Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50 cent at Reading - the video! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Why were so many people throwing stuff at him?
    Assholes, if you don't like him, just don't see him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Wow, I guess they don't like his music...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

The Rasmus'(sp?) got a worsererer reception :p

I just think it's pretty bad for the people who did want to see him, that people were booing and throwing stuff at him, and ruining the show.
    They could have gone to see a different band.
    I didn't see anyone get booed and stuff thrown at them at oxegen.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

That's probably because Oxegyn isn't really classed as a rock/metal festival. Most people going to it are more "I listen to a bit of everyrthing" than hardcore into their music. Reading is most definitely a Rock festival and acts like 50 cents do nothing but attract skangers. Granted, alot of people who enjoy their music aren't scumbags but you have to admit that a large proportion of them are. If you don't want the scumbags at a festival dont book these acts.
    MCDs arrival on the mean fiddler scene has obviously influenced the arrival of acts like 50 cents.Wait.....Daphne and Celeste. Oh well. They were more for the comedy value than to cater for any fans who were going anywhere near Reading just to see them.

Given the choice I would definitely lose the dance tent at Oxegyn. It was sad seeing circle pits this year full of skangers who thought there was a fight goin on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

daveirl wrote:
    Nope, acts like Public Enemy Run DMC ADF Jurassic 5 etc have always got great receptions at Reading. It's just that by contrast 50 Cent's music is shall we say a bit too "politically incorrect" for the Reading crowd. Eg "Fat Bitch", "F**k You". It's tory rap, he is in effect the Jim Davidson of hip hop, with a gun, and fully deserves to be bottled offstage imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Nope, acts like Public Enemy Run DMC ADF Jurassic 5 etc have always got great receptions at Reading. It's just that by contrast 50 Cent's music is shall we say a bit too "politically incorrect" for the Reading crowd. Eg "Fat Bitch", "F**k You". It's tory rap, he is in effect the Jim Davidson of hip hop, with a gun, and fully deserves to be bottled offstage imo.

well Public Enemy, Run DMC and Jurassic 5 are from the more old school of rap, 50 Cent is just a thug riding on the coat tails of Dr Dre and Eminem....

anyone know where they could get the Rasmus video? I would cherish that like a child.

flogen

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Excellant thanks for that link redice, people were talkin bout it on the other day and was looking for the link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Redleslie2 wrote:

Yes anyone who displeases the political correctness thought police should not be allowed to express any opinion whatsoever.

(btw I hate Jim Davidson)

pork99 wrote:
    Yes anyone who displeases the political correctness thought police should not be allowed to express any opinion whatsoever.

(btw I hate Jim Davidson)
    The bottom line is that people who pay good money to attend a show should not have to tolerate poor quality acts if they don't want to. They're at a music festival not a debate. If the act is offensively bad then the audience is practically duty bound to let it be known that they disapprove, rather than just stand there like lobotomised cows. That is showbusiness.

Anyway 50 Cent has been shot 9 times (you might have heard) so I think he can survive being hit by a childrens inflatable paddling pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I said it in the other thread about this, but there's nothing more ****ing dispicable than the treatment that 50cent and the Rasmus got at Reading. Don't give me this "it's a rock festival" bull****. It could be a Norwegian Death Metal festival i'd still think the people who threw the bottles were ****ing assholes.

They knew the line up when they bought their ticket, they knew who was going to be playing on the stage before the went there, so it's their own ****ing fault if they don't like the music.

daveirl wrote:

Write a letter. I'm not sure exactly what it would say though... "I don't want rap music played at Reading. Not old school rap, I like that. And I suppose newer bands that are kind of old school is fine too. Just the rap that I don't like."

It's utter bollocks. Look at this years line up at Reading, there's a huge amount of rap and hip hop acts on it. The problem is that they put 50cent up before Green Day, an act that's going to draw a large crowd which will include many young (and yes I do believe that most of the bottle throwers would have been 18 or younger) and opinionated to the point of musical blindness, punks.

Would it be acceptable to bottle the DJs and electonic artists playing the festival too? How about any comedians you don't like?

Nothing you can say can justify to me the manner in which these people voice their protest at the act playing on the stage.

