Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router G or B?

• 11-09-2004 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I'm running on a normal 512k connection, I have a wireless network setup with a that is 802.11b
    What would be the difference if the wirless modem was G instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

g will give you faster data transfer between computers on your network - if you want reliable MPEG2 streaming this is the one to go for, b is fine for mp3 streaming. As far as broadband is concerned there's no difference in speed between b or g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

visigoth wrote:
    I'm running on a normal 512k connection, I have a wireless network setup with a that is 802.11b
    What would be the difference if the wirless modem was G instead?
    802.11b is capable of 11Mbps speeds (~20 times as fast as your typical DSL connection). 802.11G is capable of 54Mbps (~100 times as fast as your typical DSL connection). In practice, you'd be lucky to actually achieve half those rates under anything other than ideal conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ken90

11G is already faster than 512k.
    G would be no improvement .
    If needed, upgrade bb.

Advertisement