Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking Pci-e Its Soooooooo Hot-not

Options
  • 11-09-2004 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

what you think of this ...just to brust the bubble about the new pci express set up ...im running the asus p5ad2 deluxe mobo with a 1GB OF ddr2 kingston 533 mhz and a socket 775 p4 3.4 and at the moment im running a x600xt until midweek when i put mt X800XT PE PCI-E ...AT THE MOMENT IM RUNNING @ 4121GHZ AND MY MEM IS 646 MHZ AND MY TEMP AT IDLE WITH THE STOCK HSF IS BETWEEN 26 c AND 30C ITS A BEAST FOR OVERCLOCKING HERES SOME SNAPS BELOW
    I HAVNT EVEN PUSHED IT HARD YET OR MESSED WITH THE BIOS "WHICH IS VERY GOOD"
    IMAGINE WHAT IM GOING TO GET WHEN I PUT SOME WATER COOLING INTO THIS BABY WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW

http://tinypic.com/4p7is

http://tinypic.com/4p7nr

http://tinypic.com/4p7k5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Please bear in mind these are state of the art componants and if you cream all over them it will impair performance and/or invalidate one or more warranties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

Please bear in mind these are state of the art componants and if you cream all over them it will impair performance and/or invalidate one or more warranties.

IS THAT NOT WHAT THIS FORUM IS ABOUT SORRY IM IN THE WRONG PLACE :o

only jokeing i havnt broke any warranites cos all i did was increase the both fbs on the cpu and mem ....i didnt mess with any voltage or even touch the graphics ...this board was designed with overclocking in mind hence the opions in the bios

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

thats a nice overclock alright, look forward to seeing it with watercooling! How much did all that set u back?

4-5-5-15 :rolleyes:

u can lose the caps lock too

uups in my excitment i didnt cop i had cap lock on sorry ...i got this without messing with any voltage setting just a straight forward fbs increase and a increase with the memorey fbs .... i did not overclock the graphics and dont intend doing that until i put my X800XT in to it .....

it was costly mem came to 189 -itdirect
    p4.3.4 775 came to 327 -itdirect
    the mobo " asus p5ad2 deluxe " was very dear but worth every penny 290 odd -itdirect
    the graphics was 234 all from -itdirect
    all in all its not really that dear when you think of what your getting for your money ..the abit aa8 max3 is cheaper but you get 8 sata 3 ide triple raid and matrix raid and 54g wireless networking and a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Very nice system

• Advertisement

anybody out there know where ill pick up a good water cooling system that will do thr ati X800XT PCI-E and the p4 775 socket set please let me know thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

...AT THE MOMENT IM RUNNING @ 4121GHZ AND MY MEM IS 626 MHZ AND MY TEMP AT IDLE WITH THE STOCK HSF IS BETWEEN 26 c AND 30C ITS A BEAST FOR OVERCLOCKING HERES SOME SNAPS BELOW

F*** me!! Thats on a stock cooler with those temps, without increasing voltage......... have you a SiSandra CPU benchmark by any chance, must be really high?

On the watercooling thing www.dangerden.com have the S775 waterblock, i dont think they have the X800 one. Heres a list of watercooling suppliers....... http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=126143

www.hitide.ie might get it in for you, there pretty on the ball generally and innovatek arent a bad kit...... plus you can drive up and collect (and no C.Cards needed).

Congrats on the overclock so far, amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Hitide r sweet, ur man that owns its sound n is as good to deal with as u ;-) Id say he'll be able to get u whatever u need.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice rig :)

Very impressive cpu temperature, especially with intel stock HSF. Like that Asus utility as well. Bring in the H20 and up those voltages :cool:

Why did you buy from itdirect? Those prices ain't that bad, but online would have been a lot cheaper
    Jammer wrote:
    4-5-5-15 :rolleyes:

DDR2 has higher latency. The lowest in the market atm is 4-3-3-12. Also remember that he hasn't upped the vdimm yet

unkel wrote:
    Nice rig :)

Very impressive cpu temperature, especially with intel stock HSF. Like that Asus utility as well. Bring in the H20 and up those voltages :cool:

