Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clubs and Socs in DCU

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Chipstick

TKD is open to beginners all the time, mon 6-7 wed 34 both in the main hall! go for it it's well balanced in all the stuff you need, ie training fun and tkd itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nun robber

hmmmmm three pages of this and no mention of dcu snowboarding, frankly guys i'm a little hurt :P
    if you really want to try something random during your stay here check us out on clubs and socs day
    http://www.dcusnowboarding.com
    we do happen to be dcu's best club and ireland's largest snowboarding community, quite how that happened seeing as we're constantly drunk escapes me but i ain't complaining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I remain to be convinced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Any idea on a Photography club? i didnt spy them last year and they dont seem to be listed where ive checkd.

Eh ... Photo Soc?

They had a big photography display in the Seminar Room in the Hub last year that I went to. You probably just missed them.

Amz wrote:
    Eh ... Photo Soc?

They had a big photography display in the Seminar Room in the Hub last year that I went to. You probably just missed them.
    Silly me... my clubs and socs day last year comprised of running in, joining redbrick, getting cajoled into joining japanese soc and then being lured to karting soc and running to class. Must spend mroe time there this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

nun robber wrote:
    hmmmmm three pages of this and no mention of dcu snowboarding, frankly guys i'm a little hurt :P
    if you really want to try something random during your stay here check us out on clubs and socs day
    http://www.dcusnowboarding.com
    we do happen to be dcu's best club and ireland's largest snowboarding community, quite how that happened seeing as we're constantly drunk escapes me but i ain't complaining
    What do they do every week? Get together and imagine they're snowboarding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Was just thinking the same thing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Ultimate Frisbee!!

best club ever!! great people, great fun and a really great game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Snowboarding:

You start of with lessons for four weeks at Kiltiernan dry slope until you get your rider pass then you can go up and use the slope whenever. It's really good actually and it was the only club last year that I was in that was active

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

Join the Canoe club
    Heres their website
    Its the best college canoe club in ireland(intervarsities winners for the last 2 years).
    Any questions just post up on the forum
    There is a joint canoe club/snowboarding freshers night out happening thursday night in town as well

Joined Foto Soc (hooray), Redbrick (predictable) and Anime & Manga Soc (hi Ross)... the Gamesoc guy was damn persuasive but i fended him off, then stole chocolate from the Media guys. I love Clubs & Socs day... so many stories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

Rhyme wrote:
    Joined Foto Soc (hooray), Redbrick (predictable) and Anime & Manga Soc (hi Ross)... the Gamesoc guy was damn persuasive but i fended him off, then stole chocolate from the Media guys. I love Clubs & Socs day... so many stories
    What's it like this year, many people there? Did you go upstairs at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

markpb wrote:
    God, I forgot there was more stuff upstairs.
    I also forgot it was Clubs and socs day, so I only had 3.35 in change with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Is it €4 per club/soc again this year?

• Advertisement

Yes.

markpb wrote:
    Jam packed for most of the day... had trouble moving around, downstairs was mercifully clear... i never ventured upstairs, never knew anything was up there. Tomorrow is another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 johnniekewl

i have been sick the past week and i missed the clubs and socs day today and i will probably miss it again tomorrow, can i still join the clubs after this week?

Yep, just head up to the Students Union and you whenever you get back to DCU and you should be able to join whichever club, or society you want to. It'll still cost you €4 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

yeah just go to the clubs and socs assistant in the clubs and socs office upstairs in the hub and they'll join ya up.

• Advertisement

and ya'll need to bring your student card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 johnniekewl

have i missed anything good?

Nah, nothing worth writing home about :) You'll just miss out on the lollipops and other sweeties/free drinks that people give out to entice you, but for some clubs and socs if you just let them know your situation after you join they'll probably be able to furnish you with anything you've missed i.e. membership cards, discount cards etc. that all their members receive.

not really... just a lot of ass kissing, people promising the earth moon and stars for you to part with your €4! karting are doing well, think they've 160 members in one day! dunno bout anyone else. the SCC are giving away free club energise, but its the blue one which tastes rotton. i managed to steal, i mean obtain a few bottles of the orange, which was nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Hey,
    Yeah I love clubs and socs days!
    Im on MPS committee so join Media Production Society, for all your DCU FM and DCU TV needs..
    Joined redbrick, swimming, athletics, badminton and of course MPS.
    Our stand is down at the front of the stage, we've excellent events lined up for the year.
    All the chocs and sweets eaten today, just feel sick now!
    All again tomorrow.

Liz
    DCU fm Tech officer
    My website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

I alway though the hub was a terrible place for having the clubs and socs day.
    Its far too packed and people cant comfortably discuss the different clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

red vex wrote:
    I alway though the hub was a terrible place for having the clubs and socs day. Its far too packed and people cant comfortably discuss the different clubs.

It was held in the two main halls of the sports complex until a few years ago. I don't remember why it was moved, I think it cost several thousand euro to rent the hall and carpet the floor for the day. I'm sure there were other reasons too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

lizanne83 wrote:
    Hey,
    Yeah I love clubs and socs days!
    Im on MPS committee so join Media Production Society, for all your DCU FM and DCU TV needs..
    Joined redbrick, swimming, athletics, badminton and of course MPS.
    Our stand is down at the front of the stage, we've excellent events lined up for the year.
    All the chocs and sweets eaten today, just feel sick now!
    All again tomorrow.