Lodgepole wrote:
    Nothing you can say can justify to me the manner in which these people voice their protest at the act playing on the stage.
    The fact that he bases his career on a ludicrous hardman image (Shot 9 times) and a neanderthal attitude to women (Surrounded By Hoes indeed) is good enough for me.

Maybe he'll write a song about how he cheated death.

Tried playin' Reading England and got jolly well schooled
    Hit by a plastic bottle and a children's paddling pool.

Yeah, there are other stages to go to and other acts to see.

Redleslie2 wrote:
    The fact that he bases his career on a ludicrous hardman image (Shot 9 times) and a neanderthal attitude to women (Surrounded By Hoes indeed) is good enough for me.
    Why do you call it a ludicrous hard man image? Believe it or not he did actually live through the things that he raps about. It's not him or his record label who harp on about it, it's media outlets like MTV that do. But that's irrelevant anyway... I'm not a 50cent fan, and the quality or genre of the music is irrelevant to me. The reason you get your bottle caps taken off you at gigs is because of assholes throwing closed bottles at performers and hurting them. A crowd of a few thousand people throwing plastic bottles at a performer is dangerous, and the intention cannot be protest, it can only be to cause injury. Perhaps all those people are naive enough to think they're partaking in a legitimate protest, but I doubt that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

i think people are missing out when they say 'j5 and blah blah get good reception why didnt 50cent'..

Ive listened to j5 since 98, and still to this day love them! The thing behind j5 is the culture they bring to a festival, where as 50 cent... nothing special other than him advertising his reject cloting line that came from the mr.t collection of windowlicking.

He got what was coming to him, and it should happen to him and other poxy acts like him on a more regular basis :D

• Advertisement

red_ice wrote:
    i think people are missing out when they say 'j5 and blah blah get good reception why didnt 50cent'..
    And you're missing the point when you bring up the fact that you prefer J5 to 50cent.
    daveirl wrote:
    Even more reason to denounce what these people did. A capped bottle can do serious damage. You didn't address anything else I said though...

daveirl wrote:
    That's fair enough. I still find it strange that you consider throwing a plastic projectile at a performer to be a legitimate form of protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

If you throw bottles at someone you don't like you're either a sheep or a complete scummer or somewhere in-between possibly. If you don't want to see him, then go see someone else. The fact is that the guy has sold a gazillion albums and thousands of people bought their tickets to the festival based on fiddy's appearance. For a bunch of dumbass 15yo Greenday fans to ruin it for them is a disgrace and its bullsh1t that he only got to play 3 songs or whatever while risking his focking health.
    If slayer or some band I thought were sh1t I certainly wouldn't bottle them for being sh1t, thats called being a knacker, and all you who would bottle someone are knackers!

Lodgepole wrote:
    Why do you call it a ludicrous hard man image? Believe it or not he did actually live through the things that he raps about.
    Obviously the Reading crowd don't believe that witless violent misogynistic criminal self hating scangers deserve any respect. How unfortunate.
    daveirl wrote:
    Plenty of hip hop and other non-rock acts played at Reading without being bottled off. Eg, Jurassic 5 played in between The Distillers and 100 Reasons, 2 punk bands. It's just that 50 Cent is completely and utterly useless and stupid to the point of offensiveness.

daveirl wrote:
    I can accept that some wouldn't have known the line up when the tickets were bought. And I accept that putting him before Green Day was an unfortunate choice on the part of the Reading staff. And I have no problem (to a point) with an element of the audience booing, but I haven't heard too many people agreeing that throwing bottles was dangerous and unnecessary.

"witless violent misogynistic criminal self hating scangers"

There are dozens of people like that in the rock world who would have been praised had they played at Reading.

Lodgepole wrote:
    There are dozens of people like that in the rock world who would have been praised had they played at Reading.
    No there isn't.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

flogen wrote:
    well Public Enemy, Run DMC and Jurassic 5 are from the more old school of rap, 50 Cent is just a thug riding on the coat tails of Dr Dre and Eminem....

flogen

J5 are old school now?

There were other stages to see bands at, so whoever says that 50 cent shouldn't have been booked, because greenday fans and stuff wouldn't like him, is wrong. it's not like they had to sit through it.

daveirl wrote:

Sorry maybe I should replace '15' with 'immature' which was the point I was trying to get across.
    I don't care if it was f ucking westlife were up there, if you throw bottles at someone then you are a scumbag, especially somebody who has worked their ass off to get where they are. The guy has survived nine bullet wounds and has come back to become one the most successful acts around in the world today. I think that warrants repect, don't you?

