as an excuse not to get to know more people. Ok, it does depend on the person, but at the same time the scenario i've just mentioned has happened to some of my other friends, and it hit them badly when they did repeats and didn't know anyone to get notes off them.

Also try to get to know loadsa different people on your course. I noticed last year (Im going into 2nd yr now) that people just hung around with others they met in the first few weeks, or if they were in tutorials together, etc. In other words mingle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Sounds like a bit of fun, if it's organised I might go in...

Also try to get to know loadsa different people on your course. I noticed last year (Im going into 2nd yr now) that people just hung around with others they met in the first few weeks, or if they were in tutorials together, etc. In other words mingle!
    tends to happen in first year, though class is quite a bit more mingled after second yr...tho the year ahead of us apparently just polarised even further in 2nd yr...

And yeah good ole reg on friday at 5pm, i remember that, tho u should have an orientation lecture before then....twas the tuesday in my year if i recall. And anyway 5pm is kinda when all the straggler courses go in on the fri, better than being around the same time as sci/eng/someartscourse have reg, mad que then...

Hehe i have my reg on thursday at 9/15-10.00. unfortunately the previous night is my debs so i should have an ....interesting ID card photo.

meh those times r only really a guide if i recall, anyway ur supposed to look ****e might aswell have an excuse for it

crash_000 wrote:
    Hehe i have my reg on thursday at 9/15-10.00. unfortunately the previous night is my debs so i should have an ....interesting ID card photo.

O how you laughted at my ID photo outside hte pub that night, o how you laughted. Well now the tables turned mister muhaa haa haa

i dont have reg til thursday either, but yet ive got a faculty meeting on monday. so i presume i can come in all the days in between??
    my debs is the end of oct, and theres no way im taking any of the knobs i know, what are my chances of meeeting someone i could bring.....pretty slim? oh im so screwed!! :confused:

oh precariousnuts, whered ya go to secondary school?

• Advertisement

my debs is the end of oct, and theres no way im taking any of the knobs i know, what are my chances of meeeting someone i could bring.....pretty slim? oh im so screwed!!

Throw up a request on eBay RuggerChick, you're bound to get someone who's not a maniac.

Seriously, though, because of T-Balls, B€$$ balls, Eng Balls, Science Balls, Strauss Balls, and I don't know how many other balls, there would be plenty of students who would happen to have a tux lying around...

Advertisement