Why did you buy from itdirect? Those prices ain't that bad, but online would have been a lot cheaper

DDR2 has higher latency. The lowest in the market atm is 4-3-3-12. Also remember that he hasn't upped the vdimm yet

i dont have a credit card and those fools at paypal will only let me take money from my account into my irish bank acc ...and not put money into it

the guys in itdirect where pretty good at getting these parts for me......... they and peats are the only ones who seem to be jumping on the pci-e bus :) at the moment ...ive to pick up the x800xt this week so it will be nice to see some of the scores i get on that .....at idle with stock hsf with side panel of im getting 20c ...i cant get over that ..ive used mbm5 ...asus probe and other temp displays

the kingston ddr im useing 1gb "got another 512mb yesterday " will go to 633 without any probs due to the asus board having a native 600 drr ...

on sisoftsandra i got 11800 or so on the cpu benckmark and 5500 on the memory
    ..i still havnt messed with the voltage till i get the x800xt ...then i will hit it through the roooooooooooooooooo :cool: offfffffffffffff

• Advertisement

Too much money n spare time, thats ur problem ;-) If u ever find you've and excess of money and not enough time to spend it give me a bell n i'll spend it for ye!!

now that you bring it up ill need help with that few bob i won on the lotto last night ;) then again a few alienware and savarow systems would put a big hole even in the 7 mill i won last night :eek:

I knew there was something I was meant to do yesterday!!! Dang.

heres a review of the mobo im using not the best review but here it is anyhow

http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/asus-p5ad2-premium/index05.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

nice result! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Nice one Dub. Thats a kick in the teeth for all the Prescoot doubters. I knew they would get the temps down with newer steppings. Yours is a D0 right dub? Mine was the C0. Nice overclock man, get that water cooling in and up those voltages, I want to see how far it will go.

S478 is officially dead.

BloodBath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

thats crazy....775 it is so....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Damm thats good, Kinda like the "old" 2.4 P4 that goes to 3.2 (Like im running!) Is it really stable with the stock cooling? Thats very impressive, I may have to start looking at upgrading........ Damm you!

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is it really stable with the stock cooling?

The stock HSF looks pretty impressive compared to the previous gen. Maybe it's an improved 7000 in disguise? :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

hmmmm i think is is time to get new a mobo,cpu,gfx,ddr2- Dub all i can say is wow have to get me one-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Damm those are some sweet overclocks man :)

Gonna be real nice to see what that x800 can do to 3dmark 01 + 03 along with Aquamark :D

im planning on putting together a matrix raid .....which for those who never heard of this...it raid0 and raid1 together on 2 harddrives instead of 4 which will give the system a slight increase in proformance and also be able to back up the system in case anything goes wrong ....im hopeing to get the new maxtor plus 10 harddrives which go up as far as 300gb ..they are meant to be the same speed if not faster than the raptors ..it would be nice and as far as i know not as dear as buying the raptors

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

dubdvd wrote:
    im planning on putting together a matrix raid .....which for those who never heard of this...it raid0 and raid1 together on 2 harddrives instead of 4 which will give the system a slight increase in proformance and also be able to back up the system in case anything goes wrong ....im hopeing to get the new maxtor plus 10 harddrives which go up as far as 300gb ..they are meant to be the same speed if not faster than the raptors ..it would be nice and as far as i know not as dear as buying the raptors

Those new Martox are fast but not quite as fast as the Raptors from reviews Iv seen. They are damm nice tho :)

just got the X800XT vivo PCI-E ...its not the one i ordered of peats its a sapphire and not the asus but what the hell.... time to put the pressure on this rig now and enjoy DOOM3 in its ultra high glory with post some benchmarks latter :D