Liz
    DCU fm Tech officer
    My website
    [/url.]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Well I was on redbrick duty all day, generally been in the hub and annoying people until they join. I joined the usual ridiculous amount of socs. I got free redbrick membership(yay) and also joined pokersoc, karting, mps, trampolining and my weird ones where debating and ecomonsoc. I enjoyed it as ever but would be nice if it was moved to bigger area. I feel penned in at times.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

red vex wrote:
    I alway though the hub was a terrible place for having the clubs and socs day.
    Its far too packed and people cant comfortably discuss the different clubs.
    I happened to be in Trinners the other day and theirs was outside, that was cool, weather being the difficulty.

I thought it went really well. I joined 8 last year, and only two this year. Redbrick and Archery, oh an dCummann Gaelach I guess, though I havent paid them yet.

Some great stands. Love C&S Dayz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Down in the venue isn't too bad, but the corridor, the corridor! /me weeps. I kept getting cracked in the head by papier-mache drama soc people.
    And now that todays over, I officially joined nothing.

Crucifix wrote:
    Down in the venue isn't too bad, but the corridor, the corridor! /me weeps. I kept getting cracked in the head by papier-mache drama soc people.
    And now that todays over, I officially joined nothing.
    Those guys creeped the hell out of me, especially when they went outside and started crying loudly... very very scary, just remember that you can join a club and/or anytime you want... i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I have to say An Cumann Gaelich did really well this year, there posters where very funny and the girls at the stand where dressed rather nicely. Great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

rugbug86 wrote:
    the SCC are giving away free club energise, but its the blue one which tastes rotton

Hehe, the spar across the road is selling them for 2 for €1 :) Might want to check the date. The sold of a ton of BPM last year, one of the guys I work with got 10 of them for €4. After he seen the date he just stacked them up on his desk. He did drink one bottle and got insanely hyper.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

Rhyme wrote:
    just remember that you can join a club and/or anytime you want... i think

This is true, although it's better to join in the two days, issue with getting funds off the scc for members that join outside this time AFAIK...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Zem

i was on one of the stands during clubs and socs days so only joined 3 other things but the club didn't do too bad even if we weren't in the most ideal position in the hub. i wanted to join archery but never got a chance, sent an email to see if i can join later.

Does anyone else who's running a club wish that the deadline for the Grant App was slightly farther away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Mantel wrote:
    Hehe, the spar across the road is selling them for 2 for €1 :) Might want to check the date. The sold of a ton of BPM last year, one of the guys I work with got 10 of them for €4. After he seen the date he just stacked them up on his desk. He did drink one bottle and got insanely hyper.
    That happened to me after I drank my first bottle of it. Trouble was I was in a major study area surrounded by hundreds of quietly studying ppl a few weeks from their exams! I remember I had to go for a long walk to calm down - great stuff altogether :D

Oh yeah I wanted to join the Japanese soc this year, but they were gone when I got in on Thurs, and seem to be lacking a website/email address/ any sorta contact details! If I go up to the lady in the the socities office to join there will she put me on their mailing list for events, or should I try and contact them some other way?

blondie83 wrote:
    Oh yeah I wanted to join the Japanese soc this year, but they were gone when I got in on Thurs, and seem to be lacking a website/email address/ any sorta contact details! If I go up to the lady in the the socities office to join there will she put me on their mailing list for events, or should I try and contact them some other way?
    I joined them last year and they did nothing... just took my €4 and disappeared, had the cheek to turn up again this year. You'd do much better to join the Anime and Manga Society... they actually exist after Clubs & Socs day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 rayfitz

Alrite all,
    I was doin a bit on the poker stand for the 2 days and we did really well in only our first full year. We got 341 lucky people to become members makin us the 7th biggest club/soc in terms of numbers. Shows how popular the game has become. I also joined pool/snooker, celtic supporters, snowboarding and economics. Don't miss the first poker tournament of the year on tuesday!

Ray (Pokersoc PRO)
    www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~pokersoc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

ahhhhh who the hell was that thing at the drama stand?!?! sorry but that gave me nightmares. any one know what im on about.

i shouldnt throw stones
    but i do know what you're talking about

He's talking about the 2 guys dressed up in the giant costumes, you're clearly just making a snide comment about someone.

my bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

sure he is....

Amz wrote:
    He's talking about the 2 guys dressed up in the giant costumes, you're clearly just making a snide comment about someone.

dont think he was, and those giant costumes were all over campus

• Advertisement

There's still no need for you to be snide about someone who uses this forum.

People in glass houses and all that ...

exactly, people in glass houses SHOULDN'T throw stones

The mind boggles.

thats the beauty of it all

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

Rhyme wrote:
    I joined them last year and they did nothing... just took my €4 and disappeared, had the cheek to turn up again this year. You'd do much better to join the Anime and Manga Society... they actually exist after Clubs & Socs day

Well they didn't really have "the cheek to show up again"as such, since the people who ran the society last year are now on their year abroad in Japan, so this year it's being run by different people who were pretty much as annoyed as you by the fact that last years people did nothing.

As for joining the Anime and Manga Society instead... if what you're interested in is just watching a few anime shows a week, then yeah, you'd be much better off with them, since I'm fairly sure the Japanese society haven't really got any intention of showing much anime.

I totally agree with you about the guys that ran the Japanese society last year though. They must have organised about 3 things at most throughout the whole year(I think there was a fourth event but when people showed up they were told to go home because the guy who's apartment it was in hadn't been informed....) So yeah, they sucked, this years people are making assurances that they'll be making much more of an effort though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement