Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skyDSL?

• 11-09-2004 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Right, at the moment, it'll be ages (literally) before I'll be able to get broadband. I just came across this site and it caught my interest. The prices seem very low, but I just wanted to know a few things about satellite bb before I go any further. So if anyone has satellite, could they give me a bit of info on it? What it's like for gaming, does it use a second phone line or does it use my existing one?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

one way satellite brodband systems are not recomended for gaming due to time delay. Yes your download speed is broadband but there is a delay between sending and receiving. this can cause problems with most games.

your existing phone line can be used but you can't make phone calls and surf at the same time (unless you have a second line or isdn oviously). also most of these services require a connection to your existing isp for upload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Spike wrote:
    Right, at the moment, it'll be ages (literally) before I'll be able to get broadband. I just came across this site and it caught my interest. The prices seem very low, but I just wanted to know a few things about satellite bb before I go any further. So if anyone has satellite, could they give me a bit of info on it? What it's like for gaming, does it use a second phone line or does it use my existing one?
    Thanks

It uses a regular dial up service for the upload connection so add the cost of flatrate dial up and you are looking at €30 + €25 (UTV 180 hours) a month for their cheapest non metered product

It is of no use at all for games, any high orbit satellite has huge latency in addition to the extra hops from your dial up isp to the satellite provider.

You will also need a satellite dish, LNB and cabling installed. A sky dish that is being used is of no use as it is pointing at the wrong satellite. From their chart it looks like an 80cm dish is needed. The sky mini-dish is 60cm.

I had a different one-way satellite service for two years, it is better than dial-up for downloading and browsing (particularly image rich pages) but for gaming forget about it. There is no comparison to dsl or cable BB though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

SKY dish will not do.

Other one way sat systems like silvermead cpsat and netsystem are available from the same part of the sky AS sky ....therefore a sky dish could do it although an 80cm dish is recommended for a lot of this stuff while most sky dishes are 60cm. These are are broadcasting from a position some 36 Degrees further west than the 28E position used by SKY .... and others. You should consider europeonline if you need a new dish anyway especially if they are doing a cheap dish n card deal as they can do .

From the SKYDSL FAQ
    3.2 I already have a satellite dish to watch TV. Can I use this dish?
    If you do not need your existing dish for TV reception, you can readjust it to the skyDSL satellite. You need a digital LNB in order to use skyDSL. However if you want to continue receiving TV programs with your existing satellite dish, you will need a separate dish for skyDSL.

3.3 Can I use a multifeed satellite antenna to use skyDSL and watch TV via one antenna?
    No. A multifeed antenna can only receive signals from two or more satellites if the difference of orbital position of these satellites is < 6°. Relevant TV satellite positions are: Astra 19° east *, EUTELSAT Hotbird (TV) 13° east.
    The skyDSL satellite is on 8° west which means that the angle difference is well above the acceptable value of 6°.
    *This orbital position refers to the zero meridian (Greenwich meridian). Please refer to your user manual for the elevation and azimuth of the skyDSL satellite.

HTH

M

Advertisement