Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

extending a bonnet?

Options
  • 11-09-2004 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

how is this done? It looks so flush, and i wouldnt expect it to be a completely new bonnet as i was at the motor show in the RDS earlier and i saw a civic with it done, just wanna know the rough details on it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

izopon(i think thats how you spell it) and some sort of carbon fibre cutout id say

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

usually done by welding on an extra piece of metal to your chosen design onto the front of the bonnet!!

fairly easy in theory but the lines have to match and be on a similar curve to the original of the bonnet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

smokey2 wrote:
    usually done by welding on an extra piece of metal to your chosen design onto the front of the bonnet!!

fairly easy in theory but the lines have to match and be on a similar curve to the original of the bonnet!!

I would imagion it would be a simple task if it was a weld... it would be one deisgn, drawn onto a piece of metal, then flipped and outlined onto another, then hammered if that was the case.. Never the less, it looks sweet.. (not really the fangs, that was just an example). You sometimes see people with 'eye covers/lids' on their car, which just look poo - have to do that with the bonnet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

red_ice wrote:
    You sometimes see people with 'eye covers/lids' on their car, which just look poo - have to do that with the bonnet :)

na, some lids look good imo:

023a.jpg

I've seen what your describing done on a few corsa's, it does look smooth and natural depending on how good the quality of the work is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

red_ice wrote:
    how is this done? It looks so flush, and i wouldnt expect it to be a completely new bonnet as i was at the motor show in the RDS earlier and i saw a civic with it done, just wanna know the rough details on it!

Is called - full bonnet skin.
    made of fibre glass, gets fitted on top of original bonnet, (might require few cuts) then filler at the edges for smoothness.

the paint job is art.

• Advertisement
Advertisement