Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Years and 77,000 bodies later

Options
  • 11-09-2004 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Well I'm sure anyone that has risen today and looked at a calendar has thought of the Twin Towers being devastated this day 3 years ago.

3 years on and Osama Bin Laden is still at large and his Al Queda terrorist group is still killing. I remember sitting in a bar watching Sky News as the events unfolded on that day and thinking how so many people had lost their lives. The official figures state that 2752 people died as a result of the attack on the World Trade Center on 9/11/01.

The US have since invaded Afghanistan and Iraq and estimated figures put the current death toll for both areas at 75,000 collectively. Thats more than 27 times the number of people that died on 9/11. However of the the brave men that the US have sent to Iraq 1000 have died. The US refused to release official figures for the number of Soldiers killed in Afghanistan however is estimated that it also nears a 1000.

My question is with 75,000* Iraqi's and Afghanistan's dead along with nearly 2000* US Soldiers is the US a Safer place???
    * estimated Figures only

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

simple answer...no

I remember when i heard about the 2 towers it felt wierd because I was so cold about it. I didnt think about the lives of the people I just thought. *If Islamic terrorists did that we are in for a whole lot of war it'll be Navy Seals in reality.* I still feel wierd over that because I want to sympathise for the loss of life but when I think of Iraq and the build up to the war i cant help but feel that 9/11 has changed in its impact far too much over the space of 3 years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

daveirl wrote:

Bullcrap.

US isn't anymore safe then it was then. So they can't get airplanes, which TBH isn't really true because it has been shown massive lapses in security. But terrorism is about changing peoples ways of lives. Which AQ (through the help of Bush) seem to be doing fine.

Currently the death toll is 5 non US people for every 1 US person killed in the name of 9/11 (this includes Iraq which Bush claimed had something to do with it). Not sure of the toll on wounded but it is much higher. At what point is it enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭shiv

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    simple answer...no

I remember when i heard about the 2 towers it felt wierd because I was so cold about it. I didnt think about the lives of the people I just thought. *If Islamic terrorists did that we are in for a whole lot of war it'll be Navy Seals in reality.* I still feel wierd over that because I want to sympathise for the loss of life but when I think of Iraq and the build up to the war i cant help but feel that 9/11 has changed in its impact far too much over the space of 3 years...

I think you have to remember the mass loss of life, if nothing else, and forget all the periphery of terrorism and the domino-effect of retribution that's taken place since. i was listening to my ani difranco cd today, and some of her lyrics in "Self-Evident" (inspired by the WTC disaster)still really strike me as hitting the nail on the head:

and the shock was subsonic
    and the smoke was deafening
    between the setup and the punch line
    cuz we were all on time for work that day
    we all boarded that plane for to fly
    and then while the fires were raging
    we all climbed up on the windowsill
    and then we all held hands
    and jumped into the sky

and every borough looked up when it heard the first blast
    and then every dumb action movie was summarily surpassed
    and the exodus uptown by foot and motorcar
    looked more like war than anything i've seen so far
    so far
    so far
    so fierce and ingenious
    a poetic specter so far gone
    that every jackass newscaster was struck dumb and stumbling
    over 'oh my god' and 'this is unbelievable' and on and on
    and i'll tell you what, while we're at it
    you can keep the pentagon
    keep the propaganda
    keep each and every tv
    that's been trying to convince me
    to participate
    in some prep school punk's plan to perpetuate retribution
    perpetuate retribution
    even as the blue toxic smoke of our lesson in retribution
    is still hanging in the air
    and there's ash on our shoes
    and there's ash in our hair
    and there's a fine silt on every mantle
    from hell's kitchen to brooklyn
    and the streets are full of stories
    sudden twists and near misses
    and soon every open bar is crammed to the rafters
    with tales of narrowly averted disasters
    and the whiskey is flowin
    like never before
    as all over the country
    folks just shake their heads
    and pour

so here's a toast to all the folks who live in palestine
    afghanistan
    iraq

cuz take away our playstations
    and we are a third world nation
    under the thumb of some blue blood royal son
    who stole the oval office and that phony election
    i mean
    it don't take a weatherman
    to look around and see the weather
    jeb said he'd deliver florida, folks
    and boy did he ever

and we hold these truths to be self evident:
    #1 george w. bush is not president
    #2 america is not a true democracy
    #3 the media is not fooling me

so it's time to pick through the rubble, clean the streets
    and clear the air
    get our government to pull its big dick out of the sand
    of someone else's desert
    put it back in its pants
    and quit the hypocritical chants of
    freedom forever

cuz when one lone phone rang
    in two thousand and one
    at ten after nine
    on nine one one
    which is the number we all called
    when that lone phone rang right off the wall
    right off our desk and down the long hall
    down the long stairs
    in a building so tall
    that the whole world turned
    just to watch it fall

and while we're at it
    remember the first time around?
    the bomb?
    the ryder truck?
    the parking garage?
    the princess that didn't even feel the pea?
    remember joking around in our apartment on avenue D?