It baffles me how someone can give out about 50cent being homophobic and they can justify hundreds of bottles being thrown at someone just because they don't like him, I mean , it's ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Surely they have an age limit at these things? What's up with all the 12 year olds running around and trowing stuff at ppl then? Next time I see someone I don't like I'm going to afto chuck a few bottles of water at them; that will show the world how big and mature I am. "LOOK MA, I'M A BIG BOY"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Sorry maybe I should replace '15' with 'immature' which was the point I was trying to get across.
    I don't care if it was f ucking westlife were up there, if you throw bottles at someone then you are a scumbag, especially somebody who has worked their ass off to get where they are. The guy has survived nine bullet wounds and has come back to become one the most successful acts around in the world today. I think that warrants repect, don't you?

No. It warrants serious suspicion about the character of the person. Someone shot nine times that is not affiliated with some sort of legitimate law enforcement organisation is most likely someone heavily involved in serious criminal activity. I do not think criminals warrant respect.

And since when has getting shot had any connection with working one's ass off? He won the gangbanger lottery simple as that.
    It baffles me how someone can give out about 50cent being homophobic and they can justify hundreds of bottles being thrown at someone just because they don't like him, I mean , it's ridiculous!

Being homophobic and encouraging it in others is bigotry of the worst kind, not liking someone because of their words and actions is a judgement, in this case a sound one. Admittedly throwing bottles is an extreme manifestation of that judgement but in their defense I doubt politely saying "please mr cent could you stop uttering your hate filled product and return to wherever you came from immediately" would have had any effect.

• Advertisement

John R wrote:
    No. It warrants serious suspicion about the character of the person. Someone shot nine times that is not affiliated with some sort of legitimate law enforcement organisation is most likely someone heavily involved in serious criminal activity. I do not think criminals warrant respect.

And since when has getting shot had any connection with working one's ass off? He won the gangbanger lottery simple as that.

Being homophobic and encouraging it in others is bigotry of the worst kind, not liking someone because of their words and actions is a judgement, in this case a sound one. Admittedly throwing bottles is an extreme manifestation of that judgement but in their defense I doubt politely saying "please mr cent could you stop uttering your hate filled product and return to wherever you came from immediately" would have had any effect.

You cannot just assume he was involved in criminal activity because he was shot, you don't know that. The guy probably grew up the worst estate in the city and it was inevitable that he may have been in close proximity to shootings at some point.
    And he does not actively turn people against homosexuals. Yeah sure he says '****' now and again but so does nearly everyone. I've heard him interviewed and he actually seems like a decent guy and when questioned on the issue of homosexuality he says that he doesn't like it but has no problem unless some bloke comes on to him or anything like that.
    And besides I seriously doubt that a bunch of drunk teenagers decided on the protest based issues they have with 50cent's views on morality.

John R wrote:
    He won the gangbanger lottery simple as that.

Go to google. Do a search for "50 cent biography". Note the working his ass off element of the story.
    John R wrote:

So you're saying that all the people who threw bottles were protesting against his hate filled lyrics? I'd never heard that accusation before this thread, and i've tried googling and still found nothing. I'm not saying it isn't true, but it's ludicrous to believe that this was some kind of mass protest against that. Could it be that it was half people who thought he was doing a disservice to the festival and half people who thought he was homophobic? I wonder then exactly who it was who bottled The Rasmus at the same festival...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You cannot just assume he was involved in criminal activity because he was shot, you don't know that. The guy probably grew up the worst estate in the city and it was inevitable that he may have been in close proximity to shootings at some point.

in August 1994 he pleaded guilty to felony charges of peddling heroin and crack cocaine.

in August 1994 he pleaded guilty to felony charges of peddling heroin and crack cocaine.

You failed to point out the fact that he was raised up till the age of eleven or twelve by his prostitute mother until she was found dead. Those charges were was when he was 18. He has since become a loyal father to his child and it was his relentless pursuit of respect and a record deal that made him who he is, not some 'lottery'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You failed to point out the fact that he was raised up till the age of eleven or twelve by his prostitute mother until she was found dead. Those charges were was when he was 18. He has since become a loyal father to his child and it was his relentless pursuit of respect and a record deal that made him who he is, not some 'lottery'.

i never said it was some lottery. i dont agree with him having bottles thrown at him my self.

but to say he pursued a record deal for respect is bollox, its more about the money to him.