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh im going to go mad ....just went to install the bleedin graphics card ....and sussed i cant use it "today anyhow" there is the new power socket on it as seen here in the lower card http://www.tweakers.net/nieuws/34205 ...the new 6 pin 2x3 plug is needed for this ..im waiting for a new psu from itdirect they should have one tomorrow ..im getting the neopower 480watt because it has the new 24 pin power cable needed for the motherboard ..im using the normal 20 pin at the moment ...sh#t to it ...more bloody money . :mad: . i feel a divorce coming on :confused:
    ive just been on the asus site they do give a converter for the gpu its the normal 4 pin molex that goes into the 6 pin pci-e power socket ..i wonder if peats sell them ...them swines in sapphire should have put one in the box

heres the snaps of the sisoft sandra cpu benchmark not bad ahh
    http://tinypic.com/520wp

heres a snap of the memory benchmark on sisoftsandra on the ddr2 i now ill get higher than this.... but heres a taste without a voltage increase

http://tinypic.com/53f3a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Col_Loki wrote:
    On the watercooling thing www.dangerden.com have the S775 waterblock, i dont think they have the X800 one.

i got the dangerden maze4 gpu block on radeon x800 xt pe and it works fine.
    maybe dangerden didn't update their pages yet, but there's no issues with this block. and it cools the baby to under 40C full load. :)

netman wrote:
    i got the dangerden maze4 gpu block on radeon x800 xt pe and it works fine.
    maybe dangerden didn't update their pages yet, but there's no issues with this block. and it cools the baby to under 40C full load. :)

where did you pick that up netman ..and what type of watercooling set up have you got.. i must get on to hightide . to be honest .im a bit lost when it comes to watercooling..i have an general idea of how it works and so on what has caught me eye is pellit cooling what would you think of that ..any feed back wouuld be great ....thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

dubdvd wrote:
    where did you pick that up netman ..and what type of watercooling set up have you got.. i must get on to hightide . to be honest .im a bit lost when it comes to watercooling..i have an general idea of how it works and so on what has caught me eye is pellit cooling what would you think of that ..any feed back wouuld be great ....thanks

i got it off someone on boards a while back. really good waterblock, it had to be cleaned and sanded but it works great.

i had an innovatek graph-o-matic on it before, and there's 2-3C difference between the two blocks.. innovatek is a very basic one (no channels, just water flowing over the copper block), and dangerden is a pretty complex block with a larger mass and water channels cut into it.

i also have a few spare parts lying around, if you're building a new watercooling kit i might have a few things you could use. got two tanks from innovatek that mount straight on to the pump (big and small one), makes filling and bleeding really easy, and i have a spare eheim 1048 pump (600 l/h). also have some tubing and anti-kink springs and a few other bits & pieces.

peltier cooling is something you'd rather stay away from, trust me :)
    it sounds really good in theory, but it can get messy real easy. i've dabbled into it a few years back, eventually got it right, and then decided it just wasn't worth the hassle. if you want to do some extreme cooling i could help you build it properly. anyways, the biggest problem with peltiers is that it will cool down the cold side to sub-ambient temperatures, and that's when condensation occurs. the hot air will get in contact with the cold surface and hey-presto, you got a few droplets of water on your cpu/motherboard. proper insulation is the key, and when i say proper i mean nearly airtight insulation with silicone. gaskets and all that stuff still let enough air in to make a mess. and you need to insulate the INSIDE of the socket as well, since there'll still be some air left that holds a bit of moisture.

another problem with peltier cooling is that you need to cool the cpu AND the peltier block.. they create a tempeature difference between the two sides, and as long as you can cool down the "hot" side that means the "cold" side stays really cold and cools down the CPU quite nicely. for example with a 80-90W pentium4 and 100-120W peltier block, you'll need a system that can handle 200W of heat. watercooling can do that for you, but any other component in the watercooling loop is going to get hot water flowing down and for example you'll end up heating the graphics card instead of cooling it :)

i'll drop you a pm if you want to hear more about it.. also got some photos of the whole thing done on air cooling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Peltier cooling is good, temerature wise, but dodgy as hell. It has been described as the most dangerous cooling for pc's. friom what ive read, condensation is the big problem with it. U'd be safer with phase change. Pelt cooling can get gr8 temps though, u just have to really protect ur hardware against condensation. If u are not familiar with watercooling or phase change , then i wuld not go for pelt cooling, unless u can get someonje to do it that knows what they are doing. Go for a mach II or vapochill man. And watch those temps in minus :D . If ur using pelt just be careful and take ur time

Advertisement