can you imagine how many paper coffee cups would have to change their design
    following a fantastical reversal of the new york skyline?!

it was a joke, of course
    it was a joke
    at the time
    and that was just a few years ago
    so let the record show
    that the FBI was all over that case
    that the plot was obvious and in everybody's face
    and scoping that scene
    religiously
    the CIA
    or is it KGB?
    committing countless crimes against humanity
    with this kind of eventuality
    as its excuse
    for abuse after expensive abuse
    and it didn't have a clue
    look, another window to see through
    way up here
    on the 104th floor
    look
    another key
    another door
    10% literal
    90% metaphor
    3000 some poems disguised as people
    on an almost too perfect day
    should be more than pawns
    in some asshole's passion play
    so now it's your job
    and it's my job
    to make it that way
    to make sure they didn't die in vain
    sshhhhhh....
    baby listen
    hear the train?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

irish1 wrote:
    The US refused to release official figures for the number of Soldiers killed in Afghanistan however is estimated that it also nears a 1000.

Sorry, what? Whose estimate is that? Because it sounds kinda crazy.

As for the US being a safer place, maybe, but the world certainly isn't. In reality there is no War on Terror; a real war on terror would not have included a war against Iraq, since regardless of the merits of overthrowing Saddam it was clear that invading and occupying Iraq, with all the loss of innocent life that involved, would increase support for anti-Western Islamic fundamentalists.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

shotamoose wrote:
    Sorry, what? Whose estimate is that? Because it sounds kinda crazy.

As for the US being a safer place, maybe, but the world certainly isn't. In reality there is no War on Terror; a real war on terror would not have included a war against Iraq, since regardless of the merits of overthrowing Saddam it was clear that invading and occupying Iraq, with all the loss of innocent life that involved, would increase support for anti-Western Islamic fundamentalists.
    Just a quick google, I agree it does sound a bit high but I did say it was only an estimate. The 1000 figure for Iraq is accpted by the US do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ShortAmerican

heres the true answer. i live in the us, we are a safer place, we didnt go to war to defeat the terrorists or to find osama. we went to war to keep the war away from us. with all focus on terrorists cell overseas (for me) alqaeda is more worried about staying afloat. is this a valid reason for war. i thinks so, keep the damn guerillas away from us. the most thats ,made me feel safer in the us is the over policing and miltarization of police hear. its come to the point where the rnc had police with machine guns.. also keep in mind the president and his advisors know sooooooo much more than we do, you just have to assume this in our country, we must assume the real reasons he's fighting this war are confidential. who knows better about going to war, top military strategist with all the FBI,cia,and nsa information or a man from ireland whos only infromation source is Sky news, very indoctrinated liberal news, and the internet which is not to be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

a man from ireland whos only infromation source is Sky news, very indoctrinated liberal news, and the internet which is not to be trusted.

LOL the only reference I made to Sky News was that I was watching it on 9/11, and I'd trust the internet before I'd trust Mr Bush. I offered the stats as estimates not facts, so you can climb back down off that high horse :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I've posted this before but it's relevant

How to Lose the War on Terror

Basically this CIA officer says Bush did Osama a huge favour by invading Iraq

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

heres the true answer. i live in the us, we are a safer place, we didnt go to war to defeat the terrorists or to find osama. we went to war to keep the war away from us. with all focus on terrorists cell overseas (for me) alqaeda is more worried about staying afloat. is this a valid reason for war. i thinks so, keep the damn guerillas away from us. the most thats ,made me feel safer in the us is the over policing and miltarization of police hear. its come to the point where the rnc had police with machine guns.. also keep in mind the president and his advisors know sooooooo much more than we do, you just have to assume this in our country, we must assume the real reasons he's fighting this war are confidential. who knows better about going to war, top military strategist with all the FBI,cia,and nsa information or a man from ireland whos only infromation source is Sky news, very indoctrinated liberal news, and the internet which is not to be trusted.

While your arguement is a good one the problem with your arguement is that it is based on one simple assumption.

This assumption is that the "president and his advisors" and these "top military strategists", the "fbi" "cia" "nsa" and the men in charge of making the decisions at the end of the day have your/america's best intersts at heart.

This assumption is the falacy. The evidence seems to show that the only intersts they care about are their own, and their only motivation is their own greed for greater wealth and power.

The only indoctrination I'm affraid is the blindfolding and brainwashing of people such as yourself throughout the US. And in this their propaganda machine has been unquestionably successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

Is America safer? No.