• Advertisement

I can just assume it, I DID just assume it and it turns out that I WAS correct, he is just another scumbag drug dealer, tell me again why he was such a bullet magnet.
    And he does not actively turn people against homosexuals. Yeah sure he says '****' now and again but so does nearly everyone. I've heard him interviewed and he actually seems like a decent guy and when questioned on the issue of homosexuality he says that he doesn't like it but has no problem unless some bloke comes on to him or anything like that..

So he came over all nice in an interview, that MUST mean he is a wonderful person. It couldn't be because interviews are treated as PR stunts by all but the most stupid and jaded celebrities, perish the thought.

Oh and no "nearly everyone" does not say **** every now and then.

I would have thought that someone so obviously immersed in American "ghetto culture" would have some understanding that the user and the context of use of certain racist/sexist/bigoted slurs is far more important than the frequency of their use. Or maybe you think it is perfectly acceptable for non-black people to use the word ****** every now and then.
    And besides I seriously doubt that a bunch of drunk teenagers decided on the protest based issues they have with 50cent's views on morality.

It was only teenagers at the festival now?
    And of course festival goers cannot have any such complex thoughts about morality or bigotry. After all they were just a bunch of brain dead headbangers that threw bottles at everyone that wasn't some satan worshiping death metal band, isn't that right?

Lodgepole wrote:
    Go to google. Do a search for "50 cent biography". Note the working his ass off element of the story.

I will put that right at the top of my reading list...No really, I will.
    Lodgepole wrote:
    So you're saying that all the people who threw bottles were protesting against his hate filled lyrics? I'd never heard that accusation before this thread, and i've tried googling and still found nothing. I'm not saying it isn't true, but it's ludicrous to believe that this was some kind of mass protest against that. Could it be that it was half people who thought he was doing a disservice to the festival and half people who thought he was homophobic?

I really have no idea why they decided to fling stuff at him. Everything from people who hated what he stands for to people who hated him because of the colour of his skin via people who were bored and had a spare bottle handy I imagine.
    To be honest I find the whole thing rather amusing, especially the indignation about it all.

Lodgepole wrote:
    I wonder then exactly who it was who bottled The Rasmus at the same festival...

People who didn't get to the 50cent bottle throwing orgy in time but had already bought the bottles?

John R wrote:
    I will put that right at the top of my reading list...No really, I will.

Fair enough but don't go around making statements about a performer without even bothering to check if they're true or not. I don't have any interest in 50cent but I looked it up to make sure I wasn't talking out of my arse.
    John R wrote:
    And of course festival goers cannot have any such complex thoughts about morality or bigotry. After all they were just a bunch of brain dead headbangers that threw bottles at everyone that wasn't some satan worshiping death metal band, isn't that right?

What part of "bunch of drunk teenagers" led you to think he was talking about headbangers or satan worshipping death metal fans? As one of the other people who mentioned youth in this thread, I stand by my thought that it was mainly those 18 and under and those waiting for Greenday that threw these bottles. Never heard Greenday described as a satan worshipping death metal band before...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Strange, Kurt Cobain is seen as a "god" of the reading festival, yet he was a junkie who screwed over his own bandmates, married a skag, had a kid who was exposed to heroin in the womb (and probably was born addicted as a result, though as the records are sealed we'll never know for sure), then left the baby in the care of other junkies while pursuing his own addiction.

Swell guy. But strangely he never got bottled. The bottlers are assholes. Nobody forced them to stand there while he was playing. Get over it.

edit: by that logic, when there was a riot at Woodstock 99 and lots of girls got raped, they "deserved" it because the rapists were forced into it and the girls should have known not to get caught up in a riot with a bunch of drunken scum in the first place, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I was at reading in 2000 and eminem couldnt play as he was up in court etc. This was the same day i think as Slipknot, Rage Against The Machine, Limp Bizkit etc etc... the heavy rock day in other words....

Someone had the great idea of putting daphne and celeste on instead of eminem!!! Thats a bad idea with that type of crowd....

