Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying hi-fi speakers in Dublin

Options
  • 11-09-2004 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I know that this issue is largely dealt with in the 'good place to buy hi fi stuff' sticky but the info there isn't very up to date.
    I need to replace the speakers that I bought some year ago in Hi Fi Corner on the quays but as they and Richer Sounds are no longer with us, I'm a bit stumped. Other than Cloney or Peats, is there anywhere else I can go to? I'm looking for decent stereo speakers in the €300-€500 range and would like to audition them before purchasing.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

You are indeed stumped! Dublin has gone to the pits when it comes to hi-fi stuff. Most companies such as Hi-Fi Corner have got out of retail and gone down the custom install route, operating from an office or industrial unit that doesn't have showrooms, as they don't need it. That's what I'm doing now too, after a few years in hi-fi retail, including Richer Sounds and Lyric Hi-Fi.

Richer Sounds are basically now X-Music, right next door to where they used to be on Wellington Quay. It's a bright green shop, you can't miss it. Ask for Fergal or Conor, both of those guys used to work in Richer Sounds and know their stuff.

If you are serious about getting a proper demo on your speakers, take a day trip up to Belfast and visit Lyric Hi-Fi who have excellent demo rooms and a great selection, and Richer Sounds have a branch up there too.

Other than Cloney and Peats that you mentioned, there isn't anyone else I can think of off the top of my head in Dublin.

Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Toysrus

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, Robbie.
    Isn't it strange that in a time of such (apparent) prosperity, there are so few Hi-Fi shops around to relieve us of our disposable income?
    I thought X-Music only sold DJ kit. Must check them out.
    Was thinking of picking up a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.4s from Peats for €300, as they'd probably do me but have also been considering a day trip to Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I'm not sure if you would consider them a hi-fi emporium but Harvey Norman staff are more than willing to throw the hangers on out of the audition rooms if you are interested in buying somethin specific.

"Dermot" (I think ?!) was extremely helpful to me recently when I bought a pair of Aegis Audio EVO's, Yamaha PS DVD Player and a Mission SUB. I got 50 quid of each straight away even after the sale discount !

ZEN

Advertisement