One very simple reason would be that the death toll in Iraq will do nothing to stop people from joining the fight against the US. I'll explain it simply for shortamerican's benefit.
    Say over 10000 people have been killed in Iraq. Say you were an Iraqi. Say a member of your family, or a close friend was killed by an indescrimiate American bomb, would you think "oh it's necessary - the Americans are just freeing us". Or would you go to the local 'freedom fighters' and take up arms? While that may be an extreme example, you have to take the other sides perspective into account. You have to understand that a lot of these people don't have anything to look forward to in later life, hence see no reason NOT to fight. Unlike you who's able to stay at home while the soldiers die in iraq in order to "keep the war away" from you. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

adjodlo wrote:
    Unlike you who's able to stay at home while the soldiers die in iraq in order to "keep the war away" from you. :rolleyes:
    In fairness, his profile says he's only 15 so he's got a couple of years to go before he can have the chance to get various bits blown off for the benefit of the richest 1% in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

daveirl wrote:

Actually, the only way its not safer is if the increased security combined with the change in likelihood of backlash against the US for the actions it has taken yield a net decrease in security.

I'm not saying that the net result is more or less security....just that its not as simple as saying "they've spent more on security, ergo it is more secure".

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

we didnt go to war to defeat the terrorists or to find osama. we went to war to keep the war away from us. with all focus on terrorists cell overseas (for me) alqaeda is more worried about staying afloat. is this a valid reason for war. i thinks so, keep the damn guerillas away from us.

Yup...it lets someone else bear the "collateral damage" for the struggle instead.

Do you think this might have anything to do with why world opinion of the US has worsened? That they see that the US way of dealing with a problem is not to try and resolve it necessarily, but to ensure that someone else suffers intead of their own people?

Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying here? Because when you say "keep it away from us", I hear "and put it on someone else" alongside it.

jc

heres the true answer. i live in the us, we are a safer place,

No your not. You know that to die in a terrorist attack vs other ways to die in the US it is tiny. A metor strike is more likely.

You are more likely to die from a car crash or being shot then a terrorist attack. Heck, you have more chance of getting cancer from smoking.
    we went to war to keep the war away from us.

Who is us? The US? You do know that 1000 Americans have died "keeping the war away". That is almost half of who have died on that day. Do you think those people who are in the other countries are going to sit around and accept it? Do you think you can stop invading or will you have to keep US soliders there permantly to keep the war away?
    alqaeda is more worried about staying afloat.

Hardly. If anything AQ has grown thanks to the actions of the US. Also you should understand that it only requires a handful of terrorists. November-17 group who have been known for years as a terrorist group was only a handful of people. They attacked US targets for years (due to the US supporting a Junta, which lead to a large number of students being gunned down).

All the war is doing is breeding more terrorists.
    also keep in mind the president and his advisors know sooooooo much more than we do,

Indeed. Bush himself was handed a document which detailed the 9/11 attacks only a month before the attack took place. But he was too busy enjoying his holiday to read it. Ashcroft was taken off public aircrafts a few months before due to a similar report.
    we must assume the real reasons he's fighting this war are confidential.

No, he is accountable. As would anyone else be. If you or your family were dragged from their beds and kept in a secret location without being charged or allowed contact a lawyer. Would you agree with it?

How about being put under investigation because you question your president? Or his actions? What is that President was a liberal? Would you agree to it then?

Fact is, Bush has seriously profitted from all this. As has his cronies and done massive injustices to US and people worldwide.
    or a man from ireland whos only infromation source is Sky news, very indoctrinated liberal news, and the internet which is not to be trusted.

You think people only watch Sky News? TBH Sky news is just a watered down version of Fox News (which is far from Liberal). So if SkyNews is not to be trusted, then Fox news is not to be trusted? After all they are part of the same company.
    Daveirl wrote:
    Sorry that's not the way I meant it to come across. What I was more going for is that Homeland security is a far higher priority, there are more checks on the borders, more checks at immigration etc, so that's what I meant.

Only more checks if you look like arabic, or muslim, or have a terrorist sounding name. White christan wouldn't have a problem. But then we have never had terrorists in that demographic have we? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ShortAmerican

Memnoch wrote:
    While your arguement is a good one the problem with your arguement is that it is based on one simple assumption.

This assumption is that the "president and his advisors" and these "top military strategists", the "fbi" "cia" "nsa" and the men in charge of making the decisions at the end of the day have your/america's best intersts at heart.

This assumption is the falacy. The evidence seems to show that the only intersts they care about are their own, and their only motivation is their own greed for greater wealth and power.

If a country cant trust its own leaders to use their intelligence correctly than the entire democratic system is a fallacy. we have people voting for a leader we can trust to do our will yet when the day is over you cant trust them, i think your thoughts have little backbone becuz u i N I BOTH NEED to know one thing to really answer this question, what does the president know which we dont? can u prove that al qaeda isnt offering the worlds cure to aids if bush will tarnish the us' image, no u cant, we dont know wats going on behind closed doors, this is hard for an irish man to releizze becuz your government is so small and lacks a true miltary. with power comes knowledge, with knowledge comes power, if the us gives away these secrets we only empower our enemies to be stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

can u prove that al qaeda isnt offering the worlds cure to aids if bush will tarnish the us' image, no u cant, we dont know wats going on behind closed doors, this is hard for an irish man to releizze becuz your government is so small and lacks a true miltary. with power comes knowledge, with knowledge comes power, if the us gives away these secrets we only empower our enemies to be stronger.
    :rolleyes:
    ..it's in the breeding.
    btw..knowledge is power and power corrupts (absolute power corrupts absolutely)
    Our government couldn't be any smaller than any other small people (short americans), if your referring to the world stage, if you look a tad closer you might find they do actually have positions of authority within the EU (and former president was elected high commisoner for human rights for the UN 97-2002)

on topic, I wonder about the children of the 77,000 and the next generation who will have an even greater grudge (and possibly a more justified reason to turn) against the U.S.

will make germany 1945 look like disneyland.
    ..but I hardly care anymore.

• Advertisement

If a country cant trust its own leaders to use their intelligence correctly than the entire democratic system is a fallacy.

How do you come to that conclusion? You do know by the way that the US is not a true democracy?

So explain to me Nixon then?
    we have people voting for a leader we can trust to do our will

It is a representative democracy. It means you don't. But you also fail to mention the number of people who were not allowed vote when they could, dodgy voting machines and finally being voted in by people put into power by his daddy.

Following a leader blindly is extremly dangerous.
    what does the president know which we dont? can u prove that al qaeda isnt offering the worlds cure to aids if bush will tarnish the us' image, no u cant,

What the heck are you talking about? There is numerous sources of information that can tell you about what has happened up to now.

Here is 25 things we know now about 9/11. (and check out the date of the document). Here is a more recent one.
    this is hard for an irish man to releizze becuz your government is so small and lacks a true miltary.

Yea we brains small.. its unpossible to know unless everyone has a gun. :rolleyes:

We don't follow our government blindly. We question what they do. We don't assume because someone got the majority of the vote some how turns them into a saint.

You should study up on what goes on around you and don't just blindly follow like a sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

irish1 wrote:
    3 years on and Osama Bin Laden is still at large and his Al Queda terrorist group is still killing.
    I know these comments are both late in the thread and a little trite but it's worth repeating: Osama bin Laden has probably been dead for some time as he was seriously ill at the time of 9/11 (can you live without your liver in Bora Bora?) and there is no Al Q'aeda organization, there is no cohesive global terrorist network, there are dozens upon dozens of separate organizations and groups all over the place killing people for all kinds of reasons connected with Islam.

That actually makes things much scarier. It also means the methods employed by the US and its allies will do nothing to stop the cycle of violence. Staying home and promoting global development might, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

9.11.01?

What the hell happened on the 9th of November?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

bonkey wrote:
    Actually, the only way its not safer is if the increased security I'm not saying that the net result is more or less security....just that its not as simple as saying "they've spent more on security, ergo it is more secure".
    jc
    Is their homeland not more secure,I mean 3 years now since the last incident?
    Most posters here mightn't like Bush, but leaving that out and looking at the cold clinical statistical facts,there has been no incident in the last 3 years.
    I doubt thats out of pure luck alone...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Most of the new security measures have been done for political reasons, for the look of the thing. They add little or no security, they simply create the /impression/ of better security. One could argue that giving the general public this false sense of security creates more issues that it cures.

The "we haven't been attacked since then" hypothesis is a logic-weak fallacy that's been put about by neo-cons and swallowed hook, line and sinker by people that should really know better. I haven't been hit by a lorry driven by a homicidal maniac in 32 years, it doesn't mean I won't be hit by one tomorrow.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

dahamsta wrote:
    I haven't been hit by a lorry driven by a homicidal maniac in 32 years, it doesn't mean I won't be hit by one tomorrow.

adam
    Thats just plain silly logic.
    Somebody somewhere has been hit by a homicidal maniac in a lorry probably in the U.S but theres been no terrorist incidents there in the last 3 years, thats a significant length of time given that theres lots of islamofacists threatening it more and more in the last 3 years.
    Why have they not suceeded?
    pure bad luck on their part? I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Most posters here mightn't like Bush, but leaving that out and looking at the cold clinical statistical facts,there has been no incident in the last 3 years.

There were no mojor attacks on the US mainland in the 3 years prior to the trade center attacks either,and thats with the lesser security messures in place.

To be honest can anyone find an article detailing the last major terrorist attack on the US mainland before the trade center attacks.(Not counting homegrown terrorist ie.Timmothy McVeigy) I'd say you have to go back pretty far.

Most attacks on US targets are in foriegn countries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

The WTC bombing in 1993.

Advertisement