They got the exact same treatment.... It was mainly paper cups etc, but it was a constant barrage of **** being thrown before they broke down crying and ran off the stage.... It was very funny... I blame the promoters for putting on a silly act like that....

Daphne and Celeste? Who are they?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I dunno if this has been mentioned already but there's a 50 cent fan trying to bring charges against him after 50 cent through his mic at him in the crowd and knocked him out.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/09/13/story166320.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Strange, Kurt Cobain is seen as a "god" of the reading festival, yet he was a junkie who screwed over his own bandmates, married a skag, had a kid who was exposed to heroin in the womb (and probably was born addicted as a result, though as the records are sealed we'll never know for sure), then left the baby in the care of other junkies while pursuing his own addiction.

Swell guy. But strangely he never got bottled. The bottlers are assholes. Nobody forced them to stand there while he was playing. Get over it.

Frances bean cobain was born a completely healthy baby, and yes, heroin free. And whatever your opinion of courtney love, that hardly has any bearing on the topic in discussion here. Someones wife has no influence on whether they get bottled, skank or otherwise.
    The fact is, 50 cent is a scumbag ex-drugdealer who glorifies violence and put in front of a crowd of mainly rock fans, is going to get bottled no matter what, because lets face it, people at these kind of festivals are usually more liberal tree hugger types.
    Yes cobain did drugs, and was a prick to his bandmates, but the same could be said for 90% of bands nowadays.
    Im not some ultra conservative hip hop hater, i was listening to tha chronic years ago before eminem made it popular for white kids to listen to rap. Im jsut saying your argument is a load of bollocks, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Yawn, old news, you guys are so behind the Times

Majority of the bottle throwers are probably just copying everyone else. At the REM gig in Landsdown there were a coupld of boggers throwing bottles and money trying to hit michael stipe. Not being in a good mood i smashed the fookers nose in for being such a spa and made sure he knew why I did it. Felt bad afterwards but the ignorant bogger was wrecking my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Frances bean cobain was born a completely healthy baby, and yes, heroin free.

1: The records are sealed so you don't know that at all.
    2: The skag was taking heroin while pregnant so it is extremely difficult for the baby to avoid it.
    And whatever your opinion of courtney love, that hardly has any bearing on the topic in discussion here. Someones wife has no influence on whether they get bottled, skank or otherwise.
    The fact is, 50 cent is a scumbag ex-drugdealer who glorifies violence

Hands up who both missed the point and contradicted themselves. Kurt was a scumbag ex-drugdealer who glorified violence (usually against himself but not always). People are saying on the one hand "50 is immoral and has a bad personal history, ergo he should be bottled." Now you say "Kurt was immoral and had a bad personal history but he shouldn't be bottled." Which is it? Either your personal life has a bearing on the issue or it doesn't. Since you're not going to sell Kurt down the river, we will have to conclude that someone's history or personality gives nobody the right to bottle them at a concert they haven't been forced to attend.
    and put in front of a crowd of mainly rock fans, is going to get bottled no matter what, because lets face it, people at these kind of festivals are usually more liberal tree hugger types.

Bwwwaaaahhaaahhaa

Moron.

1: Liberal tree hugger types DONT THROW BOTTLES AT PEOPLE FOR NO REASON. That's one of the things that makes them "tree huggers".
    2: Rockers and metallers are not liberal tree hugger types. I don't see Marilyn Manson up a tree boasting about his pocket mulching skills. Simpsons joke
    Yes cobain did drugs, and was a prick to his bandmates, but the same could be said for 90% of bands nowadays. Im jsut saying your argument is a load of bollocks, tbh.

And the comments made about 50 apply to 90% of rappers. It's your argument that's bollocks.

50 Cent is an artist (like him or not) who was paid to perform at a festival - THIS IS HIS PROFESSION. Therefore, he was NOT in the wrong. Nor were the promoters. Even if the assholes who started the bottling didn't know when they bought their tickets that he was on the bill they'd have to be deaf blind and dumb not to know about it in the weeks before, or on-site. Since that argument is proved bollocks, and the "personal history" argument is proved bollocks, perhaps you have another defense for the bottlers that can't be shot down by a crippled nun?

Bear in mind that bottling incidents like this make it more difficult to get licenses to hold festivals. Keep it up assholes, maybe Reading will get cancelled next year due to rising insurance costs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement